Can I alter he amount of tips at guest services

In the case of the OP, they are planning to remove them now, before the cruise and before they have any idea of what kind of service they will get.

You obviously cannot read. I never said I was going to remove them now or up front. I never said anything about removing them at all!

Quite obvious you care about no one but yourself. There are a few things that upset me and stiffing the staff happens to be one of them. Truly, I’m saying nothing on this thread that I would not say to you in person. If you are not a cheap selfish person, why not share with us your reason for lowering tips - we just might understand.

Very reasonable request.

You obviously cannot read. I never said I was going to remove them now or up front. I never said anything about removing them at all!

You are correct, you did say you wanted to reduce them. The point still stands that you are planning to do this before you cruise and have any idea what service you will get.

And there are plenty of my fellow Americans who ARE tightwads. Was at GS on a Med cruise a few years back and overhead an American couple at the next counter asking to have their grats removed. Said they were on a tight budget. Right, they can afford to travel to Europe for a cruise but they can't afford a few bucks a day to tip the hard working crew. Really disgusted me.

That would disgust me too.

I never understand why people make these threads? Obviously the OP was well aware of comments they would get back. Would it have made a difference if they just went to guest services when they boarded and asked?

I really think some people love the snark so they can come back with the snark.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Ah ok, well i am guessing it is still a culture thing. I guess as i travel to the states/ on cruises often, i at least wait till the end of the cruise to make amendments (if any)

Most people i know tip well.

Some might call it a cultural thing,i call it being a mean tightwad.

As they say "when in Rome". When I travel outside of North America I adhere to local culture. I tip minimally in Europe as service industry are paid a higher wage. In North America they rely on tips. At the end of the day you pretty much end up paying the same amount whether you tip or pay a higher up front price to cover the staff's higher wage.

In England i tip 10% of the total bill because staff are reasonably paid.

In England i tip 10% of the total bill because staff are reasonably paid.

Yes, that's what I've always done in UK. Other European countries I usually round up to the next Euro. Haven't been to Oz/NZ yet but from what I've read they are a no tipping culture altogether.

As they say "when in Rome". When I travel outside of North America I adhere to local culture. I tip minimally in Europe as service industry are paid a higher wage. In North America they rely on tips. At the end of the day you pretty much end up paying the same amount whether you tip or pay a higher up front price to cover the staff's higher wage.

Exactly. I never really got the argument along the lines of the cruise lines should just pay them are reasonable wage and not make us pay by charging those auto-tips. Where do they think the money is going to come from?

Exactly. I never really got the argument along the lines of the cruise lines should just pay them are reasonable wage and not make us pay by charging those auto-tips. Where do they think the money is going to come from?

Yes, some people just don't get it.

. My tip to you is troll someone else who cares

Look, I don't care if you tip or not. I worry about myself, and not what other people do. That said you asked for this. You've been a member of CC since 2006. It's damn near impossible for you to have been a member on here for 12 years and not understand the backlash a post like this would cause. You also jump the shark by giving expectations of what kind of answers and discussion you will find acceptable to your post.

Who is the real troll here? I'll give you a hint. Find a mirror.

Cheers

Amazing that the OP would ask this question without providing any reasons of why he would alter the tips to begin with. Then he gets snarky when people disagree with what he wants to do. Why don’t you do everyone a favor and vacation in Europe where you won’t have to worry about the American culture!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look, I don't care if you tip or not. I worry about myself, and not what other people do. That said you asked for this. You've been a member of CC since 2006. It's damn near impossible for you to have been a member on here for 12 years and not understand the backlash a post like this would cause. You also jump the shark by giving expectations of what kind of answers and discussion you will find acceptable to your post.

Who is the real troll here? I'll give you a hint. Find a mirror.

Cheers

Wow he doesn't even have the excuse of being a naive newbie.

He wanted to stir things up and he certainly did.

Our last cruise was in January and we prepaid tips, which were $94.50 for each of us. For two people, it was $189.00. I suspect the OP did the math for 3 teenagers and maybe 2 adults, which is $472.00. Coming from a place where tipping is not the norm, this is quite an additional cost, especially if you don't think it is right to be expected to tip that much.

Where I live, a tip is added to the bill in some restaurants if the party is larger than eight. Here it is still 18%, but this may be changing to the 25% she got. If the service is as bad as she said, a lesser tip should be given.

Also, the OP needs to be aware that 18% is added to all bar bills. I love cruising, but you have to accept the tipping and enjoy your cruise or fight it and reduce it, which I think she will. She will not be the only one.

Thanks for your comment - good to know they are proactive

It is actually RE-active because they have been notified that gratuities have been removed or reduced and the assumption is that people would only do that AFTER something has happened they do not like. NOT that someone just did it because they are too cheap to pay gratuities.

Just looking for if this is possible please - not people's views on morality.

For a number of reasons we wish to reduce the amount of tips we pay on our next sailing. I have my reasons - I know you can have tips removed at guest services but are you able to ask for a proportion of the tips to be charged on a daily basis instead?

As far as I know it is all or nothing...actually it is easier to just remove all grats and tip as you fell is needed.

OP has posted previously they are bringing teenagers along - usually they are messier than adults! They are also from UK.

To OP, not sure how you could know ahead of time that your service warrants reduction in gratuities.

Please keep nationalities out of your comments. I can think of numerous persons / events / concerns that I've seen or met during my travels but it's not morally right or appropriate to attribute their ideas / opinions /actions to a whole nation of people.

Please keep nationalities out of your comments. I can think of numerous persons / events / concerns that I've seen or met during my travels but it's not morally right or appropriate to attribute their ideas / opinions /actions to a whole nation of people.

Comment about OP being from UK was only to point out that tipping in UK culture is very different than US culture. No need to read anything more into it.

Just looking for if this is possible please - not people's views on morality.

For a number of reasons we wish to reduce the amount of tips we pay on our next sailing. I have my reasons - I know you can have tips removed at guest services but are you able to ask for a proportion of the tips to be charged on a daily basis instead?

Hi there.

For whatever reasons you may have, yes, you can have the tips adjusted or removed and then give to whoever you believe gave you the best service. You can go to guest services and they should be able to take care of this.

I am not going to judge you at all.....for that there are many many nasty posters (to extent of being cyber bullies) here who already have taken charge and condemned you and even your children. I am sorry this is happening. I hope you do not feel hurt by their nasty comments.....perhaps, it is what they do best. Hopefully you will try and ignore them and not give them any perverse pleasure by replying to their posts and explaining yourself.

From one human to another, with no judgement attached, I hope you enjoy your cruise and I really wish you the best.