Oceana included airfare west coast to east coast

Bethcb

After over 45 cruises on other lines, we are trying Oceana next year (Miami-Amazon-Cuba-Caribbean). The ship leaves out of Miami and we live in San Diego. It am booked with O-Life and including the airfare. I know that flying from west to east there are always layovers and planes get into Florida at least after 5pm unless taking a red eye. I HATE red eye flights.

I spoke to the booking agent for Oceana and she assured me that they would get us a flight that arrives before 2pm on the same day and they do not do red eye flights. Not sure how this is done but would like input if anyone has experience with this. I then asked if they would fly us in the day before and she said, "maybe" but you would have to pay your own hotel. That's OK w me, but would like some answers from actual experience w this issue. I know its an option to do our own airfare and keep O-Life which is still an option.

Thank you!

After over 45 cruises on other lines, we are trying Oceana next year (Miami-Amazon-Cuba-Caribbean). The ship leaves out of Miami and we live in San Diego. It am booked with O-Life and including the airfare. I know that flying from west to east there are always layovers and planes get into Florida at least after 5pm unless taking a red eye. I HATE red eye flights.

I spoke to the booking agent for Oceana and she assured me that they would get us a flight that arrives before 2pm on the same day and they do not do red eye flights. Not sure how this is done but would like input if anyone has experience with this. I then asked if they would fly us in the day before and she said, "maybe" but you would have to pay your own hotel. That's OK w me, but would like some answers from actual experience w this issue. I know its an option to do our own airfare and keep O-Life which is still an option.

Thank you!

I would suggest you check with a different booking agent at Oceania....we live on the West Coast (Portland, OR) and have flown to Miami several times in the last few years. We are going again in November on Oceania to the Amazon and are fairly familiar with the flight schedules. Due to the 3 hour time change and the length of the flight, there are no flights out of San Diego that arrive before 2PM, except a red -eye.....American has 1 non stop flight that departs out of LAX at 6AM and it arrives into Miami at 2:20! That is the only flight from any city on the West Coast that meets your criteria. So unless you are flying out of LAX on that flight, you will either be on a red -eye or arriving late afternoon at the earliest (which would cause you to miss your ship's sailing) ... on another note, we ALWAYS fly in the day prior, in order to not miss the ship and/or take a red-eye. It so much less stressful and the vacation starts a day earlier!!!

No direct experience from San Diego but we have done this from Seattle several times. Daytime flight options are limited to nonexistent from here. To arrive by 2 PM would necessitate something like a 3 or 4 AM departure and there are none. We have always opted for a red eye through Atlanta or Charlotte with arrival at 8 or so. We get a leisurely breakfast at the hotel inside the airport and taxi to the port by 11 or so and are usually aboard shortly thereafter. Sometimes I take a nap after we unpack. This is not an ideal way to go but works OK for us. We have not pursued a day before arrival through Oceania. That would be neat if you could get them to do it.

Return flights to the west coast are a larger challenge than getting there. You can not be assured of catching a flight that leaves before 11 AM and most do. The next batch of west coast flights are in late afternoon (none direct to SEA that I could find) so you would likely arrive home in the late evening. Once we took a bump offer and stayed overnight in Charlotte.

Since you say you are dealing with Oceania air yourself you apparently do not have a travel agent. In my experience, an agent with high volume Oceania business has more leverage than an individual. Frankly, I think the person telling you they would get you there by 2 PM was not looking at flight options - just talking off the top of his or her head. Suggest you do some flight searches on your own and tell Oceania what flights you want.

Good luck, Robbie

No direct experience from San Diego but we have done this from Seattle several times. Daytime flight options are limited to nonexistent from here. To arrive by 2 PM would necessitate something like a 3 or 4 AM departure and there are none. We have always opted for a red eye through Atlanta or Charlotte with arrival at 8 or so. We get a leisurely breakfast at the hotel inside the airport and taxi to the port by 11 or so and are usually aboard shortly thereafter. Sometimes I take a nap after we unpack. This is not an ideal way to go but works OK for us. We have not pursued a day before arrival through Oceania. That would be neat if you could get them to do it.

Return flights to the west coast are a larger challenge than getting there. You can not be assured of catching a flight that leaves before 11 AM and most do. The next batch of west coast flights are in late afternoon (none direct to SEA that I could find) so you would likely arrive home in the late evening. Once we took a bump offer and stayed overnight in Charlotte.

Since you say you are dealing with Oceania air yourself you apparently do not have a travel agent. In my experience, an agent with high volume Oceania business has more leverage than an individual. Frankly, I think the person telling you they would get you there by 2 PM was not looking at flight options - just talking off the top of his or her head. Suggest you do some flight searches on your own and tell Oceania what flights you want.

Good luck, Robbie

To the OP, read what I bolded that Robbie said, and keep reading it until you start contacting one.

Also apparently what the person you were speaking with didn't tell you is that if they do book you the day before then there is a deviation fee of $175 per person. Not paying for your hotel is a given.

Generally a domestic air credit is not that much, $250-$400 pp, with the deviation you might be better off doing your own air.

Hi,

I also live in San Diego and am taking my first Oceania cruise out of Miami.

After looking at all the airlines schedules I realized that American is the only one with non stop flights and they are either a red eye or one that gets in at around 8PM. We have opted to book our own flights as we don't like either option! The flights with one stop also get in too late to get onto the ship so that you will probably get the red eye for your flight unless you pay extra to come in the day before the cruise.

Our credit for the flight was $250 each(DH and myself)

forget using O air, Take the money and fly in on any airline you choose a day or a week in advance. You will be charged by O, $175, PP I think, to get to pick your flights from SAN or LAX Did they tell you that little detail???

The $$ they give you will be closet what you can buy the ticket for, or better yet Use your FF miles and use the money for fun on the cruise.

UAl has NO nonstops, American does from LAX and SAN but offers truly awful planes and seats Delta might be good

I would suggest flying from LAX, park the car at Marriott ( $7.50 a day) ant its only a short ride from SAN

Return Flights in UAL and to all go through IAH, you can fly however with UAL and get in at 9 to 11 the night before .

My last flight from Miani was with American, in 30+ years of flying it was the worst flight,in an class ever, AND i WAS IN fIRST CLASS...!!!!!

Have yo thought of flying from PSP or PHX ???

As a general rule I always book my own flights and carrier... and I dont have to pay to pick my flights

I'd be very wary of flying a red eye the day of sailing. Coming from the west, it's better to arrive day before at least.

We live in Phoenix, and have enough status that we do not have to pay the deviation fee of $175pp. We are flying to Miami in May, return from San Fran. O's air was less than I could book on my own, so we sent our deviation request to O, detailing the exact flights we wanted, which was arrival the day before sailing. O came back with a red eye flight getting in day of sailing, and a different flight from San Fran than we asked for. Declined the deviation as it was not at all what we requested, our TA submitted it again, and this time we got the flights requested, at no additional charge. BTW, American has now changed both flights to different flight no. and time. (We tend to book flights early for better seats.)

I don't think O's air dept likes us very much. At different times, they have come back with a deviation itinerary taking us to LA for our final destination, rather than home to Phoenix, as well as having us depart from Dallas, rather than PHX. Apparently they want us to move somewhere other than PHX, and don't care where!

Seriously, if paying for an air deviation, either with $ or loyalty amenity earned, they should do better than this. It's never right on the first try it seems.

To those who think that driving up to LAX from San Diego is a comfy easy thing to do- It is not!! We would never do that unless we were saving TONS of money for the flight which is not the case when flying to MIA!

I agree that you should book your own flights. We definitely would come in the day before (at least!)

Look into JetBlue (top rated airline!). They have non-stop flights from LAX into FLL and it's a quick 20 > 30 minute shuttle from FLL to POM. MJS Transportation has great shuttle service - nice newer, large vans - at $15/pp. There are many others doing this route - just do a Google search.

We flew on our own from San Diego to Miami through Dallas on American, arriving day prior to Regatta cruise, which was cheaper than O's air. Relaxed at Marriott for the night & quick taxi to port next day, well-rested & relaxed.

Thanks for all the responses. I spoke to my TA and was told we could get $350 per person if we book our own flights. We have always booked our own flights from SD to FLL or Miami and always go the night before and get a hotel. Leaving from LAX is not an option as it is a 2.5 hour drive in traffic to SD and LAX airport is a zoo!

As it gets closer, I may see what O offers and if its the day before without the additional $175, I'll do that, and if not I will just use points or pay for my usual Delta flight thru Atlanta.

I find it hard to believe that they would route me out of LAX when I live in SD or expect me to pay more for a flight the previous day. My travel agent will check on this as it gets closer.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

I'd take the money and book myself on the airline I want. We're going to Miami next month for a cruise and one in December, we were able to book first class from Palm Springs (with one stop) for 545.00. I find if you book early you get good deals on first.

I would suggest you check with a different booking agent at Oceania....we live on the West Coast (Portland, OR) and have flown to Miami several times in the last few years. We are going again in November on Oceania to the Amazon and are fairly familiar with the flight schedules. Due to the 3 hour time change and the length of the flight, there are no flights out of San Diego that arrive before 2PM, except a red -eye.....American has 1 non stop flight that departs out of LAX at 6AM and it arrives into Miami at 2:20! That is the only flight from any city on the West Coast that meets your criteria. So unless you are flying out of LAX on that flight, you will either be on a red -eye or arriving late afternoon at the earliest (which would cause you to miss your ship's sailing) ... on another note, we ALWAYS fly in the day prior, in order to not miss the ship and/or take a red-eye. It so much less stressful and the vacation starts a day earlier!!!

Absolutely correct. You will be lucky to get there by 6:00 East Coast Time. We always go non-stop out of LA.

I find it hard to believe that they would route me out of LAX when I live in SD

Why? They will route anyone via any connections that is the cheapest for them

or expect me to pay more for a flight the previous day.

Their air department is a profit center

My travel agent will check on this as it gets closer.

Suggest you don't wait too long. I wouldn't expect O to tell you the itinerary until very close to sail date and by that time air tickets $ might be very expensive if booking on your own. Have no idea when your sail date is but think economy 6+ months out should be < $300 RT.

Cheers,

John

I'd take the money and book myself on the airline I want. We're going to Miami next month for a cruise and one in December, we were able to book first class from Palm Springs (with one stop) for 545.00. I find if you book early you get good deals on first.

That is a GREAT price if for round trip....which airline?

Why? They will route anyone via any connections that is the cheapest for them

Their air department is a profit center

Suggest you don't wait too long. I wouldn't expect O to tell you the itinerary until very close to sail date and by that time air tickets $ might be very expensive if booking on your own. Have no idea when your sail date is but think economy 6+ months out should be < $300 RT.

Cheers,

John

The cruise is not until December 2019 so plenty of time for me to book. I may book an airfare on points and then see what O does. I can put points back into my account without any penalties due to status on Delta. Also, I don't mind making a LAX connection, but I was stating that I didn't think they should book us out of LAX when I live in SAN.

San Diego is definitely a Gateway city for Oceania so your flight would originate there. They would not have it originate at LAX if you requested SAN.

Unless there are absolutely no flights that would get you to the port city from your home city the day of the cruise then they will not book you the day before without the $175 pp deviation fee. Guaranteed.

If you chose air through Oceania you will get the information at 70 days out. Your tickets would be booked around 30 days out, then you can actually move your seats around, upgrade etc.

If you pay the deviation fee you can get your flights at 270 days out. Once accepted the fee is non refundable.

Keep in mind that the air credit sometime changes, and there is no guarantee that it will still be the $350 per person once you find out the flights at 70 days out.

Most of the time on domestic flights we do our own, and usually use Oceania air for international.