Stolen passport - could Princess have done more to help?

Oh2B@C

Here are some links I put up on a CC roll call website last year.

Info on Barcelona Pickpockets

18 Most Common Scams in Spain

Rick Steves' Outsmarting Pickpockets

US State Dept Alerts and Warnings

Cruise Critic: Staying Safe in Port

Link to the purse option mentioned by ??: These are slash proof construction with RFID reader blocking card slots.

Travelon Purse

Bringing the post forward.

Thanks. The link you posted on Barcelona reminded me that was the original reason I bought my Pacsafe daypack.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It amazes me to here of people still being pick-pocketed there after so much has been written.

Just some simple things like wallet in your front pocket., purse over the DW shoulder that is against you, and staying alert, will remove 90% of any attempts probably. Same goes for Rome.

Here is the results of something I did a year and a half ago. It does need updating and I can't remember the sources.

Pickpocket and scam risks the best I could figure as of Nov 2016:

Rome: Very High, see above

Naples: Some level, just be cautious.

Massina: Some level, just be cautious.

Dubrovnik: Low but present

Kotor: Low but present - some reports at Castle of San Giovanni

Corfu: Some level, just be cautious.

Corsica: A bit higher, also bag thefts from moving vehicles. See traveling1969 recommendations above.

Toulon: Must be low as I found little in English of any stories or warnings.

Barcelona: Very high - known as the pickpocket capital of Europe, see link below

Valencia: Present though lower than Barcelona

Cartagena: Some level, just be cautious.

Gibraltar: Low, though no recent reports. However, beware of small pickpockets. Apes and monkeys will go after plastic bags they think contain food.

Seville: Numerous reports of activity

Tenerife: Numerous reports of activity. Higher in Los Americas

Lanzaote: Low, just beware in markets and bus stations

Scam risks are events where a group working together will catch you attention while others are going through your backpack, lifting wallets out of pockets or purses, etc. I know a person who has caught a hnd in their pocket when this happened to them. Everything you read says the first thing you do is grab your valuables, wallet, camera, etc before reacting.

All they had to do is report it to kotor authorities then go back on ship no need to tell princess

Then apply for passport at their destination

I think someone indicated the next port was re-entry to the EU and they would need the passport there.

I bought a waterproof plastic carrier, size of cruise card, to carry on ship when I go in pool. Read where if you leave it in bag on lounge chair it could be stolen and very quickly purchases could be made. It goes around my neck and I tuck it into top of my bathing suit. I also bought one size of passport and carried color photo copy of passport on photo paper (kept real one in safe), cruise card, driver license, insurance card, prescription info and cash when snorkeling in Mexico and also tucked it in to top of bathing suit.

In Alaska this August I know I’ll need real passport for excursion so I’m ready with my holder to be tucked in under my shirt. Makes me feel very safe.

This really depends on the cruise line and their policies. Your security photo is encoded on the cruise card, so any outlet correctly equipped will show your photo when the card is swiped. On one line we frequent, the personnel are trained to ask for your cabin number when you make a purchase. Since this number shows on their screen but not on your card, it is another security measure. And finally, you sign a charge slip for any purchase, so the cruise line should have a form with your signature any time there is a question.

Pickpocket and scam risks the best I could figure as of Nov 2016:

Barcelona: Very high - known as the pickpocket capital of Europe, see link below

The local authorities are very familiar with the pickpockets--who they are and where they operate/ I've seen pictures of some of them on the internet.

That being said, when the Olympics were held there a few years back, they rounded them up and took them to a location out of town for the duration providing three hots and a cot.

I really do not understand all the stress over passports. I have lived in countries that as a United States Passport Holder you are required to carry your passport. If question by law enforcement and you do not have or resident information you are arrested and held. Then later visited the same country as a cruise port stop and no one had passports, all held on the ship.

Local law enforcement and the port knew all about the ship and had relaxed the rules... why? Because the cruise ship stop is very important to the local economy. It is your choice but I would not carry and risk losing my passport on a port stop... unless the line clearly stated I needed to carry it. I do carry my phone with a photo of my passport and I have a laminated credit card size copy of my passport in my wallet.

While I have not lost a passport I know people who have it is not a fun process to fix. It can require police reports trips to Embassy and lots of issues. Why would anyone want to waste all this time and added cost on a cruise. I can't see it but every person is free to do what they want.

OK' date=' change the situation--had someone been seriously injured, I would anticipate that as a courtesy Princes would confirm that they were installed in a hospital. But here...Princess made sure they were connected to the ship's agent. They met their responsibilities. And they went the extra step by refunding part of the cruise fare.[/quote']

You may be disappointed to learn there are at least two threads in the last year concerning less than stellar follow up by Princess in emergency situations. One that comes to mind was a passenger with a medical emergency that was put in a local taxi that was then directed to a hospital which did not have an emergency department.

In the OP situation we can only hope that Princess has registered some dissatisfaction with the port agent response. Of course my curiosity will never be satisfied since cruise lines tend to be tight lipped.

That's one advantage of a lanyard. I attach my lanyard to a belt loop or a bathing suit strap, if I don't want to wear it around my neck.

I always wear my cruise card on a lanyard...unless I'm in port! After my incident last year, I no longer take the Princess blue tote, but carry everything in a much sturdier tote that zips closed.

My son/daughter-in-law are going on a Mediterranean cruise this summer. They are very "trusting" types. I'm going to tell them to read this thread!

We had our own issue with Princess when DW had a dental emergency while on the Ruby....as we cruised around the U.K. Guest services had no info on emergency dental care in our ports and the medical center was also clueless. We finally used the Internet to find a dentist at the next port and made our own arrangements. While we did not expect much from Princess, you would have thought they would have had some directory of local medical/dental providers. Their port agents will make arrangements for the crew....but apparently passengers must fend for themselves.

Hank

We had our own issue with Princess when DW had a dental emergency while on the Ruby....as we cruised around the U.K. Guest services had no info on emergency dental care in our ports and the medical center was also clueless. We finally used the Internet to find a dentist at the next port and made our own arrangements. While we did not expect much from Princess, you would have thought they would have had some directory of local medical/dental providers. Their port agents will make arrangements for the crew....but apparently passengers must fend for themselves.

Hank

I doubt anyone knows all of the people that Princess does help in medical, transportation and passport/visa issues that are never presented on these boards.....it is no more Princess' responsibility to provide assistance in these types of situations then it is for United, American, Delta or Southwest Airlines responsibility to find a passport office or dentist if you lose your passport or have a dental emergency on one of their flights...you are right that passengers are responsible for themselves period.....end of story!!!

You really can't slip a hand into a Pac-Safe if the zippers are clipped and the clips are worn toward the centre of the body and not outward. A Pac-Safe, however, can be grabbed off your shoulder and the thief can run away with it.

The Pac-Safe I have is reinforced with wire so it can't easily be cut. I wear it cross-shoulder so if a thief wants to grab it, he'll need to take my arm as well. :)

I always wear my cruise card on a lanyard...unless I'm in port! After my incident last year, I no longer take the Princess blue tote, but carry everything in a much sturdier tote that zips closed.

My son/daughter-in-law are going on a Mediterranean cruise this summer. They are very "trusting" types. I'm going to tell them to read this thread!

I wear "fishing" shirts on shore. These shirts all have strong Velcro front pockets. No one is getting in there without me knowing about it! In the Caribbean I also have the US Passport "card" as well as the full size passport. The card goes ashore. The main passport stays in the safe.