Detailed Photo Review of Celebrity Eclipse 14 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise 3/4/18

deladane

40327586234_9930487cf8_c.jpg

41035882451_afe78830c0_c.jpg

40327585824_017c47fc61_c.jpg

The last part was the steepest, but one of the guides stood at the top and told us where to step, and then reached out his hand to help us climb up to the very top.

41035881711_dff45c3ef5_c.jpg

Looking back down at the water flowing through the middle of the rocks

40327585314_797912717f_c.jpg

The views from the top of the island were stunning! It was totally worth the effort to hike up here as we had unobstructed panoramic views of the whole area.

41035880671_6f55d32d96_c.jpg

41035879981_888076b579_c.jpg

40327583904_304fbe22b3_c.jpg

Notice how my hair is blowing all over the place? It was very windy up there so you had to be careful not to lose your footing while gazing out at the views.

41035878451_55e0798162_c.jpg

41035877721_90db1fc191_c.jpg

40327582914_9c0c9b05ce_c.jpg

39227359930_d17098635f_c.jpg

40327582364_a97c1d352d_c.jpg

40327581894_aa44e49da2_c.jpg

When time was almost up, the guides helped us climb across the top of the bridge, and back down to the beach where we started the hike, and then we all swam back to the boat. Hell’s Gate was one of the highlights of this tour. The scenery was amazing and it was such a special experience to see this natural land formation. I was a bit nervous going in because the guides did say it is a challenging hike, but I am so glad I did it and I would highly recommend giving it a try if you take this tour. Yes, it was a little difficult to climb through the narrow spaces, but it was very doable with the help of the guides, and every one of the 15+ people in our group who attempted it was able to complete the hike.

Once everyone was back on the boat, we made another short 5-minute ride to our next stop at Bird Island. The guides mentioned that the islands in Antigua have very simple names (Pelican Island, Bird Island,etc). They pulled the boat into a little alcove with crystal clear aqua blue water and told us it would take them about 15 minutes to set up for lunch so we could do some swimming or walk around on the beach. There was a small boat here when we arrived, but they were just getting ready to leave so we would have the whole island to ourselves.

I liked the name of their boat… Do It Tomorrow

40327579124_409c909acb_c.jpg

DH decided to go out for a swim

40327579754_dabdcc6639_c.jpg

I took a little walk along the beach

40142818975_94a8045303_c.jpg

39227357490_63a54dd2bb_c.jpg

40142818095_4a8b95141e_c.jpg

This is what happens when I leave DH to hold my camera for afew minutes…

39227357180_03571b2642_c.jpg

40142816275_d8993f12f8_c.jpg

The water was so clear!

40142814685_d0142107b9_c.jpg

39227355750_446d53c28f_c.jpg

Lunch was served buffet style and included pasta salad, BBQ chicken, garden salad, and fried plantains. They also had water, Coke, Coke Zero, beer, and rum punch to drink. All of the food was delicious, and I was very impressed that they served lunch on real plates and with real silverware (ie: not disposable)!

39227355460_6a966a56e0_c.jpg

40142813005_8c27b74787_c.jpg

There were a few picnic tables along the beach, and the trees helped provide some shade.

40142812415_b5b64c5c00_c.jpg

There was more than enough food, and anyone who wanted seconds was welcome to help themselves. When we all had our fill, we cleared our plates and got ready for another little hike along a small trail that climbs up to the top of the hill on Bird Island. Definitely make sure to wear good shoes for this hike. Even though it only takes about 10 minutes to reach the top of the hill, it is steep and slippery in spots so it’s important to have good traction.

This is a map of the island and some of the animals that live here

40142811755_502ce84c20_c.jpg

As expected, the views from the top of the hill were beautiful. We could see the Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, and many of the islands around Antigua.

40142810265_cf6e37ff9e_c.jpg

39227353260_9e952fb67d_c.jpg

40142809055_30f5420e38_c.jpg

40142808005_d9ba80ae0a_c.jpg

39227351040_155d94d772_c.jpg

I love how this photo came out!

39227350090_56f8e7571e_c.jpg

We found a little friend in the bushes

39227348770_74b0ee39ef_c.jpg

On the way back down the hill, we walked passed another beach on the opposite side of the island

27165072908_defb7b61c3_c.jpg

After the hike, we all climbed back on the boat and motored about 5 minutes off the shore of Bird Island to the coral reef to go snorkeling. The guides divided the group into 2 groups- the beginners stayed close to the boat, and the advanced group went out further from the boat with one of the guides. We went with the advanced group and had no trouble keeping up with the guide despite the choppy current. Unfortunately, all of the heavy winds really churned up the water so visibility was limited. We saw lots of rocks and coral, but not many fish. I thought the snorkeling here was okay, but not great.

40142798495_5754260598_c.jpg

The guide dove down to the ocean floor and came back with a surprise… a conch shell! This was the first time I have seen one of these while snorkeling!

40142792905_4b5a9468b3_c.jpg

He handed it to me to get a closer look…

40994225492_14e09dba78_c.jpg

27165064558_4a2cef12ed_c.jpg

That was the highlight of today’s snorkeling trip! It was also around the spot where we turned around to swim back towards the boat. Swimming out was against the current, so the rest of the time we just floated and let the current gradually drift us back towards the boat.

27165063098_b94b20d677_c.jpg

27165062068_a145bbb7cc_c.jpg

27165060888_ab0c9942d5_c.jpg

27165060068_f6b57f1d3b_c.jpg

27165059458_5ef393b0b3_c.jpg

27165058878_843a6b36c7_c.jpg

27165057458_1ee4706abf_c.jpg

27165056868_480b1ef91b_c.jpg

27165056168_03d736998c_c.jpg

I was out in the water snorkeling for about 20 minutes. When I got back to the boat, the guides were ready and waiting with a special treat. They served us fresh baked banana bread, water, fruit juice, and very strong rum punch. The rum punch was so strong that I actually asked for a cup with half punch and half fruit juice to dilute it to make it more drinkable haha The snack was much-needed after all that swimming!

There were a few picnic tables along the beach, and the trees helped provide some shade.

40142812415_b5b64c5c00_c.jpg

There was more than enough food, and anyone who wanted seconds was welcome to help themselves. When we all had our fill, we cleared our plates and got ready for another little hike along a small trail that climbs up to the top of the hill on Bird Island. Definitely make sure to wear good shoes for this hike. Even though it only takes about 10 minutes to reach the top of the hill, it is steep and slippery in spots so it’s important to have good traction.

This is a map of the island and some of the animals that live here

40142811755_502ce84c20_c.jpg

As expected, the views from the top of the hill were beautiful. We could see the Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, and many of the islands around Antigua.

40142809055_30f5420e38_c.jpg

I love how this photo came out!

39227350090_56f8e7571e_c.jpg

On the way back down the hill, we walked passed another beach on the opposite side of the island

27165072908_defb7b61c3_c.jpg

After the hike, we all climbed back on the boat and motored about 5 minutes off the shore of Bird Island to the coral reef to go snorkeling. The guides divided the group into 2 groups- the beginners stayed close to the boat, and the advanced group went out further from the boat with one of the guides. We went with the advanced group and had no trouble keeping up with the guide despite the choppy current. Unfortunately, all of the heavy winds really churned up the water so visibility was limited. We saw lots of rocks and coral, but not many fish. I thought the snorkeling here was okay, but not great.

Beautiful photos!

Thank you!

For the slightly less adventurous there is a wonderful company on Antigua called Antigua Paddles. It's family owned and operated and they take you on 2 person kayaks through the mangroves and to Bird Island and then the same snorkeling as you mentioned.

I recognize both beaches as we also climbed that hill.

Thanks for the review! Nice photos and great story telling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for reading along :) I just took a look at your review from your Hawaii cruise last year. Your photos are beautiful, and that was quite a crazy way to end the cruise!

Beautiful photos!

Thank you!

For the slightly less adventurous there is a wonderful company on Antigua called Antigua Paddles. It's family owned and operated and they take you on 2 person kayaks through the mangroves and to Bird Island and then the same snorkeling as you mentioned.

I recognize both beaches as we also climbed that hill.

Thank you Karen! I'm not surprised that other tours also visit Bird Island since they do have those picnic tables available for you to sit and eat your lunch, but it is impressive that they time it so that there's no overlap. We had the island to ourselves the whole time we were there, and just as we were getting ready to leave, another boat arrived (just like we arrived just as that little private boat was leaving).

Absolutely loving your report still Dana! I love writing etc and this has really inspired me to do a journal of our trip in December. Can’t wait to hear about the rest of your adventures

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much! I really like keeping a journal because then I can look back on these memories years later and relive the experience :)

Every day I check Cruise Critic for your updates as I enjoy reading them so much.

Thanks for the rundown on Antigua - your photos are beautiful. Antigua is the first stop on our January cruise (which has all the same ports as your cruise except Grenada instead of St Maarten) and your post has inspired me to pencil in plenty of beach time as that water looks stunning.

Every day I check Cruise Critic for your updates as I enjoy reading them so much.

Thanks for the rundown on Antigua - your photos are beautiful. Antigua is the first stop on our January cruise (which has all the same ports as your cruise except Grenada instead of St Maarten) and your post has inspired me to pencil in plenty of beach time as that water looks stunning.

Thank you! I'm so glad you've found some helpful pointers for your cruise :cool: You can probably find some great information in the Antigua forum on here if you want specific beach recommendations, but yes, I agree that Antigua has a lot of natural beauty.

We have been with Eli and Adventure Antigua five times. It is one of favorite excursions in the Caribbean.

Eli was born and raised in Antigua. So, his excursions are based on his love of the island. :)

I love your review! It is awesome! I started it last weekend because I wanted a good creative review of a Solstice class ship in anticipation of my Solstice cruise that I am boarding on April 29, 2018.

I am about to pull the trigger and join the Olympus T5 club. I am wondering about the fish eye lens that you all are talking about. I googled a fish eye lens so I have some idea about what it is. Can you tell me if I need training to use it? Is it easy to just switch lenses while out and about? I think this camera is really a good idea for me, but I wanted to make sure the fish eye is something I will be able to use, if I pay more for it.

Thanks again!!!

I love your review! It is awesome! I started it last weekend because I wanted a good creative review of a Solstice class ship in anticipation of my Solstice cruise that I am boarding on April 29, 2018.

I am about to pull the trigger and join the Olympus T5 club. I am wondering about the fish eye lens that you all are talking about. I googled a fish eye lens so I have some idea about what it is. Can you tell me if I need training to use it? Is it easy to just switch lenses while out and about? I think this camera is really a good idea for me, but I wanted to make sure the fish eye is something I will be able to use, if I pay more for it.

Thanks again!!!

Thanks for reading! The fish eye lens is really easy to get on and off the camera. It comes with an attachment ring that screws onto the camera body, and then the fish eye lens screws onto that. That same ring is what also allows you to attach filters (which I bought but never use lol) and to attach a lens cover (which I use for long term storage between vacations, but not on a daily basis while traveling). It is a little tricky to line up the ring with the camera body to get it to thread on, but now that it's on, I never take it off. It is totally fine to leave that attachment ring installed all the time, even when not using the fish eye lens. Then all you do is line up the fish eye and screw it on for a few turns around the ring, and it's installed. There is a setting that you need to select that tells the camera you are using the fish eye (read the owners manual to learn where to find it- it's easy, just something you need to remember to do every time you take the lens on and off). I don't think it requires any training- you just take the photo the same way you would without the lens. It does take a little practice, but you'll practice while on the trip taking photos!

Just something to think about- if you plan to take the lens on and off a lot, where will you put the lens each time you remove it? It does come with 2 caps (one for each side of the lens), so I always try to use the caps to protect the lens when it's not attached to the camera. The problem is if I am doing something more active, where do I keep those caps and where to I put the lens when it's off the camera? For the photos I posted in Antigua, I never bothered with the fish eye lens because it's not convenient when I'm swimming and don't have my purse on me. Sometimes on snorkeling excursions, I opt to leave the lens off for one of the stops, and then I leave it on for the next stop to get some variety. Also, when using it in water, you need to attach the lens while under water, that way there are no air bubbles. Sometimes a little water sneaks into the cracks and then you get an air bubble that ruins the photos. Problem solved if you hold your hands under water while twisting on the lens because that cavity gets filled with water and there's no gaps for air!

Hope that helps! Have a great cruise, and come back to share your photos!! :)

Have really been enjoying your review.

We have done Eli's Eco Tour twice and recommend it to others frequently. Like Texed said, the love for Antigua really comes through. They provide a great day!

Look forward to the rest of your report.

Dana. Loving your very detailed review. You must be so organized. How do you find the time? I’d like to read your Polynesia review but not too sure how to find it. A bucket list for me but I don’t think it will ever happen. We returned recently from a cruise that included your first 4 stops & have booked a 2020 one that will go to your other ports so following with interest. I decided part way through the cruise I’d like to try a review. My friends are getting tired of looking at my photos. Anyway, I’m now appreciating how much organization it takes to do a review. My pictures are in order anyway. :')

Maris

Dana. Loving your very detailed review. You must be so organized. How do you find the time? I’d like to read your Polynesia review but not too sure how to find it. A bucket list for me but I don’t think it will ever happen. We returned recently from a cruise that included your first 4 stops & have booked a 2020 one that will go to your other ports so following with interest. I decided part way through the cruise I’d like to try a review. My friends are getting tired of looking at my photos. Anyway, I’m now appreciating how much organization it takes to do a review. My pictures are in order anyway. :')

Maris

This might be the review you are looking for:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2545707

Maris

Maris,

To see Dana’s Paul Gauguin Cruise review, click on her username (next to her photo at the top of any of her posts) and use the drop down to select all posts by this user. Scroll down until you see her PGC review.

Good Luck!!

PS: I’m enjoying your review too- I was on the Reflection right after you.