Voice of the Ocean

savannah2117

I saw on the Princess website they have a Voice of the Ocean show type of thing. Do you think this will be on the Alaska cruises? Has anyone went and watched it? We love watching The Voice on TV and I think this would be so fun to see fellow passengers compete in a contest like this.

Its ship dependent. Some ships have it, some don't. It doesn't matter where the ship is going.

We went to it once in December on the Coral Princess. I didn't care for it much since I did't think any of the singers were that good and preferred to do something else with my time... but I would say most of the people in the audience watching it really enjoyed it.

I believe we have seen it offered on every cruise we have been on so far. Once at a M&G the CD told us that Princess has to pay a royalty every time they have it on the ship. He seemed to indicate it was a significant amount whatever that means in $$. So far we have not been to one however but have seen them practicing in the piazza.

I heard both audition sessions on our last cruise. Most of those who tried out were fairly bad and a couple were in the "freaking horrible" range. I know they were having fun but a few of those folks were mind bogglingly bad. The guy who won was an "Elvis guy". He wore his hair like Elvis. He was almost certainly an Elvis impersonator - although not all that good. We didn't go to the actual competition. After all, I had heard the people at least twice before and some of them more than that.

It turns out that they also do the same competition for the crew. When we went to the regular crew show in the theater there were a couple of folks who had been in the crew version of The Voice. They were really much better singers than the passengers. Granted, there was the "accent" issue but, even with a Philippine accent overlay the singers were really very good compared to the folks who did the passenger version of The Voice. We were surprised at the quality of the singing from a couple of them and were glad we got a chance to hear them perform.

Saw the show on Emerald last July during our Alaska Cruise. All the contestants were great. It was a hard choice to define the winner; the finalists were all worthy. Show was outstanding and cruise director made the show. He interacted with all the contestants

I have seen Voice of the Ocean twice. The first time was fun, the second time was AMAZING. The singers that time were incredibly good -- one of them was a 12 year old with a booming, dynamic voice. Of course he won, even though the other two adults were actually even better -- BUT they both said how happy they were that the 12 year old took the prize! If you aren't sure you'd like it, just stick to the final show -- don't bother with the auditions. That can be painful. :-)

I saw on the Princess website they have a Voice of the Ocean show type of thing. Do you think this will be on the Alaska cruises? Has anyone went and watched it? We love watching The Voice on TV and I think this would be so fun to see fellow passengers compete in a contest like this.

We saw it for the first time in November on the Emerald. It is very similar to the TV show. Three Princess crew are the "coaches" and the audience, if they choose to, can participate by selecting their favourite singer. There was pretty good talent when we saw it and they get a trophy to take home too. At the entrance to the theatre, you can hand in your key card for a device. After the show, you hand the device back for your key card. It's fun.

We have seen the final two times with the only problem being the time they presented it.

The first time it was after both traditional dinner seatings were over so that anyone who wanted could attend.

The second time second seating started mid-way through the final so those with second seating could not see the entire final.

Just saw it on the Coral last month and found it to be a lot of fun. Good or bad voices, appreciate the effort and it isn't quite an hour long.