No Rabbi on the Muse for Passover

marienbad

Thank you Expat for explaining.

I certainly didn't mean any disrespect to any religion. And I certainly don't profess to know the rules or nuances of Religious laws or customs.

I was just reporting on what I saw.

I can't judge nor will I do so.

I was not implying anything negative towards you or anyone. If it came across that way it was not the meaning. I just know that religion can be and is a topic that has lots of mis information and understanding. Yes I grew up Jewish, and my heritage is Judaism, but I respect all religions and believe that we can find good and bad ever where.

My posting was not to lecture or to try to move anyone just to provide information and let posts decide what to do with that information. If it came off another way that was not my intent.

Happy Passover to all Jews and Happy Holy Week to all Christian.

True, but as stated, if religious observance were important to me, which it is, I would not schedule a cruise during this time. I enjoy Christmas and Easter with the family, so we don’t sail then. Now if I could afford and arrange a cruise during those times with the whole family, I would love it, but I wouldn’t expect my preacher or any other minister to attend.

You are right if it is that important to you should stay home with friends and family.

Just an odd question to the OP -- who leads the Passover service at home. Do you bring a rabbi in for this?? Course not.

Our last Passover cruise was on Oceania. The cruise line set aside 1/2 of the Terrace cafe for a Seder. Over 100 people joined in. One guest lead the service. No need for a rabbi. Oceania provided all the proper Seder elements including Matzoh.

It was very appropriate as we had just left the Suez Canal in Egypt and were on our way to Haifa the next day...

On two previous passover Silversea cruises. A Rabbi was on board compliments of Silversea. One Rabbi told us he was invited to participate on cruises during passover. Chanukah . and the Jewish high holy days.

On two previous passover Silversea cruises. A Rabbi was on board compliments of Silversea. One Rabbi told us he was invited to participate on cruises during passover. Chanukah . and the Jewish high holy days.

That has been our experience on Crystal, and last December on Viking Ocean during Chanukah.

For us having a Rabbi or Cantor lead services enriches the experience, and should we choose to cruise during major Jewish holidays we will take into account which ships provide a Rabbi as part of our decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would just add that we have found that having clergy on board for holidays can add a lot of value.

To me having say a Rabbi on board for Passover is not just for the actual Seder it is the possibility as we have seen on at least one other cruise line to have other programs about the particular holiday. One of the reasons we cruise is discovery and that included not only what we learn when we visit a port but also by attending lectures and other enrichment programs. I have found myself attending program when various members of the clergy are on say a holiday sailing and learning about religions that I am not a part of. I have also enjoyed having lunch from time to time with members of the clergy. Another opportunity to learn.

Again this is a business as I mentioned earlier and thus some lines no longer have clergy beyond a Catholic Priest on board and that is clearly their decision. Others still have clergy. And still some might have clergy but maybe they cancelled at the last minute.

I just wanted to mention that the Seder is just one program but a Rabbi can be involved with other programs on a cruise taking place over Passover that go beyond the Seder and even Shabbat services.

In fact, with Passover and Easter both this week some joint programs by a Rabbi and a Catholic Priest would be very interesting and educational IMHO.

Keith

I would just add that we have found that having clergy on board for holidays can add a lot of value.

To me having say a Rabbi on board for Passover is not just for the actual Seder it is the possibility as we have seen on at least one other cruise line to have other programs about the particular holiday. One of the reasons we cruise is discovery and that included not only what we learn when we visit a port but also by attending lectures and other enrichment programs. I have found myself attending program when various members of the clergy are on say a holiday sailing and learning about religions that I am not a part of. I have also enjoyed having lunch from time to time with members of the clergy. Another opportunity to learn.

Again this is a business as I mentioned earlier and thus some lines no longer have clergy beyond a Catholic Priest on board and that is clearly their decision. Others still have clergy. And still some might have clergy but maybe they cancelled at the last minute.

I just wanted to mention that the Seder is just one program but a Rabbi can be involved with other programs on a cruise taking place over Passover that go beyond the Seder and even Shabbat services.

In fact, with Passover and Easter both this week some joint programs by a Rabbi and a Catholic Priest would be very interesting and educational IMHO.

Keith

Totally agree.

We are on the Whisper, and there will be a Passover seder on Friday open to all. I do not know if a rabbi will be leading it or not. While we will not attend, I encourage you to meet with the Maitre d’ and head chef to see if they can come up with a special meal that will be familiar and perfect for you.

I know from something the tour chaperone in Saigon said (her husband is a Rabbi) there is something on the Shadow too.

Did you wave as you left the City? Such a treat to be in port at the same time. We came aboard on the first day for lunch.

No Rabbi on the Muse but we will have Seder dinner in Indocine tonight with others.

Wishing you a blessed Pesach, marienbad. I'm glad to hear you have found a community onboard. Thank you for following up to let us know how it resolved.

Wishing you a blessed Pesach, marienbad. I'm glad to hear you have found a community onboard. Thank you for following up to let us know how it resolved.

Thank you for your kind message. They prepared a wonderful Seder dinner that we all enjoyed and appreciated.