The differences between cruisers from different countries

Velvetwater

All y'all from the "Great White North" need to cruise from Houston/Galveston. The boots, blue jean, and string tie crowd surely out national costumes the Scots.

Somebody needs to remind the Texans that they aren't a nation, no matter how badly they wish it.

I fear that the UK might actually revert to Imperial thanks to Brexit (maybe not shillings & ha'pennies though!), and Canadians over about 30yrs old all measure height & weight in Imperial measures; everyone measures beer by the pint (even though there is no single definition of a pint in Canada!); but at least everyone does everything in metric at school so another few generations (and a ban on Americans immigrating unless they swear to learn what a litre is!!!) should see us be very consistent;-)

But you misread my commentary re: citizenship - it's TAXES that I'm referring to. Literally only one other country on the planet taxes people for the privilege of being a citizen regardless of where they live - Eritrea, which levies a 2% income tax on all expats. The Philippines used to do the same as the US, because they modeled a crapton of their legislation on that of the US - they stopped in 1996. The USA now stands completely alone in demanding that every citizen, regardless of where they live, has to file a tax return - even if they have never lived there and never do, and even if they pay more in tax abroad than they would 'at home' (which is certainly the case for all Canadian & British-resident Americans I know). Since FATCA, the US has also been leading the world in citizenship renunciations - so many joint Canadian citizens are giving back their US citizenship that Ottawa now sees bus tours organized for mass renunciation declarations at the US embassy!

Incidentally, you can easily become a US citizen based on parentage (I know many who were born abroad - they just can't be president by current interpretation of the constitution!) Since 1790 you can claim citizenship if both parents were citizens; only your father had to be a citizen if he was married since 1855; only your mother since 1934 (and even 'unwed mothers' since 1955). Aside from a residency requirement to retain citizenship that was in place from 1940-1978, folks claiming citizenship by right of birth have never even needed to set foot in the USA to earn and keep it.

Since this is all getting a bit dry and factual now instead of the light-hearted stereotypes the thread began with (my apologies for raising the tone!), I'll pull it back around to something more akin to the original topic:

Can any other nation claim a higher proportion of cruisers who bring and wear any traditional 'National Dress' than my fellow Scots? Aside from a few Saris, one Kimono, and a couple of high-collared Chinese silk gowns - all worn by ladies - and a handful of 'Mao Shirts' worn with otherwise regular Tuxedos by gentlemen, I actually can't think of any other 'traditional clothing of Country X' outfits that I've seen while cruising.

NB: I'm not talking about culturally/religiously required headwear and the like! Just the completely 'free choice' options - any Germans bring lederhosen for example?

Americans know what a liter is. It is the larger size bottle of liquor. Or a LARGE beer. :)

Citizenship can be by parents or by location of birth. If parents are US citizens, child is US citizen. But there is a restriction on time out of the US on the parents. This came up before. So US citizens, other than military or Foreign Service, that have lived a long time outside the US, their children could end up not being citizens. See here - https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents

And someone born outside the US CAN be president. Natural born citizen, means citizen at birth. So child of US parents, born outside the US can be president.

Personally, I do not believe in "dual citizenship." Citizenship implies more than just having a passport or paying taxes. But that is my opinion. I know in the US, it used to be that children who qualified for more than one, had to chose US only or non-US by 18th birthday.

Personally, I do not believe in "dual citizenship." Citizenship implies more than just having a passport or paying taxes.

+1

I travel on a Canadian passport, am likely eligible for a UK one, and could have obtained an Australian passport at one time - it'll be 53 years next month since I came to Canada, this is where I am and, I guess, what I am........not interested in "One from column 'A' and one from column 'B'".

In Canada, most immigrants who have Canadian citizenship are dual citizens. Not necessarily by choice. Who bothers to go through the process of renouncing citizenship?

One exception is if you also have American citizenship because of the requirement to file and remit income tax on your world wide income. These are the only people that I am aware of who bother to renounce their citizenship after immigrating from the US to another country being born in the US and moving as an infant.

Bois Johnson , UK Cabinet Minister (born in the US) is one such person. He cannot renounce his US citizenship because the IRS wants him to file and pay capital gains tax on selling his UK homes. He , of course, refuses to do so. And you cannot renounce until you have a clearance certificate from the IRS!

Edited by iancal

That takes me back.....in the 1960s, on a ship from Australia to (eventually) England, there was a very attractive blonde Australian girl looking to work in advertising in London.

Now, in Oz, they do, or used to, call Scotch Tape 'Durex' - in England however Durex is/was a brand of contraceptives......she later related that, for an ad involving a pack of sausages, she wanted to ensure the pack didn't collapse...so asked in a loud voice if anyone "Had any Durex to put on the sausages?"

That, literally, made me laugh out loud. Heartily. Thank you.

I grew up on the Pennsylvania side of Lake Erie but we would get Canadian channels from our antenna. I sometimes feel more at home in Canada than parts of the US.

We were on a TA in October with a Canadian Captain. All Canadians received an invitation to a cocktail reception for Canadian Thanksgiving. My Dad and I were chatting with one young man who was part of a documentary film crew coming back from filming his Uncle as he visited all the places he had been during WW2. He told us he was from "the Fort Erie area". When questioned further he finally admitted to being from Buffalo and had come for the free drinks. He said he felt like he was part Canadian because he lived so close. I laughed and laughed and loved him for it.

We were on a TA in October with a Canadian Captain. All Canadians received an invitation to a cocktail reception for Canadian Thanksgiving. My Dad and I were chatting with one young man who was part of a documentary film crew coming back from filming his Uncle as he visited all the places he had been during WW2. He told us he was from "the Fort Erie area". When questioned further he finally admitted to being from Buffalo and had come for the free drinks. He said he felt like he was part Canadian because he lived so close. I laughed and laughed and loved him for it.

At our annual profession conference, we used attend the Canadian night dinner. A good friend was well up in the profession in Canada and invited us. When we pointed out we were not Canadian, he always said, we were honorary Canadians. :D

We did used to own a Canadian built sail boat. :D

Except, in Canada you drive on the right, and typically walk on the right. And on the roads, the left lane is the "fast" lane and used for passing.

So standing on the right makes sense.

But, in the UK, they drive on the left, and typically walk on the left. Passing is on the right.

So why, only on escalators, do they do it opposite?

Oh, and in Canada, if you come to a typical one up, one down escalator, the one on the right goes from your floor to the other one. And the one on your left is coming from the other floor. In the UK, most escalators, the LEFT one goes to another floor and the RIGHT one comes from that floor.

Somewhat sarcastic, but also a real question.

Yes, you go up the up escalator and down the down one. :)

The original escalators on the Underground kinked at the top, so it was better for the stationary passengers to stand to the right.

In Australia and NZ, where they drive and walk on the left, they also stand on the left side of escalators, because they never had the old style of escalator that they did in the UK

One of the things that I most enjoy about travelling is mixing with people from other countries. My experience is that there is an international subculture whose members have far more in common with each other than they do with people from their own countries.

English is the Lingua Franca of this subculture, and they tend to be well off, highly cultured or great travellers. But they don’t exclude you if you are none of those things but want to learn more about the world.

Taking a sea voyage on one of the more luxurious ships is a good way for people in this subculture to travel, because it gives them the chance to meet others from all over the world who are like them.