Water

kristy29

I am going on the Gem in 2 weeks. I take a lot of medicines, some that have to be taken at bedtime or immediately upon waking up. I don't like tap water and I don't want to be trekking up to the buffet to get a drink every night and morning and I know you can't bring water on board anymore. I know when Carnival implemented this policy they started offering cases of water to be available in the room upon embarkation, is this something Norwegian offers?

This pops up frequently. FYI, the water on the ship is more pure than even bottled water. Each NCL ship has an evaporator and a Reverse Osmosis plant which produces water that is about as pure as you'll ever see. Lots of people complain that they get swelling and automatically think it must be because there is salt in the water. That's just not true. More than likely, it's the salt in the food.

I am going on the Gem in 2 weeks. I take a lot of medicines, some that have to be taken at bedtime or immediately upon waking up. I don't like tap water and I don't want to be trekking up to the buffet to get a drink every night and morning and I know you can't bring water on board anymore. I know when Carnival implemented this policy they started offering cases of water to be available in the room upon embarkation, is this something Norwegian offers?

Yes..a 6 pack of 1liter bottles is about 18 bucks..

Yeah I just checked, it's $50 for a case!!!! That's insane, it's water. Guess I'll skip paying my rent this month so I can buy water instead.

Or you can just drink the free water...

Bring your favorite water bottle and fill it up in the buffet. Use a clean glass to fill it and add ice. Leave it in the frig at night problem solved. FYI it’s the same water that’s in the cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What's the point of going to the buffet if it's the same water that's in the cabin?

We have Camelback water bottles that have filters in them. We fill them up using the water from the sink in our cabin's bathroom all the time and they work great! We keep them filled and just refill from the sink as often as we need. Always have water and don't have to worry about buying bottles from NCL.

I’ve had the water that is filtered on many a cruise ship, including ncl. I can and do taste the difference. I do not enjoy drinking it as I don’t like the taste, and I drink a lot of water. For those of you that are bothered by that....too bad.

Also, don’t join me at a wine tasting. You’ll probably be sitting there downing two buck chuck saying, it’s almost free and tastes the same.

I’ve had the water that is filtered on many a cruise ship, including ncl. I can and do taste the difference. I do not enjoy drinking it as I don’t like the taste, and I drink a lot of water. For those of you that are bothered by that....too bad.

Also, don’t join me at a wine tasting. You’ll probably be sitting there downing two buck chuck saying, it’s almost free and tastes the same.

I say drink what you like...you have many options.

You are entirely welcome to buy water from NCL, but fyi, the water in the tap in your cabin is the same water you'll get in the buffet or the MDR's.

Ship's tap water is some of the cleanest, purest water you'll ever find, likely even cleaner and purer than the expensive bottled water you'll be buying. But again, you are welcome to buy bottled water from NCL if you want.

We bought Brita water bottles with a built in filter and this is another option if like me you don't like to 'taste' your water. I also bring along some lemon flavoring (a dietary essential oil version) to make sure I don't run into taste issues. As a bonus, you can replace the filters in the Brita bottles and use them for other trips where you don't want to be stuck overpaying for bottled water. We use ours at the Disney parks and save some serious $$ on water.

I know when Carnival implemented this policy they started offering cases of water to be available in the room upon embarkation, is this something Norwegian offers?

Go to your NCL and you can order it on there OR take one of those large cold water glasses with you and fill it up before you go to your room for the night and you will be set :)

On our last trip we had a free bottle of water because of our latitude level. It is not spring water but water made by a similar process to the ships tap water. Both can taste a bit flat because it is pure water with none of the minerals, additives and air bubbles found in domestic water. Previous posts about water bottles are the way to go and if taste is an issue bring your own additive.

Take an empty refillable sports bottle and fill it up at the buffet daily. Problem solved.