Florida Senate approves Daylight Savings all year long

This would be a disaster. Sunrise in November - January would be around 8:30 AM if the plan to stay on Daylight Savings Time year round does pass.

Can you imagine the impact this would have on the tourist industry in the state? Do people at Disney World or those debarking a cruise ship really want to be in the dark that late?

I remember in 1970's before DST in Michigan. Summertime great for Farmers sun up at 5am, as it is now in AZ. But now Sun in MI is up 6am until 10PM. Hard to get kids to bed when sun is still up. Can't win some months kids are going to school while dark out of get home after dark...

This would be a disaster. Sunrise in November - January would be around 8:30 AM if the plan to stay on Daylight Savings Time year round does pass.

Can you imagine the impact this would have on the tourist industry in the state? Do people at Disney World or those debarking a cruise ship really want to be in the dark that late?

Why not just bump the disembark time back an hour? 7AM disembark is terrible anyway.

Why not just bump the disembark time back an hour? 7AM disembark is terrible anyway.

Oh sure. And you'll start boarding at 1:30P with cabins open at 2:30P. And sail away at time of first dining seating. That'll be just peachy-keen.;p

Oh sure. And you'll start boarding at 1:30P with cabins open at 2:30P. And sail away at time of first dining seating. That'll be just peachy-keen.;p

I thought boarding started around 11AM? I don't see the big deal with starting at noon.

It's a great law. The whole country should do this. Times are changing (no pun intended) and it would be nice to have as much daylight in the evenings as possible for working folk to enjoy more of their evening.

I know that this will come as a shock but some of us actually live and work here, Florida natives even. No reason for kids to go to school in the dark so you can cut your grass after work.

I know that this will come as a shock but some of us actually live and work here, Florida natives even. No reason for kids to go to school in the dark so you can cut your grass after work.

Start school later. Kids would be ok with that. If you live in Florida then you better voice your opinion to your elected officials because 33-2 is a pretty strong majority.

Part of the reason is that the people working the ports will be living in local time. They don't want to waste an extra hour. Also going to make the window for those people who want to fly in from out of state on the same day as departure much tricker November through first week of March. Not sure how airlines will handle departures. That is going to be tricky for them to manage. There are too many bad things about being one hour ahead of rest of the East Coast. I'd rather just stay on standard time all year long. I hate the idea of no sunrise until 9am.

It passed both chambers. On the way to Governor to sign.

OK...thanks...at least we won't have change our clocks twice a year anyway. Will still be odd going to other states on the east coast that are on a different time zone. :o

Start school later. Kids would be ok with that. If you live in Florida then you better voice your opinion to your elected officials because 33-2 is a pretty strong majority.

It's pretty obvious they don't listen to the residents on anything anyway. :confused::o:(

(y)

What many people don't realize is that because the entire east coast was kept in the same time zone, those of us on the west coast of Florida are about an hour behind in sunrise and sunset than those states further east on the coast. Our daylight length is also more evenly divided because we are further south.

In the summer, on DST, the sun rises where I am around 6:30 AM, sets around 7:45 PM. In the end of December, the sun rises at 7:30 AM, sets around 6:15 PM.

If we stay on DST, in December the sun will just be rising at 8:30AM and setting at 7:15 PM.

I would rather have the light in the morning and I am sure most of us here feel the same.

This whole time change thing was invented by the republicans decades ago. It was to raise money from oil & electric tariff by nights being longer and more people needing to burn more oil for heat and keeping lights on. Let them bums stop this madness. Thank goodness for the dems... corrupt thieves masking that tariff as a good resource for the farmers to have more light to tend to crops and livestock

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you post many fallacies or is this your first?

This whole time change thing was invented by the republicans decades ago. It was to raise money from oil & electric tariff by nights being longer and more people needing to burn more oil for heat and keeping lights on. Let them bums stop this madness. Thank goodness for the dems... corrupt thieves masking that tariff as a good resource for the farmers to have more light to tend to crops and livestock

Well...it passed 33-2, so.....must be a whole lot of 'bum' dems too.....

Won’t affect us as we always fly in the day before and leave after noon when we return. Wish the entire country would adopt staying on standard or daylight time year round.

Do you post many fallacies or is this your first?

Right on....Let's keep this thread limited to 'time' and 'cruising'. Why does politics have to be introduced into this discussion....???? Moderator, where are you???

Congress would have to amend a federal law if Scott signs it

Why?

Not all areas use Daylight Saving Time. (notice there is no S on Saving).

Hawaii and Arizona overall as states. And the tail of Indiana that is in Central Time.

HUH?

It does exactly the opposite. It reduces energy use by having more daylight hours when people are actually awake.

And BTW, it was invented by a British born, New Zealander.

They tried this back in the 70's and it didn't last long, if I remember correctly. The late sunrise is what killed it. I remember driving to work in total darkness.

So?

Many people (me for one) go to work (and come home) in darkness as it is for part of the year.

Can you not drive in the dark??? They have things called headlights. :D

Not sure how airlines will handle departures. That is going to be tricky for them to manage. There are too many bad things about being one hour ahead of rest of the East Coast.

Hmm, maybe they will handle it just like they handle flights from Central time to Eastern time now.

Or any cross time zone border flight. Happens every day. Heck, some flights ever cross as many as 13 time zones.

Hmm, maybe they will handle it just like they handle flights from Central time to Eastern time now.

Or any cross time zone border flight. Happens every day. Heck, some flights ever cross as many as 13 time zones.

But, the timezone doesn't usually change except in Arizona. That morning flight from NYC will now arrive one hour later four months out of the year. Also, the morning flights out of Florida will be one hour earlier 4 months out of the year. That 6am flight from NYC now arrives at 10am instead of 9am. But the 6am flight from Miami now arrives an hour earlier. Now my guess is that since FL is the only place to change, they will not change the flight times elsewhere to match so everything in Florida will be one hour later during that time. Which is good if you hate 6:00am flights out of Miami but not good if you need to make an early meeting somewhere else. It also means, less window for flying in on day of flight to Florida, assuming flight times aren't changed and they will arrive one hour later. As such, cruise departure and embarcation will remain on local time. But, it will be easier to catch a departing flight as a whole bunch of 11am departures now become noon.

Truthfully, the biggest thing that sucks are football games that kickoff at 8:30pm will now be kicking off at 9:30pm. Also sucks for people I work with who live in Georgia and work in Florida.