CPAP Machines

CruiseNut24

Was just told by doctor I need to use a CPAP machine. I have gotten the machine, now wondering, do you put in your checked luggage, or hand carry onto the ship with you. Is there an outlet close to bed in order to use the machine. Do you leave the machine out during the day, or pack it up and being it back out at night. As you can tell, first time bringing CPAP on cruise. Looking for other CPAP users to get idea on how and what to expect.

Thanks

I have taken mine on cruises for a few years. Always carry on it’s considered a medical device. I also have a UL approved extension cord just in case but usually there are plug ins close by. I leave my device out but put the hose and mask in a drawer during the day. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was glad to find out that it’s free airline carry on since it’s a medical device.

On the ship, I had no problem. You can get a free gallon of distilled water by requesting it in the personalizer. I was on the side of the bed farthest from the plug but using my power strip everything connected just fine.

I slept great too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was just told by doctor I need to use a CPAP machine. I have gotten the machine, now wondering, do you put in your checked luggage, or hand carry onto the ship with you. Is there an outlet close to bed in order to use the machine. Do you leave the machine out during the day, or pack it up and being it back out at night. As you can tell, first time bringing CPAP on cruise. Looking for other CPAP users to get idea on how and what to expect.

Thanks

I stopped using a CPAP machine 4 years ago .However ,when I was still using one I made the mistake of leaving it out .One day when the ship was docked shallack was being used to clean my balcony and the aroma seeped into the machine.

I did some research I discovered that my cabin doesn't have an outlet near the bed and I didn't want to lug an extension cord so I called Princess. In addition to the complimentary water, you can call princess and request an extension cord.

I usually ask for an extension cord as well as the distilled water. In my experience, no matter what the cruise line, you'll get one of those really thick orange utility type cords that's about 30 feet long. So once you get it set up, with the extra length tucked under the bed, you can ask your cabin steward to tape the cord to the floor so no one trips over it, esp at night. They get duct tape and do it.

You can either check your CPAP in a large suitcase provided that it is in its carry case or you can carry it. I usually pack it into my larger bag. I always carry an extra nasal pillow a short extension cord and a converter for some of the Princess rooms.

I always pack up the CPAP machine/tubing during the day because any cleaning agent that is sprayed by housekeeping, could linger on the hose/tubing/machine/nasalpillow/mask and compromise the quality of the sir that you breathe in. This can make you sick.

Thanks

I have one. i have done both, put it in my checked and carry on luggage and just carried it separately, that is just whatever works best for you.

I bring an extension cord about 10' or longer to get the power closer to the bed. I put mine in a bedside drawer during the day to be out of the way of housekeeping.

• Like 1

Don't EVER pack your CPAP machine in a suitcase! The machine should never leave your control - and as others have pointed out, it does not count as a carry-on when flying. I always keep my machine in its bag with the hose, mask, etc. when traveling - luckily we usually drive to the port.

I always request a gallon of distilled water, and an extension cord in the Personalizer. They've never been in the room waiting, but I always remind the steward, and usually he/she already has a note about it. I roll up the cord during the day and shove it under the desk so it isn't stretched across the room - just a matter of preference.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by catwoman6226
Additional information

We both use CPAPs . Needs and machines are different but on ours, the hydration unit is detachable and optional. I only use it at home during the winter. We find that on cruises the air is moist enough for us to do with just the pressure unit. Saves on packing but again, your needs may vary.

Made the mistake last time of leaving them in a suitcase checked port-side. The bag was held up for inspection and it took some work with customer services to get it delivered. From now on the CPAP bag will be carried onto the ship.

We take all medical supplies in carry on luggage. US airlines allow an extra carry on provided it contains only medical stuff.

My cruise buddy has a chronic, progressive condition which requires an assortment of medications and devices. These are by far the most expensive things we've packed and are the things that would be difficult or impossible to replace on short notice (depending on which item we are referring to). These go in a carry on sized bag and are not allowed our of our sight! Well, I guess the overhead bin is "out of sight," but as she uses priority boarding on the airplane, it is in a bin right by our seats.

Thanks

I've used a CPAP machine for the past 5 yrs and carry it on the airplane separately from other carry on luggage. As a medical device it's not counted as carry on.

Same applies to the ship.

Just carry it on.

Arrange distilled water and an extension cord with the cruise line.

There is no charge for this.

I leave my machine hooked up as I would at home.

Our room steward has never messed with it.

• Like 1

Do you put in your checked luggage, or hand carry onto the ship with you. Is there an outlet close to bed in order to use the machine. Do you leave the machine out during the day, or pack it up and being it back out at night.

I don't use a CPAP, I did instruct, set-up, trouble shoot and sell them for 30+ years.

As a few have posted NEVER put your CPAP in your suitcase. A frequent problem that came up in my area (Southern California), tourists forgot the power cord, humidifier, mask, hose...anything that was detachable. Make a checklist and be sure you have all your pieces.

I also recommend that you bring an extra cushion (in case of failure).

Distilled water is free on the ship (as noted by others), tap water is acceptable (even when you're at home, if you run out). If you get mineral build-up from using tap water, just do a stronger vinegar:water solution when you sanitize the humidifier.

The humidifier isn't mandatory. Humidifiers are relatively new with CPAPs. When CPAPs first started being used, no humidifiers were used. Compliance was poor. Cool humidifiers were added, compliance increased. Now we have "smart" heated humidifiers that add the amount of moisture that's needed.

Electrical outlets on the ships are almost never near where your machine is. The steward will provide or you can bring your own.

Most ship’s cabins have a table lamp attached right in the center of the bedside table so most but the smallest CPAP machines won’t fit. I remedy this by using the books & magazines Princess has in the cabin to create a flat area behind the lamp where the machine will be secure and level.

I fold a bath towel nd place it on a portion of the desk so I can rinse mask/hose/water tray and place them to dry; I cover them up a bit with the towel but leave a bit showing so steward sees it’s a towel in use and not something to be picked up. I also put the machine in a drawer in the bedside table just to keep it safe (unseen while door propped open for cleaning and so it won’t accidentally get knocked off by steward or me!).

Regarding flying with CPAP: as others have stated, the case with a medical device doesn’t count as a carry on, meaning I can bring 3 bags on a plane. DH and I place all meds (OTC & Rx) in this bag as well as small first aid kit, which frees up space in regular carry on! Of course, liquid meds wouldn’t goin the CPAP bag. I also put all parts of machine, hose, and mask into individual ziplock bags within the case.

I bring my own extension cord as usually need it for hotel stay before/after cruise. (UL and non-surge protect type).

AND, should TSA wish to examine your CPAP equipment, you can ask for fresh gloves and swabs since this equipment is used for your breathing...and they will comply with this request!!

I have used a CPAP on two cruises and flown with it so many times on my second travel case, NEVER put it in a checked bag. Sometimes the bag takes a different route and may not make it the same time you do. Never had an issue taking it on the plane. As to Princess we have been on the Royal and Regal (deluxe balcony) my unit has a long cord plus 6' power strip I was able to plug it in the outlet at the desk and stretch it across the room, I had to sleep next to the 'outside' of the ship. I put the cord, hose and mask up each day in the cabinet next to the bed. I had also through the cruise personalizer, it is in the accessibility and dietary requests section, get the gallon of water which on both cruises was ready and waiting in the cabin.

On the Regal I caught a sinus cold along with half the ship. The drug store in St Thomas sold out of sinus / cold medicine, I was glad I brought my humidifier, cranked up the humidifier and slept great. Used it even just sitting and reading.

I agree with what others have said about carrying it on, preordering distilled water through the CP, and bringing an extension cord (or asking your steward for one). What we've learned is that if you're on the side of the bed with the bedside table with the built-in lamp and your CPAP doesn't fit, simply pull the table forward a little bit so the CPAP fits behind the lamp. Have cruised with 3 different CPAP machines and every single one has fit on the table using this trick.

I have used a CPAP machine for a number of years & always carry it on the plane. I have a new one that I purchased the battery pack for so I can use it without the worry of an extension cord although I have one with me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've flown and cruised with a CPAP machine for a few years. I never pack it in checked luggage. All too often, my checked luggage has been "delayed" for a day or two or more (over 10 days on one occasion). I do carry a spare nasal mask and heated air hose in checked luggage, in case the primary mask and hose (in the carry-on) become damaged.

I always ask Princess (via the Cruise Personalizer) to provide distilled water, and then mention this request to the cabin steward when we first meet him or her. My CPAP fits on a Princess night table, but only barely so because of the unfortunate placement of the unmovable bedside lamp. Every time that I set up the machine on night-table near an electrical switch or outlet, I at least briefly worry about the possibility of spilling water, but (to date) my machine has never leaked either on a ship or at home. I do disconnect the hose and mask every day and put them somewhere "out of the way".

For airline travel, figuring out how to carry the CPAP case plus everything else that needs to be carried-on, while meeting the varying carry-on limits of different airlines, countries and aircraft-types, is an ongoing problem -- largely off topic for this discussion. However, I do try to think ahead regarding what I will gate-check (never the CPAP) when I encounter a flight where carry-on space is too limited for all the items that I normally treat as "never to be checked".

John

Where do you request the water/cord in the CP, please?

Oops!!

It used to be in the "Guest Check In" section. There was a section for diet/medical requests...IT'S GONE (at least I couldn't find it).

Hopefully, it's a glitch and will be fixed soon.

You can still call Princess or your TA to ask for it.

Where do you request the water/cord in the CP, please?

For Princess it's in your cruise personalizer under medical & dietary requests.

There you can request the distilled water.

For an extension cord, I called the toll free line and made a direct request.