what will you do for one day at Orlando?

hello, my big family are going on this adventure of the seas 7 days cruise from New york. There is one day stop at Orlando. We have kids 4 & 7, also have seniors. I don't know what should I do with that one day at Orlando.

Any suggestion would be appreciated! thanks!

No matter what Royal tells you, you are not stopping in Orlando, you are stopping in Port Canaveral. I'd look at something to do more local than bussing to Disney or Universal. Kennedy Space Center is a popular attraction.

That's right...Orlando is about 1 hour from Port Canaveral...you will NOT have time to get to Disney or Universal and have any time in the parks. You need to do the "theme" parks as a land-based vacation. There is always the space center to tour...or nearby beaches, shopping, etc....or, stay on the ship and use the pools while there are fewer folks aboard!

Also need to mention Cocoa Beach has nice beaches..you are just down the road from Jetty Park (take a taxi) and can be right on the beach there.

Little walking town of Cocoa Village is only 15 minutes away...lots of restaurants, cafes, shops, etc.

Kayaking, fishing, (both shallow water and deep sea) is available.

Even where you are docked, there are cafes and Exploration tower...worth a walk around.

Also try Tripadvisor and click on "things to do" for Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach.

Have fun! :D

No matter what Royal tells you, you are not stopping in Orlando, you are stopping in Port Canaveral. I'd look at something to do more local than bussing to Disney or Universal. Kennedy Space Center is a popular attraction.

Thanks Bob...indeed one of my pet peeves with RCI. :(

Thanks Bob...indeed one of my pet peeves with RCI. :(

Not just RCI, all the cruise lines will show the name of the "main" city, even if it's 1, 2 or more hours from the actual port. Alaska cruises almost always list Anchorage, even though they usually leave from either Seward or Whittier. Asia cruises will say Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh/Saigon instead of Laem Chabang and Phu My respectively. Many of the ports in Japan are also an hour or more away from the listed city.

Not just RCI, all the cruise lines will show the name of the "main" city, even if it's 1, 2 or more hours from the actual port. Alaska cruises almost always list Anchorage, even though they usually leave from either Seward or Whittier. Asia cruises will say Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh/Saigon instead of Laem Chabang and Phu My respectively. Many of the ports in Japan are also an hour or more away from the listed city.

Same in Europe with,

London from Southampton.

Paris from Le Havre.

Rome from Civitevechia.

All are between 1 and 2 hours away.

Hmm...really?

RCI: Seward Alaska listed (not Anchorage) Galveston listed (not Houston)....etc. And why not list almost non exist and unheard of until a couple of years ago....Cape Liberty as Newark or New York City?

Hmmm...:confused:

Sorry, but listing Port Canaveral as being Orlando is confusing to quite a few people. :o Please read the OP's thread starter and question about a "day in Orlando".

Edited by island lady

Same in Europe with,

London from Southampton.

Paris from Le Havre.

Rome from Civitevechia.

All are between 1 and 2 hours away.

Graham...RCI (here in the states anyway) does list ports as Southampton, Le Havre, and Civitevechia. :confused:

But Graham...RCI (here in the states anyway) RCI DOES list ports as Southampton, Le Havre, and Civitevechia. :confused:

Yes they do but the attractions and tours are advertised as.

Southampton for London.

LeHavre for Paris.

Civitevechia for Rome.

All the ports especially Southampton have their own centre but the bulk of the tours are to the main tourist city's i mentioned which are the capital cities also of those countries

We went to Cape Canaveral in 1992 so that would be my choice for Orlando.

Best Regards.

Graham.

Yes they do but the attractions and tours are advertised as.

Southampton for London.

LeHavre for Paris.

Civitevechia for Rome.

All the ports especially Southampton have their own centre but the bulk of the tours are to the main tourist city's i mentioned which are the capital cities also of those countries

We went to Cape Canaveral in 1992 so that would be my choice for Orlando.

Best Regards.

Graham.

Yup, that makes sense. Thanks Graham. I just wish RCI would list the departure port as what it is. And then, by your suggestion...Orlando as a tour option.

Ports, Deep sea fishing, and beaches are a little hard to find 50 miles inland. ;p

Yup, that makes sense. Thanks Graham. I just wish RCI would list the departure port as what it is. And then, by your suggestion...Orlando as a tour option.

Ports, Deep sea fishing, and beaches are a little hard to find 50 miles inland. ;p

Europes main attractions are historical sites,palaces,churches and shopping which are best found in the 3 capital cities i mentioned plus Barcelona.

The south of France has fantastic beaches at Nice and Cannes.

Italys are in Lido de jesolo near Rimini and Venice.

Spains are the Costas between

Barcelona and Malaga.

Graham.

Europes main attractions are historical sites,palaces,churches and shopping which are best found in the 3 capital cities i mentioned plus Barcelona.

The south of France has fantastic beaches at Nice and Cannes.

Italys are in Lido de jesolo near Rimini and Venice.

Spains are the Costas between

Barcelona and Malaga.

Graham.

Sounds wonderful! :cool:

We spent some time at Nice before a couple of cruises...loved it. But our favorite was La Grande Motte where we stayed post cruise. Beautiful! :D

Best part of Italy for me was Cinque Terre...gorgeous coastline! :hearteyes:

Kennedy Space Center is nice but also expensive! I'd personally make it a Cocoa Beach day!

Thanks.

A few years ago we could lie in the sun for 8 hours but since Pauline had a basal cell skin cancer removed we don't sunbathe now.

my son and family just went to the beach for the day. They said they enjoyed that, even if the water was a bit cool.

Excellent choice...and something that is always nice for the whole family...young and older. :hearteyes:

That's right...Orlando is about 1 hour from Port Canaveral...you will NOT have time to get to Disney or Universal and have any time in the parks. You need to do the "theme" parks as a land-based vacation. There is always the space center to tour...or nearby beaches, shopping, etc....or, stay on the ship and use the pools while there are fewer folks aboard!

It really depends on the time of your stay. I did Universal in December from the ship. The park was seriously slow. I was able tour the entire park, do all the rides and still had time to sit down for lunch before heading back. I also understand that this was a serious anomaly as i came in on a Wednesday in the middle of December. We only did one park.

I tried it again on a Wednesday in September. The park was packed. However, due to our planning and some wrangling, we were still able to complete most of the two parks within the time allotted. However, you may not have the same opportunity as us. We purchased a 2 park pass and had the fast pass for all the rides. We scored that because I had a friend who worked there that got us discounted tickets and passes. We also rented a van to drive the 5 of us there and back. If it wasn't for our friend, you're looking at ticket prices that approach 270/person (including the fast pass).

So, yes, you can do it, but if you want to do it right and within the time allotted, you need to spend extra money. Also, I do not know if Disney actually sells their fast pass, or if its a perk for staying on resort. Plus, Disney parks are larger and take more time.

Bottom line, unless you're willing to spend a premium for that day, I'd skip the theme parks. You said you had young children and they are not as mobile. You have to be pretty quick on your feet as well to enjoy it with the time you have available.

While there might theoretically be time to go to the theme parks in Orlando during a 'day' trip off the ship, I don't think it's worth the cost. Tickets are very expensive and you're looking at 1-1.5 hours drive each way. Also, depending on the time of year you are going on the cruise the parks could be VERY VERY crowded to the point where you could only do a couple of attractions. Disney fast passes book up far in advance and Universal fast passes will cost you an additional fee (sometimes over $100, depends on how busy it is).

I would absolutely go to Kennedy Space Center though. It's closer to the port, it's amazing, and it costs less than half what a 1 day theme park ticket would cost you.

I live in Orlando and if it were me, I would not try to take a day trip from the port while on a cruise. As a local I can tell you that there are too many variables that come into play with a combo of the theme parks plus traffic getting in and out that could turn your day into a disaster (aka missing the ship). We've got this little road named I-4, which has been designated as the deadliest highway in the country. It's currently undergoing a major, multi-year expansion project and everything's an absolute mess right now (even more so than usual). Granted, when traveling from the port to the theme parks your time spent on I-4 is minimal, or nonexistent depending on where you're going, but 528 (east/west highway connecting the cape to Orlando) and other routes can be impacted by what's currently happening on I-4.

A cruise is for relaxation and dealing with the drive to Orlando and crowds at the theme parks is anything but.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums