Garment Steamers

Banana15

Anything that creates heat is apparently a no-no. Most people use a wrinkle release instead. We found this to work great.

I was afraid of that. I have a linen pant jumper and it is NOT forgiving when it comes to wrinkles. I know I can iron it at home, but as soon as that thing goes in the garment bag, it's over.

I may have to try the wrinkle release spray at home and see how well it works. If not, I'm going to have to figure out about the laundry facility onboard.

There is no self-use laundry on any Celebrity ship. There is a laundry service you can use for a fee that would do the pressing you want done.

Something to test in advance: try putting it in a plastic bag from the dry cleaners and see how that works in relation to the wrinkles.

Alternative is also to not pack anything that wrinkles easily. Or let it be wrinkled.

The laundry prices are at the end of this FAQ:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/during-your-cruise/all-during-your-cruise-faqs

Have no Idea why they say no Steamers? Irons, I understand if left on they can cause fire steamers are filled with water and water does not cause fires. I have brought a steamer on every cruise never an issue yet. Just in case I do not pack it in my suitcase I carry the steamer on board never have an issue and I even show them at security that I have a steamer no issue. You get down to it cell phones and laptops are more of a fire hazard.

Edited by southernbreezes

They have a heating element to make the water turn into steam. That could theoretically overheat if it doesn't have a shut-off.

Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.

In the FAQ about what amenities are included in the cabin, it says: "Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for reasonable rates."

They have a heating element to make the water turn into steam. That could theoretically overheat if it doesn't have a shut-off.

Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.

In the FAQ about what amenities are included in the cabin, it says: "Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for reasonable rates."

Yes just like a cell phone charging or an I pad, laptop etc. I suppose. All the steamers I have shut down if you are not holding the trigger. The website says lots of stuff, they see what I have never been stopped and never would I not use care with any item I plug in. I unplug everything I bring on board when I am not in the cabin.

All true, except the “reasonable rates”.lol. I bring a few items that I can “steam”the wrinkles out while hanging them in the steamy shower. The rest are nylon or a type of cotton that is meant to look wrinkled.

I figure the charm of linen is that it wrinkles. Once you iron your outfit and put it on, will you just stand still before you take it off? :D

*Disclaimer: I don't iron at home and certainly don't want to on a ship. :halo:

Have no Idea why they say no Steamers? Irons, I understand if left on they can cause fire steamers are filled with water and water does not cause fires. I have brought a steamer on every cruise never an issue yet. Just in case I do not pack it in my suitcase I carry the steamer on board never have an issue and I even show them at security that I have a steamer no issue. You get down to it cell phones and laptops are more of a fire hazard.

Exactly maybe the old steamers could’ve caused a problem but the new ones have absolutely no overheating problem

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly maybe the old steamers could’ve caused a problem but the new ones have absolutely no overheating problem

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But if they are banned, they are banned. Period. Live with it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The question was whether or not they are allowed, and Celebrity currently says they aren't. It would be irresponsible to say "I get away with it" when the answer depends on who is checking and how strict they're being. Better to plan for the not being able to take it with you.

I certainly don't want to attempt to take anything on board that is forbidden. And while I am SO thankful I can take one, I certainly think a flat iron or curling iron is more dangerous than a garment steamer. But my hair without one would be dangerous on it's own, so I am NOT going to complain.

I'll have to attempt a wrinkle release and hope for the best. Worst case scenario, I pay them to fix it for me. Thanks for all the replies.

I was afraid of that. I have a linen pant jumper and it is NOT forgiving when it comes to wrinkles. I know I can iron it at home, but as soon as that thing goes in the garment bag, it's over.

I may have to try the wrinkle release spray at home and see how well it works. If not, I'm going to have to figure out about the laundry facility onboard.

I find using tissue paper when packing helps to reduce creasing in linen garments. Fold trousers in half, leg to leg and put folded paper between the halves, top to bottom. Gently fold again using another piece of tissue paper.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

I thought that "shower power" was a bunch of hooey. But my BF packed his white dress shirt in such a way it was just a wrinkled mess. So he put it in that little bathroom w/ the hot shower running for a few minutes, left the shirt in the bathroom for 30 and oh WOW!! It was amazing. Much better than the Downey Wrinkle Release I'd used in the past.

Shower Power. The shower will remove most wrinkles. Any wrinkles that are left are because of your advancing age.

See, that’s where you are wrong. I’ve been 29 for years..no advancing age here...AND if I squint just enough, I don’t have any wrinkles. I find ways around that whole age thing. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I thought that "shower power" was a bunch of hooey. But my BF packed his white dress shirt in such a way it was just a wrinkled mess. So he put it in that little bathroom w/ the hot shower running for a few minutes, left the shirt in the bathroom for 30 and oh WOW!! It was amazing. Much better than the Downey Wrinkle Release I'd used in the past.

My husband likes to do the this new “space saving” packing where he rolls everything into a ball. He insists it keep it from wrinkling, but considering he never packed a suit and dress shirt before, he’s wrong. I guess I’ll have to hide those items in MY suitcase or they really will be a wrinkled mess.

I must be stuck on stupid or something. Our rule: If its going to wrinkle THAT much, leave it home.

PS DH has several long sleeve dress shirts from Costco. Kirkland brand no wrinkle. Miracle shirts and washable.