No IMAX on the carnival panorama

mykeb14

I wonder what they will do with that space.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

more cabin space most likely.

i guess the imax was not making that much money due to the cost of the equipment and movie licencing. Makes me wonder if it is possible to remove the imax from the Vista/Horizon in say 10-15 years after the imax movie hype wears down or the technology moves on.

Carnival Cruise Line is planning to significantly increase their presence in Southern California. While many cruise lines have eliminated or position mostly older ships on the west coast for cruises to the Mexican Rivera, Carnival Cruise Line will base their brand new ship, the Carnival Panorama in Long Beach when the ship debuts in 2019.

Additionally, Carnival celebrated the grand re-opening of its 146,000-square-foot state-of-the-art Long Beach Cruise Terminal, and a multi-million-dollar port development project in Ensenada, Mexico, that will provide guests with one-of-a-kind experiences ashore.

The grand re-opening of the terminal coincides with the arrival of Carnival Splendor to Long Beach, which operates seven-day cruises to Mexico and longer-length voyages to Alaska and Hawaii, representing a 40 percent capacity increase on this route.

Carnival President Christine Duffy said:

“This is a momentous occasion for both Carnival and the City of Long Beach – not only are we celebrating the grand re-opening of this magnificent cruise terminal, but also demonstrating our commitment to the West Coast with the deployment of the spectacular new Carnival Panorama in 2019 and the announcement of an exciting new port development project in Ensenada,”

“The West Coast is an important market with vast growth potential and these initiatives further demonstrate the confidence in our future success in Long Beach. We are very much looking forward to having Carnival Panorama homeported here beginning next year.”

The Carnival Panorama will be Carnival’s third Vista Class ship and offer amazing features like the Skyride, suspended reclining bike course, IMAX theater, Carnival WaterWorks and much more.

source: https://www.talkingcruise.com/2018/02/12/carnival-panorama-in-long-beach/

more cabin space most likely.

i guess the imax was not making that much money due to the cost of the equipment and movie licencing. Makes me wonder if it is possible to remove the imax from the Vista/Horizon in say 10-15 years after the imax movie hype wears down or the technology moves on.

Probably all of this. Movie theaters don't make money off of the viewings either, it's all about the concessions which is a tougher sell for Carnival. With the space used, I'm sure they could get a better revenue stream from having more rooms vs the theater.

• 1 month later...

I found 2 links for the Carnival Panorama deck plans. The one from Carnival without the IMAX is clearly the most up to date but I found the original one from another site. It shows the IMAX and Thrill Theatre and then on the new deck plan it shows them both missing and the O2 now beside Circle C and the arcade in a different area.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/assets/deckimages/org/www.cruisedeckplans.com-deckplan.php-ship=Carnival-Panorama.png

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/Ships/PO/DeckPlans/carnival-panorama-deck-plan-pdf

John Heald said a few weeks ago that there will be something new and exciting in place of the IMAX, and it would be announced in a few months.

In a few month huh. Wonder if that will be before or after the new brilliant changes to the loyalty program.

Personally, I've LOVED having both the IMAX and Thrill Theater on the Vista and Horizon. They really did an amazing job with picture and sound quality and I can honestly say, they were among the best movie experiences I've had because of that. Furthermore, in my mind I will think of the Panorama as a bit less of a ship if it is indeed removed.

That being said, I heard through a separate grapevine that IMAX (the company) just charges way too much for the movies. I would suggest that Carnival do remove the IMAX moniker, show standard versions of new releases, and charge a bit less. It would still be a great experience.

• 1 month later...

there's already a 2 lane alley, I think, with the smaller ball/pins, on the Horizon and Vista.

I went to see Deadpool 2 on our first sea day last week, and it was nearly sold out. Not saying all showings were, because there were a lot (2-4/day of 2 different movies).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

there's already a 2 lane alley, I think, with the smaller ball/pins, on the Horizon and Vista.

I went to see Deadpool 2 on our first sea day last week, and it was nearly sold out. Not saying all showings were, because there were a lot (2-4/day of 2 different movies).

I don't think bowling on Horizon.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, no one is using the Bowling Alleys on NCL Bliss, I was just on there June 30 - July 7th, they were always open. I'm completely disappointed there will not be a Thrill Theatre/IMAX on the Panorama. When sailing on the West Coast it may be cooler at night and to try to watch a movie in the evening is very uncomfortable outside. I really hope whatever they put in that space is something everyone can and will enjoy. Movies are a great form of entertainment for those who don't always want to go to the shows. And as for Laser Tag, its a one and done thing for most, it wasn't being used very much on the NCL Bliss either. For me, I'm crossing fingers it's still some sort of movie theatre personally.

Edited by lbattaglia

Where is the bowling alley in the Vista?

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

How well attended are the IMAX movies? Big crowd? A few people here and there?

When we sailed on the Vista we saw Fantastic Beasts. Few folks here and there. Theater far from full. May be related to the time of year you cruise.