Money Exchange Question

Wife and I will be sailing on Navigator Of The Seas April 22... 14 days from Miami to South Hampton. We will then be spending a week in Cornwall, England. As we will arrive in South Hampton on a Sunday, my inquiry is whether we should convert American dollars to British Pounds on the ship (with a 3% fee) or try to find a bank or money exchange in Southhampton that Sunday, before proceeding on to Cornwall the same day (private transport car is picking us up). I am also awaiting information from my local Florida bank as to their policies/fees.

Thanks!

Geoff and Donna:D:D

Wife and I will be sailing on Navigator Of The Seas April 22... 14 days from Miami to South Hampton. We will then be spending a week in Cornwall, England. As we will arrive in South Hampton on a Sunday, my inquiry is whether we should convert American dollars to British Pounds on the ship (with a 3% fee) or try to find a bank or money exchange in Southhampton that Sunday, before proceeding on to Cornwall the same day (private transport car is picking us up). I am also awaiting information from my local Florida bank as to their policies/fees.

Thanks!

Firstly it's Southampton.

If changing money in the UK, perhaps use either Marks and Spencer or Debenhams department stores, you could check the rate now on their websites but if they do it the 'wrong way round' as it were, changing USD to GBP that's usually at a poor rate given to Brits returning from US vacations.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Forums mobile app

Thanks!

I'd look for a bank ATM off the ship, they usually have the best exchange rates.

Did exchange on liberty of seas TA in 2014 b/c they charged no fee and the rate was excellent. Maybe they charge a fee now. If so I would hit an ATM when you arrive. You basically get the lowest rate possible. The only thing to consider then is the fees you may pay for the ATM transaction. With some banks you won’t pay any so research that part out.

If UK ATM machines are like US ones, they tend to dispense larger bills. If you are a AAA member you can get a pack of smaller bills that will tide you over until you can get to an ATM.

I'd look for a bank ATM off the ship, they usually have the best exchange rates.

+1. Both at the train station and around the bus station (I assume you'll take one of those from Southampton) there's ATM - use that.

BTW, ask this on the Roll Call thread for the sailing -others will want the same thing.

I would get pounds before you leave USA and just get more from a bank or currency exchange if needed. On a Sunday these will not be open. You should be able to use your credit cards in UK for most purchases. I rarely carry much cash around these days in UK. I would take a back up card if you have an AMEX as some places don't accept them due to historic higher merchant costs. VISA and MasterCard WIDELY accepted.

If there are Brits on your roll call you could ask if anyone wants to change some pounds to dollars as soon as you board. I usually change up some dollars to use at ports of call and for cash tips on the ship so would be happy to do it if I were on your cruise.

Cards are widely used in the UK so you will only need small amounts of cash and can easily top up at ATMs (or cashpoints as we call them) when you are here.

Whereabouts in Cornwall are you visiting? Have a great time,

Julie

Staying in Redruth at the Cedars Bed and Breakfast. My wife's family was from the area, way back in the 1600's and we have found a few relatives in the region, who we are hoping to meet. We have rented a car service to bring us from So Hampton to Redruth, and a week later, back to Gatwick.

Two week Navigator of the Seas cruise, "across the pond" and then 8 day Britian vacation. This 21 day "holiday" will be our longest trip ever! MORE THAN EXCITED!!!

Redruth is 'proper' Cornwall, lots of real Cornish people still living there, not like in Newquay where we live which is full of us 'foreigners':)

It's very central for getting around the whole county though, hope you enjoy, not many Americans make it this far southwest.

Julie

If UK ATM machines are like US ones, they tend to dispense larger bills. If you are a AAA member you can get a pack of smaller bills that will tide you over until you can get to an ATM.

Agreed that you should use an ATM machine in the UK. Avoid using the ship, it has an awful exchange rate.

Around us, AAA stopped selling small-packet money a while ago. You can order TravelEx cash from them, [Large] minimum purchase to avoid service/delivery charge.

This ^^^^^^^

Exchanging at your bank before you go will cost more, sometimes MUCH more.

Same with money changers once you get to the UK.

Just call your bank and let them know you will be traveling.

I use ATMs all over the world to get local cash. Quick, easy, lowest cost.

Agree with the others....use the ATM

My bank charges me $2.50 per transaction, but you get the official exchange rate. I have a debit card account that I basically leave empty until I travel overseas. DW has a seperate account in case she is traveling seperate or we need more than our max per day.

I usually get 400 euros at a time as I have a $500 max per day.

We also have a credit card that refunds the fee.....but we like the cash coming straight from the bank account.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Agree with the others....use the ATM

My bank charges me $2.50 per transaction, but you get the official exchange rate. I have a debit card account that I basically leave empty until I travel overseas. DW has a seperate account in case she is traveling seperate or we need more than our max per day.

I usually get 400 euros at a time as I have a $500 max per day.

We also have a credit card that refunds the fee.....but we like the cash coming straight from the bank account.

Capital One has a debit card that refunds the ATM fees up to $30 per month. Plus, no foreign transaction fees. I do the same thing as you with regard to having this account dedicated to travel funds.

Capital One has a debit card that refunds the ATM fees up to $30 per month. Plus, no foreign transaction fees. I do the same thing as you with regard to having this account dedicated to travel funds.
We considered Capital One......but didn't want to establish another banking relationship over a $2.50 transaction fee. We probably hit a foreign ATM 4 or 5 times a year and don't mind bringing Euros home.

We also pay no foreign transaction fees.

We considered Capital One......but didn't want to establish another banking relationship over a $2.50 transaction fee. We probably hit a foreign ATM 4 or 5 times a year and don't mind bringing Euros home.

We also pay no foreign transaction fees.

My point of view was the opposite, that I wanted a completely separate bank from the local ones in town that we use. I don't have a warm feeling about debit cards and wanted to be sure that if anything went wonky with that card or account, it would not somehow "auto deduct" or "overdraft protect" from one of our other accounts.

My point of view was the opposite, that I wanted a completely separate bank from the local ones in town that we use. I don't have a warm feeling about debit cards and wanted to be sure that if anything went wonky with that card or account, it would not somehow "auto deduct" or "overdraft protect" from one of our other accounts.

I see your point.....