No Rabbi on the Muse for Passover

marienbad

Keith I provided a fuller explanation in the post that crossed. The kosher issue is relevant in respect to using an orthodox rabbi. A progressive or liberal rabbi is not a rabbi so far as orthodox jews are concerned but an orthodox rabbi is acceptable to most.

Most of the Rabbis we have experienced on cruise ships have not been orthodox. We have had conservative or reform Rabbis and they have been very well received.

I believe Silversea at some time in the past did have Rabbis or Cantors for major holidays. On this ship at this time they have chosen not to provide one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not meaning to seem disrespectful or snarky, but I really don’t see why you would expect a rabbi to be onboard paid for the cruise line. I am Baptist. I don’t expect a Baptist preacher to be offered onboard, even at Easter or Christmas. (Of course, we believe in priesthood of the believer, so technically, preachers are not necessary to communicate with God.)

If there is a Christian service, usually lead by the CD or another crew member, I attend, but if not, so be it. If it is so important, don’t book a cruise during that particular holiday.

Not meaning to seem disrespectful or snarky, but I really don’t see why you would expect a rabbi to be onboard paid for the cruise line. I am Baptist. I don’t expect a Baptist preacher to be offered onboard, even at Easter or Christmas. (Of course, we believe in priesthood of the believer, so technically, preachers are not necessary to communicate with God.)

If there is a Christian service, usually lead by the CD or another crew member, I attend, but if not, so be it. If it is so important, don’t book a cruise during that particular holiday.

I take your post respectfully but I have answered this question on previous posts. Were you on the Muse now you would be able to worship Palm Sunday led by a priest.

Besides, you don't need a rabbi for a seder. A seder is usually a friends and family event, led by one of the elders present.

I hope the cruiseline has matza available and hopefully they can come up with some horseradish and charoset.

Besides, you don't need a rabbi for a seder. A seder is usually a friends and family event, led by one of the elders present.

I hope the cruiseline has matza available and hopefully they can come up with some horseradish and charoset.

Reason not the need—King Lear

Wasn’t the Last Supper a Seder?

Based on twenty plus years on Silversea, religious services for holidays depend on clergy who are on board as passengers. We have sailed with more than one passenger rabbi who arranged services. My brother in law is a protestant minister who held holiday services on the ship while a passenger. I remember that a great past CD, Ray Solaire, used to hold some holiday services, but that was his own initiative. I don't think the cruise line gets into this.

Based on twenty plus years on Silversea, religious services for holidays depend on clergy who are on board as passengers. We have sailed with more than one passenger rabbi who arranged services. My brother in law is a protestant minister who held holiday services on the ship while a passenger. I remember that a great past CD, Ray Solaire, used to hold some holiday services, but that was his own initiative. I don't think the cruise line gets into this.

We have met one rabbi and his wife who were travelling in a similar capacity as a bridge director, however this has only been on either the Wind or the Cloud. If they are on an SS ship next week it will be on the Wind not the Muse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I take your post respectfully but I have answered this question on previous posts. Were you on the Muse now you would be able to worship Palm Sunday led by a priest.

True, but as stated, if religious observance were important to me, which it is, I would not schedule a cruise during this time. I enjoy Christmas and Easter with the family, so we don’t sail then. Now if I could afford and arrange a cruise during those times with the whole family, I would love it, but I wouldn’t expect my preacher or any other minister to attend.

We are on the Whisper, and there will be a Passover seder on Friday open to all. I do not know if a rabbi will be leading it or not. While we will not attend, I encourage you to meet with the Maitre d’ and head chef to see if they can come up with a special meal that will be familiar and perfect for you.

Edited by Emtbsam
spelling

Funnily, yesterday in the MDR just after boarding, I did hear a guy with his Philipino wife asking the waiter if there was a service or place to pray on palm sumday (that day) as they were catholics. I’m afraid I didn’t hear the response.

My religion is football... and I’m most upset the big game next Saturday won’t be available streamed. I guess it’s something I’ll have to live with and will seek an alternative activity at the bar instead.

Keith I provided a fuller explanation in the post that crossed. The kosher issue is relevant in respect to using an orthodox rabbi. A progressive or liberal rabbi is not a rabbi so far as orthodox jews are concerned but an orthodox rabbi is acceptable to most.

Youwill never find a true Orthodox Rabbi on a cruise ship for Passover, they are not allowed to so. And this year is a double down as the first night of Passover falls on Friday Night the start of the Sabbath, Orthodox Rabbis do not travel on the Sabbath.

Putting that aside you should check with guest services and see if other guest on the ship are Jewish, you can do your own Passover Seder without a Rabbi. The information and the questions all can be found on line but most Jews already know them. I know the line will help you with the elements to have a Seder. Happy Passover and safe trip to you and your family.

Putting that aside you should check with guest services and see if other guest on the ship are Jewish, you can do your own Passover Seder without a Rabbi. The information and the questions all can be found on line but most Jews already know them. I know the line will help you with the elements to have a Seder. Happy Passover and safe trip to you and your family.

I am not the OP.

I am not the OP.

I'm sorry if you believed after reading that I was implying you were the original poster. If you believe that after reading it was a error in my wording. I replied to your comment about why you would not find a true Orthodox Rabbi doing a Cruise Passover Seder. Then in the second paragraph talked about having some form of Seder on the ship for the people on the ship who maybe interested.

I'm sorry if you believed after reading that I was implying you were the original poster. If you believe that after reading it was a error in my wording. I replied to your comment about why you would not find a true Orthodox Rabbi doing a Cruise Passover Seder. Then in the second paragraph talked about having some form of Seder on the ship for the people on the ship who maybe interested.

Yes, in the first paragraph you were adding to the reasons why an orthodox Rabbi wouldn't be traveling and in the second paragraph you were directing comments to the OP (you said "you") rather than replying to me.

I am not clear that the ship will know who are Jews and who are not and they certainly wouldn't be passing that information to another passenger. They would more likely indicate to all by way of the daily sheet where a service might be being held on the ship.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I am not clear that the ship will know who are Jews and who are not and they certainly wouldn't be passing that information to another passenger. They would more likely indicate to all by way of the daily sheet where a service might be being held on the ship.

If people had a interest it seems to be logical they would ask guest services. It could also be posted in the daily ships notices. I am sure the ship will have some notice about Easter, and they could place in the same way. Also the dinning room staff would have some idea if people are asking about services. And the ship has less than 600 passenger if full so not really that many people. Not prefect but a start.

I have been on the Spirit at Easter and Passover, it was several years ago.

There was a rabbi, who brought his wife, aboard. There was also a catholic priest.

Each led services and there was a Seder or Seders.

I didn't go to any of the gatherings, nor did I hear any reviews, except the crew were most appreciative of being able to attend mass.

On their off time, it seemed that the rabbi and his wife enjoyed the Spirit, as they were often in the hot tub with a flute of champagne, and the priest wore terrific Hawaiian shirts. We had drinks with him one night, and he was most convivial. He seemed to be enjoying himself as well.

Since the rabbi and the priest wore name tags, I am of the belief that they were considered members of the crew for the cruise.

I have been on the Spirit at Easter and Passover, it was several years ago.

There was a rabbi, who brought his wife, aboard. There was also a catholic priest.

Each led services and there was a Seder or Seders.

I didn't go to any of the gatherings, nor did I hear any reviews, except the crew were most appreciative of being able to attend mass.

On their off time, it seemed that the rabbi and his wife enjoyed the Spirit, as they were often in the hot tub with a flute of champagne, and the priest wore terrific Hawaiian shirts. We had drinks with him one night, and he was most convivial. He seemed to be enjoying himself as well.

Since the rabbi and the priest wore name tags, I am of the belief that they were considered members of the crew for the cruise.

The person could have been a cantor, who was acting as a Rabbi. Or a reform Rabbi, or a Conservative Rabbi Rabbi towards the reform side. But I guarantee you it was not a Orthodox Rabbi. It would never be allowed. Passover is a very important time in Judaism next to the high holidays it is as close as you can get > Jewish holy days of Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah are high holidays.

WithinJudaism, a rabbi is a teacher of Torah. In it's basic form anyonewho has studied the Torah and teaches it to others can callthemselves a Rabbi. I could call myself a Rabbi because I havestudied the Torah, but I would never consider myself to be a Rabbi. This goes back to Pharisaic and Talmudic era, when these teachersassembled to codify Judaism's written and oral laws.

Theauthority of Rabbis' is neither nominal nor spiritual, it is based oncredentials. That the person has were they studied and the sec ofJudaism they are part of. True Rabbis (vs people who have learnedthe Torah and tech in some way) receives an institutional stamp ofapproval. It is this authority that allows them to engage in thehalakhic process and make legal prescriptions. I believe the Rabbiyou may have seen falls in this group. Or was just breaking therules.

Thank you Expat for explaining.

I certainly didn't mean any disrespect to any religion. And I certainly don't profess to know the rules or nuances of Religious laws or customs.

I was just reporting on what I saw.

I can't judge nor will I do so.