Entertainment Reports

takemewithyou

Thank you Bob for the updates. I am sorry you missed the show. sounds like what i want to hear on a ship. glad to know Spirits is busy. i get to see Jr myself this summer and not looking forward to the new Spirits and tacky screens.

Aboard Journey. So far entertainment is a big step up from the same ship in December 2017. Riviera Trio plays in LR before dinner as well as later shows. Cabaret has had a well received comedian from Melbourne and a vocalist who was in "Wicked" in the West End as Elphaba. Her song choices need work (Billy Joel and Bonnie Raitt not good IMHO) but she has a voice. She flew in from Manhattan to perform. Tonight is the opera group. DJ in comes on around 10pm nightly.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Forums mobile app

I agree this cruise is better than last although the comedian who was also on last cruise doesn’t do it for us but that’s a matter of tastes. Agree the girl had a lovely voice but we’ve still got the issue who is briefing them on target audience. It’s interesting we were only her second cruise ship show, everyone last cruise were newbies and that’s backfiring if they miss the target.

However Azamara is listening- they’ve put the more mainstream opera show on tonight as the first one (last cruise it was their second). Hopefully they’ve tweaked the content too and that’s got more chance.

The other thing is I see an upcoming performer is Kym Purling, he’s been on Azamara a few times so maybe they’ve decided to get a few back. He is enjoyable pianist.

Yes Riviera Sounds continues to delight us and Spirits continues to upset us. Last night NO ONE was in it at 2230. So we sat in mosaic with our drinks rather than look like Billy No Mates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree this cruise is better than last although the comedian who was also on last cruise doesn’t do it for us but that’s a matter of tastes. Agree the girl had a lovely voice but we’ve still got the issue who is briefing them on target audience. It’s interesting we were only her second cruise ship show, everyone last cruise were newbies and that’s backfiring if they miss the target.

However Azamara is listening- they’ve put the more mainstream opera show on tonight as the first one (last cruise it was their second). Hopefully they’ve tweaked the content too and that’s got more chance.

The other thing is I see an upcoming performer is Kym Purling, he’s been on Azamara a few times so maybe they’ve decided to get a few back. He is enjoyable pianist.

Yes Riviera Sounds continues to delight us and Spirits continues to upset us. Last night NO ONE was in it at 2230. So we sat in mosaic with our drinks rather than look like Billy No Mates.

Goodness Ann, I just can't envisage Spirits empty at 10.30. Where is everyone? Bopping in the Living Room or turned in for the night?

Despite all these changes hope you are still enjoying your cruise.

Eric just announced that the Spirits video wall "regretfully" missed the boat in Singapore so the music director will be on the piano there for this cruise. Currently Spirits is no man's land.

Well go and liven it up then and buy a cruise.;)

Phil

Eric just announced that the Spirits video wall "regretfully" missed the boat in Singapore so the music director will be on the piano there for this cruise. Currently Spirits is no man's land.

Yes I’m gutted. Hopefully it never catches up with Journey

Hazel the disco is dead (DJs not great and discos don’t really excite us anyway). I think a lot of people are turning in early but then we have 3 days heavy tours starting tomorrow and the lowest temp at night will be 85. 110 is forecast most daytimes.

After I booked this cruise colleagues in Myanmar said you should never visit in April and should only do the Eastbound transits to there. I understand now why!

Oh well I just hope given this cruise has a lot of older guests everyone can cope.

Day Four

Earnest was good. As is typical from a performer who tries to satisfy a wide audience, there were some numbers I didn't care for as much, but he has a very nice voice and a lot of energy.

Daniel Reichard repeated last night. I suspect the repeat show so soon was so he could leave from Bermuda. Tonight, the performer is Benny Benack - a jazz trumpet player and singer.

The ship is still beautiful and the staff outstanding. The only downside is that service in the MDR has been slow a couple of times and our waiter last night got more than one order wrong at our table for eight. Still a great cruise, though.

We leave Bermuda at 2:00 and start our longer stretch of sea days as we head for the Azores.

Always like Kim and Bruce and Gravin. They should keep them on as they fill a room.

Really do not understand the lack of guests in Spirits on one ship and sonewhst better on the other ship. I would and have set down one the room empty and a few minutes later people drop in. Someone has to be first

As far as the Living Room the DJ makes it or breaks it. I had great cruises using the room and others ..one could not find a song for me. He acted like they did not have it, he did nit want to play it.

We are just off Journey and, while we don't cruise for the entertainment, what we did experience, we felt was not good.

We caught a few songs at the end of White Nights when we came back from Bangkok and our hearts went out to Eric. He was working so hard. Aside from the young male singer (sorry forget his name which is too bad as he is fabulous) the others were not good. Wrong notes, harmonies off, bad timing, etc. It was admitted to us by the Director of Guest Relations that "they have a lot of work to do".

There is a young woman playing keyboard around the ship and with the band who looks so frightened she would cry if you said boo. She is not a good pianist and we are baffled as to why she would be hired when there are so many pianists out there.

We experienced Riviera Sounds in The Living Room one evening pre dinner. The female singers' English is not good which might explain her poor interpretation of songs. What was palpable however, was the negative vibe between the trio. No interaction whatsoever and, at the end of the set, the singer grabbed her bag and literally ran off stage and out of the room.

The opera quartet sang at the LCV Loyalty event and, while the voices were good, the choice of music was odd. We both have extensive opera experience and were unfamiliar with the repertoire. There are plenty of light, familiar opera quartets and duets which would have been familiar to the audience and more appropriate. And a short intro explanation to set the stage would go a long way - what opera, by whom, characters, what has happened thus far, etc.

In our discussion with the Director of Guest Relations he noted that the entertainment budget had not been cut, it was the same as previous. My brain to mouth filter was not on, obviously, and I told him we felt Azamara was being ripped off if this was the quality of entertainment. He also mentioned that the head of entertainment from Miami was on board and we later saw her and Eric chatting in the Card Room and heard Eric mention they needed to go as they had a meeting with the Captain. I am sure ears are being filled from top to bottom of the feelings regarding the "new" entertainment.

Edited by TravelBugM

We are just off Journey and, while we don't cruise for the entertainment, what we did experience, we felt was not good.

We caught a few songs at the end of White Nights when we came back from Bangkok and our hearts went out to Eric. He was working so hard. Aside from the young male singer (sorry forget his name which is too bad as he is fabulous) the others were not good. Wrong notes, harmonies off, bad timing, etc. It was admitted to us by the Director of Guest Relations that "they have a lot of work to do".

There is a young woman playing keyboard around the ship and with the band who looks so frightened she would cry if you said boo. She is not a good pianist and we are baffled as to why she would be hired when there are so many pianists out there.

We experienced Riviera Sounds in The Living Room one evening pre dinner. The female singers' English is not good which might explain her poor interpretation of songs. What was palpable however, was the negative vibe between the trio. No interaction whatsoever and, at the end of the set, the singer grabbed her bag and literally ran off stage and out of the room.

The opera quartet sang at the LCV Loyalty event and, while the voices were good, the choice of music was odd. We both have extensive opera experience and were unfamiliar with the repertoire. There are plenty of light, familiar opera quartets and duets which would have been familiar to the audience and more appropriate. And a short intro explanation to set the stage would go a long way - what opera, by whom, characters, what has happened thus far, etc.

In our discussion with the Director of Guest Relations he noted that the entertainment budget had not been cut, it was the same as previous. My brain to mouth filter was not on, obviously, and I told him we felt Azamara was being ripped off if this was the quality of entertainment. He also mentioned that the head of entertainment from Miami was on board and we later saw her and Eric chatting in the Card Room and heard Eric mention they needed to go as they had a meeting with the Captain. I am sure ears are being filled from top to bottom of the feelings regarding the "new" entertainment.

I hope that what sounds like very poor entertainment did not mar your enjoyment of the cruise overall. Your opinion is mirroring many other guests who are currently sailing with Azamara.

The only disagreement I have with you is that it is not Azamara who is being ripped off but its guests! From an outsider's point of view it appears that the new entertainment offerings have been thrown together rather than professionally considered according to Azamara's passenger demographic. Very disappointing.

Am particularly troubled by your assessment of the pianist. While most loyalists agree that some of the entertainment needed a refresh, we had the chance until recently to enjoy two super pianists in Max and Ed.

They will be much missed on my forthcoming June b2b on Quest which I must admit I am viewing with considerable trepidation.

Point taken Sprusgirl, indeed it is the guests that is bearing the brunt and being ripped off.

The new pianist pales in comparison to Max. There is no comparison. Max had stage presence, great repertoire, and was a fabulous pianist. And when we ran into him around the ship, we enjoyed chatting with him.

I hope that what sounds like very poor entertainment did not mar your enjoyment of the cruise overall. Your opinion is mirroring many other guests who are currently sailing with Azamara.

The only disagreement I have with you is that it is not Azamara who is being ripped off but its guests! From an outsider's point of view it appears that the new entertainment offerings have been thrown together rather than professionally considered according to Azamara's passenger demographic. Very disappointing.

Am particularly troubled by your assessment of the pianist. While most loyalists agree that some of the entertainment needed a refresh, we had the chance until recently to enjoy two super pianists in Max and Ed.

They will be much missed on my forthcoming June b2b on Quest which I must admit I am viewing with considerable trepidation.

Don't panic. I've just started piano lessons. I haven't ever played before, but should be pretty good by June.

Phil

Don't panic. I've just started piano lessons. I haven't ever played before, but should be pretty good by June.

Phil

LOL. Harpenden's answer to Liberace, I can just see it now.

Think you'll pack out Spirits every night Can I be your Manager?