Azamara pricing

MrMojoRisin

We have sailed with Azamara many times and have always really enjoyed being on board. We would always prefer to sail on Azamara but the steep increases in price are now a disincentive.

We were very interested to see that in April 2019 there is a round Japan cruise so we priced this up with one of our usual agents. We also noticed that there was a Silversea cruise at approximately the same dates and also for 13 nights, albeit with a slightly different itinerary.

Having compared the deals we have booked Silversea. The price includes flights from London to Tokyo, pre and post cruise hotel, excursions and a Vista Suite ( no balcony). This has worked out cheaper than just flights and a balcony cabin on Azamara.

Loyalty can only go so far. We are sad not to be being going back on Azamara but the pricing made the decision easy.

I must admit we agree, we have booked our first Azamara cruise in many years for Christmas and New Year, our current favourite line is Oceania and the difference in per diem cost is a staggering amount more for a similar cruise . Only impulsiveness and a significant birthday got us to book just on the maths there is no comparison.

It is really a pity that Azamara is loosing loyal clients because of the price policy. But as long they have people willing to pay those prices, the tendency will continue.

Ivi

I agree but I do wonder how long people will continue to pay the current prices.

Azamara are walking a tightrope and may fall off if they are not careful.

I agree but I do wonder how long people will continue to pay the current prices.

Azamara are walking a tightrope and may fall off if they are not careful.

There are three cruises on Quest in June, all of which have quite a few cabins across all categories still available and it’s coming up to final payment. More than likely there will be no price drop on the website, just a lot of cabins that suddenly disappear as they go off to a consolidator somewhere to be sold at a reduced price. It’s very frustrating. I think it also has the effect of stuffing up many of the LCV upgrades that could be offered. It’s obviously an efficient way for them to fill the ship though and none of their loyal guests who book ahead are any the wiser.

Phil

There are three cruises on Quest in June, all of which have quite a few cabins across all categories still available and it’s coming up to final payment. More than likely there will be no price drop on the website, just a lot of cabins that suddenly disappear as they go off to a consolidator somewhere to be sold at a reduced price. It’s very frustrating. I think it also has the effect of stuffing up many of the LCV upgrades that could be offered. It’s obviously an efficient way for them to fill the ship though and none of their loyal guests who book ahead are any the wiser.

Phil

What does it mean that they go off to a consolidator? Can others than Azamara offer Azamara cabins at reduced prices? Who are those consolidators?

Ivi

Phil

The first cruise in june is chartered to Oz. 01-06. June Barcelona to Rome. Maybe they have alottments on the next cruise and ate just waiting to confirm. Azamara know they will sell anyway.:cool::cool:

Just got an email the other day from a well known consolidator for two Journey cruises combined together, May-June., Livorno to Lisbon with pre and post cruise packages, and possibly flights.....can’t remember that part. I agree with you Phil that this negates the LCV upgrades from occurring. It’s sad, IMO.

Just got an email the other day from a well known consolidator for two Journey cruises combined together, May-June., Livorno to Lisbon with pre and post cruise packages, and possibly flights.....can’t remember that part. I agree with you Phil that this negates the LCV upgrades datorsfrom occurring. It’s sad, IMO.

If Azamara returned to sensible prices they would probably sell all the cabins and not need to resort to consolidations and sales gimmicks.

They would also retain more loyal customers, I am sorry to say I am among many looking elsewhere.

What does it mean that they go off to a consolidator? Can others than Azamara offer Azamara cabins at reduced prices? Who are those consolidators?

Ivi

A Google search got a site that had this explanation (also brought up sites that said they were consolidators , but all US based!)

Also called cruise consolidators, cruise brokers have arrangements in place with various cruise lines and travel sellers to secure a set of rooms that they then offer to their clients at a heavily discounted rate. Oftentimes, these are last-minute deals, so you need to be pretty flexible to take advantage of some of the best-priced options.

They have detailed maps and deck plans; they know the difference between the average staterooms on each deck and position on the boat.

Some cruise brokers specialize in handling group events and destination management planning. Maybe it's a company that is planning an employee retreat, or an organizer planning a special themed cruise event. Cruise brokers can tell them about the options for booking a block of rooms and help event organizers narrow down which ships would best suit their needs.

The experience of getting a better deal for the Japan cruise with Silversea was not the first time I have got a better deal with a luxury line. Two or three years ago I got a better deal on a Baltic cruise with Regent, rather than Azamara. I remember telling Philip Herbert about this, which he found concerning.

On quite a few occasions I have recommended Azamara to friends who, after looking at the prices, have opted for one of the luxury lines instead. Just recently a couple opted for Silversea rather than Azamara on a Caribbean cruise - again, based on price.

It is sad that Azamara used to have an established niche position - priced above the mass market large ships but offering a bit of luxury in a very convivial atmosphere at a price point below the true luxury lines.

We have never cruised Azamara, we have put a deposit on a repositioning cruise from South America to Europe next year. An inside cabin is around $425 a day including taxes and port charges. We are not sure if we will keep this booking or not, we really want to try A, we like that gratuities and drinks are included unlike on Oceania.

We have sailed celebrity, Hal and ncl many times and regent once (good deal). We are finding celebrity is just too expensive this year, Hal depends on if we can find a good deal and so it is looking like a lot of ncl deals this year (also much higher in price than last year but at least with the perks involved it is bearable.

2 years ago we did 3 celebrity sailings at under 200usd a day for a balcony cabin including drinks. Now they are averaging over 400.

What were average prices for Azamara before recent rises?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Whilst agreeing Azamara prices have risen considerably I’m struggling to find cruises cheaper or better value elsewhere whilst maintaining the criteria we have for choosing accommodation onboard.

We are looking at an Azamara Pursuit Greece intensive cruise for August 2019 and have compared it with an Oceania Sirena cruise for the same time and cruise area in exactly the same deck 8 suite.

I used prices from a U.K. travel agent including flights to give a realistic equivalent and of course did not include any LCV discount we would get from Azamara. As the Oceania cruise is one day shorter I calculated a daily rate per person, Oceania worked out at £514 pppn whilst Azamara was £518 pppn. However we feel the Azamara package offers more with the included drinks and gratuities whilst Oceania offer a drinks package or $800 OBC gratuities or excursions, gratuities on Oceania would also add $23 (£17) pppn.

A Google search got a site that had this explanation (also brought up sites that said they were consolidators , but all US based!)

Also called cruise consolidators, cruise brokers have arrangements in place with various cruise lines and travel sellers to secure a set of rooms that they then offer to their clients at a heavily discounted rate. Oftentimes, these are last-minute deals, so you need to be pretty flexible to take advantage of some of the best-priced options.

They have detailed maps and deck plans; they know the difference between the average staterooms on each deck and position on the boat.

Some cruise brokers specialize in handling group events and destination management planning. Maybe it's a company that is planning an employee retreat, or an organizer planning a special themed cruise event. Cruise brokers can tell them about the options for booking a block of rooms and help event organizers narrow down which ships would best suit their needs.

I'm armed this time and monitoring it as I know one of the consolidators they use. I'll be interested to see how it goes as all of the Quest cruises in June from the 16th onward seem to have a lot of cabins at the moment. In the past and on a on a number of occasions I've looked nearer to sailing as to how many cabins are left to gauge whether it's going to be a quiet ship. From quite a number, all of a sudden the cabins disappear.

Selling cabins off cheap toward the end for those cruises that haven't sold so well has another impact. It changes the feel of the cruise and that has happened recently on at least two occasions to me. Not a typical Azamara guest experience.

Phil

Sorry made mistake , our average daily rate is 350usd for the cabin. So seems like reasonable value?

In their current pricing efforts that is very fair

I'm armed this time and monitoring it as I know one of the consolidators they use. I'll be interested to see how it goes as all of the Quest cruises in June from the 16th onward seem to have a lot of cabins at the moment. In the past and on a on a number of occasions I've looked nearer to sailing as to how many cabins are left to gauge whether it's going to be a quiet ship. From quite a number, all of a sudden the cabins disappear.

Selling cabins off cheap toward the end for those cruises that haven't sold so well has another impact. It changes the feel of the cruise and that has happened recently on at least two occasions to me. Not a typical Azamara guest experience.

Phil

Phil, we’re booked and fully paid up for the 30th June Quest Cruise. Whilst the current prices are higher than we have paid, it will be galling if they plummet nearer the time. If the ambience onboard also changes, that will be a double blow.

I suppose what you mean is a reference to a report I read about people behaving badly onboard. I do hope that doesn’t happen again. [emoji45]

Thanks Jo-b for this explanation. I will see if there is something similar in my region.

Ivi

Sorry made mistake , our average daily rate is 350usd for the cabin. So seems like reasonable value?

For a repositioning cruise (those transatlantic cruises which result because a cruise line is moving from one continent to another), you can get better prices with other cruiselines (MSC, COSTA).

However, for Azamara nowadays, US 350 per cabin, seems to be an acceptable price if you want to experience Azamara. You will not have two of the positive things about Azamara on a transatlantic, I assume. I mean on the transatlantic there is no azamazing evening and not very many small ports (destination immersion).

Every cruise line is different and all have pros and cons. The onboard experience on an Azamara ship is very nice.

Give it a try, you will most probably enjoy it.

Ivi

Only cruised once on Azamara Journey back in 2009 - got great price drop when markets dropped in 2008 - great value and great cruise. For 3 years after that, did Celebrity cruises to Bermuda and Caribbean, but for the 5 years since then it's been mostly a lot of independent land trips. Then we took Oceania Marina last September from Amsterdam-Lisbon. We enjoyed the ship - great large verandah cabin, bath with both tub and shower, free specialties, O Life with free internet and 3 shorex pp - adding in the gratuities, it was $580/cabin/night. Size of the ship not an issue - on and off the ship was a breeze. Granted, interaction with crew was limited, but service was very nice, as were our fellow passengers. Port intensive (no sea days, some late days), so we didn't mind lack of onboard activities, etc. And we don't drink alcohol, so not a factor for us in picking a cruise.

Now booked on Journey for Baltics in August and Quest for Japan next April, but also Oceania Marina for Spain/Canaries in November.

The Baltic cruise is a slow seller, and I just re-booked after another price drop that I found on a large OTA site - not showing on Azamara. Saved about $1370 from Nights on Us sale, but lost our $100 deposit and $300 OBC for re-booking - still ahead $970.. My TA called it a "secret sale" - say what?? We are in a Cat 4 OV (one of those oversized ones). Price is $592/cabin/night - with no internet (we will get LCV discount).

The Japan cruise - we booked the original Circle cruise 2 days after bookings opened but switched in Jan. to the later added prior cruise to avoid Golden Week in Japan. This meant we lost our Cat 4 OV, and with limited choices, are in a V3. Price is $1024/cabin/night. Still have to add air, excursions, etc. This price hurts.

Oceania - have stateroom with extended verandah, cruise only (no O Life - active roll call with private excursions). Price $520/cabin/night. Have gratuities from TA. Just have to add internet (add $336 if we take it for full cruise-probably won't buy it until 1st sea day).

So, definitely supply and demand at work with Azamara, but the sales pricing games are frustrating. The Oceania prices are certainly very attractive, especially with the dining options, daily afternoon tea. Really liked our cabin on Marina. Have not been on any of the Oceania R ships so cannot compare to Azamara. We don't do a lot of socializing, so the "quietness" of O suits us fine. I look at some cruises I'd be interested to take on Azamara and the prices are more than I want to consider.

As for the OP's comment on the Japan cruise, I looked at the itinerary, and while the price is better, I feel the itinerary is not comparable. Yes, both are 13 nights, but Silversea has more sea days, so a very different cruise. That being said, undecided if we will keep the booking.

I mean on the transatlantic there is no azamazing evening and not very many small ports.

I feel very privileged to have sailed Azamara Quest on a T.A ( Repositioning ) Southampton to Montreal on 09/09/16.

We choose the cruise for the ports, as we had only been to Cork beforehand.

Honfleur (France)

St Peterport ( Guernsey)

Cherburg (France)

Cork (Ireland)

3 sea days

St John’s Newfoundland

Saguenay

Quebec City

Montreal.

The ship was being transferred across ‘The Pond.’ as it had been chartered by an Australian T.A for a cruise from Montreal to Miami. In June 2016 cabins for the Charter were sold to the general public via a large UK TA. I know this, as we met a couple on board who had booked with them.

I booked a balcony cabin 6069, in October ‘14 for £2449, which included a return flight from Montreal. The flight was priced at £750. So my 15 night cruise cost me £100 p.p.p.n.

Since then I continue to search for similar pricing, but so far no luck.

Edited by upwarduk

I’m feeling lucky because we just booked a BOGOHO offer - a whole lot cheaper than we ever imagined and we found an agency that basically gave us free flights. So we’re gone from Princess and are onboard with Azamara for the first time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When on the Journey in October we were looking to book the Journey for May only to find there were no Category 5 (mid-ship Ocean View) stateroom available. Late last week received an email from a well know Seattle discount travel agent offering category 5 stateroom on B2B Journey cruises in May. Seemed strange that the offer came so long after the staterooms were not available. The problem for us is that they were guarantee and included air travel from the USA with accommodation.