Entertainment Reports

takemewithyou

One more «Breaking News»

It might be old news to some, and it has nothing to do with entertainement. Just a short diversion from the thread. Fabio is no longer Head Chef. He has taken over as F&B Manager on Quest. Had a long talk with him and he is happy to have been given this oportunity. They are well stocked with Schweppes on board and maybe this is Fabio’s work[emoji56][emoji851]. Anyway. Just a diversion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone know who will be taking Fabio's place??

I must admit not having seen the previous effort from entertainment the only bit we recognised from last nights performance was the medley from Billy Joel sung bybJennifedcDinoia, which she synced and sang very well. The songs from Wicked we didnt know or any other of her show numbers, but she had a gorgeous voice and sang well. Her patter was awful!

Tonight is Opera Tenor David Righeschi which is planned for the pool deck, so looking forward to that.

Sparkling Duo/Trio are still the band on board and what we heard last night was fine.

Sparkling melodies with George was in Mosaics and tonight in Spirits. Has no patter but pleasant to listen to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jennifer was on our recent Journey from Singapore. Great voice! Song selection and stage chatter, not so great.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Forums mobile app

Anyone know who will be taking Fabio's place??

Nathan is the Excecutive Chef now.

Regarding Patio there had tobe a glitch in the Insider.

The Patio is Operations Normal. Day and Evening.🥂😀😀

On Journey the Patio was closed a couple of nights to accommodate special events for the World Journey Guests. Unfortunately it included embarkation day in Singapore which was when we had planned to eat there so we did not manage a visit that cruise.

I’m noticing Windows is particularly busy first night - people wanting it easy after Travel, it’s usually seafood which is always great etc - if anyone wants to avoid crowds it might be you have to use MDR that night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Jennifer was on our recent Journey from Singapore. Great voice! Song selection and stage chatter, not so great."

Appalling how Broadway-résuméd singers like Jennifer DiNoia, who played Elphaba in Wicked, can't enrapture an audience on par with an unknown guest entertainer vocalist with equal parts talent, song repertoire, and effective/engaging patter. That is a necessary triple threat in and of itself for the theatre of sea and you'd think they'd be able to do it well.

Absolutely appalling.

I'll take an unknown over a lead on Broadway any day of the week if the show is outstanding. Where are those diamonds in the rough and could Azamara save money if they hired them, instead of these failing new cultural attempts like Magic City and 54 Below actor/singers who can't entertain?

I'm genuinely curious.

Also, who have been your favorite solo show entertainers you've seen who weren't famous for something, who'd never done a lead role on Broadway or West End, etc., or who might have done one major engagement but who generally weren't well known?

Hoping I'm not heading this off-topic, but it does seem relevant somewhat to others' frustrations with the current entertainment onboard. These entertainers might very well be a good solution to the problem at hand, and possibly cheaper. I'd be very interested to hear opinions on this.

Edited by musicpro442

"Absolutely appalling" to hear someone who sings well enough to have been a lead on Broadway or the West End? Seriously? I was delighted to hear two singers with these credentials on Quest instead of the usual shipboard entertainers.

Remember...you asked for opinions.

"Absolutely appalling" to hear someone who sings well enough to have been a lead on Broadway or the West End? Seriously? I was delighted to hear two singers with these credentials on Quest instead of the usual shipboard entertainers.

Remember...you asked for opinions.

Read again.

I asked for opinions on whether or not UNKNOWN entertainers who have equal parts talent, repertoire selection, and patter who weren't big names might solve some of the dilemmas currently facing Azamara at present and for specific ones others have seen who might fit this description.

Obviously if two people in one thread are agreeing that one Broadway lead is lacking in song selection and engaging patter, the name and the voice isn't enough to embody the entire package of someone lesser known who might.

I've heard amazing vocalists who've never set foot on a Broadway stage but they received rave reviews, standing ovations, and were mobbed by fellow audience members / passengers asking WHY they weren't famous yet. Sometimes it boils down to dumb luck or the fact that someone doesn't fit a particular "type" that makes the difference between having that credit on a resume and being just as talented, if not more talented, as an unknown.

I look at the performance, not the credentials, to tell me if someone's truly the total package. Not everything that glitters is gold, as the saying goes.

That's why I think there should be more of these total packages onboard every ship, every line, and effort could be made to find them. I'm genuinely interested in whether or not an unknown total package might cut costs across the board and up the entertainment level from where it stands.

Read thoroughly and absorb context before you get on a high horse with an opinion I DIDN'T ask for.

Edited by musicpro442

I've heard amazing vocalists who've never set foot on a Broadway stage but they received rave reviews, standing ovations, and were mobbed by fellow audience members / passengers asking WHY they weren't famous yet. Sometimes it boils down to dumb luck or the fact that someone doesn't fit a particular "type" that makes the difference between having that credit on a resume and being just as talented, if not more talented, as an unknown.

Sorry for the double post. A good example of this would be Journey CD Eric who has an amazing voice and personality, on and off stage. During a recent Q&A he was asked "why not Broadway?" He articulated the challenges in aligning with producers etc. that are looking for more than "the right fit". He noted, with some regret I sensed, his just missing the chance to play the role of Raul in a production of "Phantom of the Opera" because Christine had been cast and she was 5'4"....he is 6'8" and his height has always been an obstacle to being "right for the role".

Anyway, this may be drifting off topic. Jennifer has God-given pipes. The other stage stuff can be coached/learned but hopefully before arriving on the ship stage.

We loved Jennifer's performance. I think it also boils down to «expectations». I didn't expect a fantastic show, just a decent one. Not many people in show bussiness that can capture an audience being solo on stage. People said «oohh the show needed some more», «the songs needed dancers» etc etc.

Well what would the same people say if Michael Bublé was solo on stage.

«those songs needed a symphony orchestra»?????

I think Jennifer did allright.

Last night after dinner 8.30 -9.15 when Captains toast was on the Sparkling Trio played in the Lounge Room and were fabulous, coujdnt fault their song choice or performance, maybe they’re relaxing and getting into the swing of things this cruise. Also Sasha’s My Piano World, which we’d never seen was fantastic. So far so good for us. Azamazing night tonight has changed to an evening of local folklore with singers and dancers and traditional Maltese instruments whilst enjoying traditional delicacies and fine wine!

Last night after dinner 8.30 -9.15 when Captains toast was on the Sparkling Trio played in the Lounge Room and were fabulous, coujdnt fault their song choice or performance, maybe they’re relaxing and getting into the swing of things this cruise. Also Sasha’s My Piano World, which we’d never seen was fantastic. So far so good for us. Azamazing night tonight has changed to an evening of local folklore with singers and dancers and traditional Maltese instruments whilst enjoying traditional delicacies and fine wine!

Really looking forward to the Azamazing Evening tonight. The previous venue was not good. Glad they decided to change it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk