Can I alter he amount of tips at guest services

I also will be removing part tips from my account. Not due to not having the money, I think tipping is important, but I am going to use cash for some tips to show our children how tipping works. If I leave it all digital they would never realize. We are a large family and do not eat out so this will be the first tipping situation we have really done.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Just be prepared to have your cabin host and your servers ask what they can do to improve their service. The supervisors do get a list of those who have removed or lowered tips and will approach the crew to find out what has happened. The supervisor might approach as well to find out what is wrong so that they can help fix it.

I also will be removing part tips from my account. Not due to not having the money, I think tipping is important, but I am going to use cash for some tips to show our children how tipping works....

Please read the other replies. If you cut the tips out/down and just tip cash there are some people behind the scenes who won't get their share.

Thank you for the 2 posters who replied without sharing judgement or opinions. To the others - suggest you learn to read or just don’t respond if you don’t like a question!

You don't get to ask a question and then tell people how to respond. It doesn't work that way on Cruise Critic.:rolleyes: I can turn your response around and say don't ask the !question if you might not like the answer

I also will be removing part tips from my account. Not due to not having the money, I think tipping is important, but I am going to use cash for some tips to show our children how tipping works. If I leave it all digital they would never realize. We are a large family and do not eat out so this will be the first tipping situation we have really done.

I think your motives are good, but in this case digital is how tipping works. Could you show them the charges on your on-board account and explain what they are for?

My uncle does this (removing tips and tipping how he pleases).

I cringe at the thought.

That being said, I'm not going to judge the OP. Do I agree? No. But I will say that in my 10 years of cruising I have encountered absolutely horrific service that absolutely DID make me think twice about lowering some of the tips. I didn't do it...but I was tempted.

As someone who has worked in the service industry, I've seen both sides of the coin. People who tip well, and people who have clearly never worked in the service industry....ha! That being said...if I had a terrible night where my service wasn't great, I definitely did NOT expect to be tipped well.

To play devil's advocate - perhaps RC should just build it into the total price of the cruise rather than break it out and say "gratuities." Gratuity is defined as: "something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service." It seems as though everyone believes that the entire amount should be mandatorily given each time you sail (and I tend to agree)...............

thank you for the 2 posters who replied without sharing judgement or opinions. To the others - suggest you learn to read or just don’t respond if you don’t like a question!

As an aside and nothing to do with my question but a couple of posters mentioned uk people and also tips in general. I went for an expensive meal in miami with some expensive bottles of wine - the head waiter brought my bill with 25% tips already added in - needless to say i removed the tip completely and handed the busboy some cash direct so americans can be pretty dreadful with this type of behaviour so please do not think it’s all overseas issues!

lol "Its not just cruises, I also remove tips and stiff people on land!" is an interesting justification.

I'm not going to pass judgement in any way shape or form.

All I'm going to do is share with you that tipping via cash while at a hair salon, restaurant, etc is almost gone with the dinosaurs. Most restaurants in my area now have point of sale machines at each table where you run your card, select your tip amount, and close your bill.

At those places where they use an iPad to close your account, they have buttons to select to leave your tip amount..

Of course, if your wanting to teach them how to "palm" the tip for baggage handlers, doormen, or drivers,,, that's another thing.

Thank you for the 2 posters who replied without sharing judgement or opinions. To the others - suggest you learn to read or just don’t respond if you don’t like a question!

As an aside and nothing to do with my question but a couple of posters mentioned UK people and also tips in general. I went for an expensive meal in Miami with some expensive bottles of wine - the head waiter brought my bill with 25% tips already added in - needless to say I removed the tip completely and handed the busboy some cash direct so Americans can be pretty dreadful with this type of behaviour so please do not think it’s all overseas issues!

So are you just cheap and don't care about the livelihood of others or do you think you're above the rules of society? Or is it a combo?

If you're going to ask a question of us, I think it's fair to ask you one in return.

That makes absolutely no sense. Tipping on a cruise ship does not equate to how we tip on land. On land, the standard is to tip a percentage of the bill. What exactly do you think your children will learn? How to slip a $20 to a bartender?

The thing is that your question made me a bit sick to my stomach to think that not only will some of those who serve you will be shorted a portion of their livelihoods but will also be brought to task for giving poor service. You might not like how the cruising system works but I suggest you either go with it or find another way to vacation. At the very least, I hope you inform all those who wait on you and your party on the first day that you will be withholding part of their salary not because of anything they have done or not done but simply because you are cheap.

but will also be brought to task for giving poor service.

Yeah, well, on that, Royal management really needs to stop being idiots and recognize that sometimes customers are jerks and it doesn't matter how fantastic the service is.

This is in the same vein as the "anything less than a 10/10 is a failing grade" crap they pull. The staff works very hard and is, on average, very, very good. Getting them in trouble because random customers decide to be cheap, or think a 10/10 score should be reserved for absolutely over the top levels of service is mindless and morale-destroying on Royal's part.

Remove them all and tip as you go. We do that and have great service. Never an issue at all.

At least you know the person got the money directly rather than donate it to a billion dollar corporation in the hopes the full amount somehow trickles down to your server

Have a great cruise! You will probably even get better service if they know you are a direct cash tipper!

lol "Its not just cruises, I also remove tips and stiff people on land!" is an interesting justification.

For your information, the service in Miami was absolutely terrible and waiter was arrogant, the busboy was really good and friendly, hence he got a tip. The waiter was trying to stiff me the customer. I find it surprising that you think it’s acceptable for the waiter to dictate how much the tip should be!

Remove them all and tip as you go. We do that and have great service. Never an issue at all.

At least you know the person got the money directly rather than donate it to a billion dollar corporation in the hopes the full amount somehow trickles down to your server

Have a great cruise! You will probably even get better service if they know you are a direct cash tipper!

Perfectly sensible comment, great advice and thank you for not judging. Happy cruising

I'm not going to pass judgement in any way shape or form.

All I'm going to do is share with you that tipping via cash while at a hair salon, restaurant, etc is almost gone with the dinosaurs. Most restaurants in my area now have point of sale machines at each table where you run your card, select your tip amount, and close your bill.

At those places where they use an iPad to close your account, they have buttons to select to leave your tip amount..

Of course, if your wanting to teach them how to "palm" the tip for baggage handlers, doormen, or drivers,,, that's another thing.

I'll share with you that almost everyone you tip would rather you tip in cash. When it goes through a credit card and is put on their check, their employer is required to report that to the IRS. When you tip in cash, It's up to the server to report it. I don't know if it works that way on the ships or not, but I'm certain they'd still be tipped directly in cash.

I'll share with you that almost everyone you tip would rather you tip in cash. When it goes through a credit card and is put on their check, their employer is required to report that to the IRS. When you tip in cash, It's up to the server to report it. I don't know if it works that way on the ships or not, but I'm certain they'd still be tipped directly in cash.

Really??? WOW!! :eek:

OP, don’t listen to these people. A tip I’d completely 100% voluntary and until the cruise lines switch it from a gratuity to a resort/service fee you are in your right to tip in full, tip half, or not tip at all.

I also get annoyed when a server takes it upon him/herself to assign a tip a head of time. And the fact that I am supposed to tip based on the amount of the bill is absurd.

And for those who say that if you can’t afford to tip you can’t afford to cruise/eat out, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Again, tips are voluntary but mandatory.

It's my understanding that you cannot reduce automatic gratuities. Your options are to leave them intact, remove them altogether, or add to them, i.e., give your stateroom attendant and/or waiter additional tips.

Perfectly sensible comment, great advice and thank you for not judging. Happy cruising

While I am considering the source, nowhere did he say he would be decreasing the suggested amount which is what you intended to do. Quit trying to find someone who agrees with you.

It's my understanding that you cannot reduce automatic gratuities. Your options are to leave them intact, remove them altogether, or add to them, i.e., give your stateroom attendant and/or waiter additional tips.

I've tried a couple of times to add gratuities onboard and was told they couldn't do it.

I always pre pay my gratuities. There have been times where I've been upgraded from a JS to a GS or higher. I asked if they could deduct the additional amount for the higher category and they wouldn't do it. I made it up in the end with enough cash and then some but thought that was kind of odd. I didn't want anyone being stiffed because of my luck.

OP, don’t listen to these people. A tip I’d completely 100% voluntary and until the cruise lines switch it from a gratuity to a resort/service fee you are in your right to tip in full, tip half, or not tip at all.

I also get annoyed when a server takes it upon him/herself to assign a tip a head of time. And the fact that I am supposed to tip based on the amount of the bill is absurd.

And for those who say that if you can’t afford to tip you can’t afford to cruise/eat out, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Again, tips are voluntary but mandatory.

Thank you, a lot of people are making judgements about what I can afford, where I’m from etc and accusations of being cheap etc. I’m not bothered by them as these people don’t know anything about me.

Thnaks Sam for this great response. This is the way we have been tipping since our first cruise in 1978. We personally tip those we come in contact with directly, to make sure their efforts are rewarded appropriately. When we go to a restaurant, I tip the server for their service. It is not up to me to tip all the back of house staff. That is the responsibility of the owner, as it should be the responsibility of the cruise line to do the same.