Place to Purchase Wine between MIA and Port of MIA?

travelbug4

Good morning!

I was wondering if anyone had a place they usually stop to pick up wine before boarding their ship?

We are flying in around 11:15 am on a Saturday into MIA and have a boarding time at 12:30. We plan to just uber to the ship and were hoping there would be a place to swing by between MIA and the port of MIA that would be open around 11:30-12. Hoping to bring on a couple of bottles of wine and a 12 pack of something non-alcoholic.

Trying to avoid checking bags on the plane otherwise I would bring it from home.

Would love any suggestions.

Thank you! :)

How about here: Winn-Dixie 1155 NW 11th St, Miami, FL 33136

There was an announcement today that a lot of Winn-Dixies are closing, but this is not one of them. It's on the way from Airport to Cruise Port.

Or, if you want to head to Bayside Marketplace area near the entrance to the Port, there are a ton of convenience stores, drug stores, and a grocery store. See: 7-Eleven 100 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, FL 33132.

I would catch a Lyft or Uber to your chosen spot, shop at your leisure, and catch a second ride to the port.

Everyone is different but my suggestion would to be to pack it from home - not an 'easy' stop from MIA to Cruise Port - plus traffic factor - drive from MIA to Cruise Port is fairly direct so unless you want to spend time looking for store as opposed to being on ship at your boarding time - pack at home if that is an option for you.

All great info! Thank you! I didn't realize you could buy wine in a grocery store in Florida. Perfect! Might also try and find that shop at the airport too.

If we decide to check bags (hoping not to) I will throw a couple in from home........never checked wine bottles before....will it be ok in the suitcase in the cargo of the plane from the pressure? Would you put a 12 pack of soda in a checked bag or would be pressure be too much?

Thanks again!

All great info! Thank you! I didn't realize you could buy wine in a grocery store in Florida. Perfect! Might also try and find that shop at the airport too.

If we decide to check bags (hoping not to) I will throw a couple in from home........never checked wine bottles before....will it be ok in the suitcase in the cargo of the plane from the pressure? Would you put a 12 pack of soda in a checked bag or would be pressure be too much?

Thanks again!

Here's what TSA says:

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2014/01/07/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-traveling-alcoholic-beverages

You can purchase travel bags just for this purpose if you're interested.

https://www.amazon.com/VinniBag-Inflatable-Travel-Bag-Recyclable/dp/B0041IC244?tag=bonappfig-20

Thanks again!

To pack a bottle of wine in your checked bag, wrap the bottle in bubble wrap and put it in the center of your suitcase, using your clothing as extra padding. I would advise against packing cans of sodas in your checked luggage. You would have to wrap each individual can in bubble wrap, then put the cans in large ziplock bags. Even after doing that, there's still no guarantee that one (or more) of those thin aluminum cans won't rupture in your suitcase. Keep in mind that a 12 pack of sodas weighs 9 lbs. That extra 9 lbs. in your suitcase could mean the difference as to whether or not your bag is over the 50 lb. limit. Much better to stop at a grocery store or convenience store on the way to the port.

There is a Whole Foods right off the highway which can be on the way to the port, it's not out of the way since it's in downtown, it just makes it that they can't use the tunnel. They have a tremendous wine selection. There is also a CVS close to the port on Biscayne Blvd that has wine.

The Winn Dixie mentioned is a pain to get off the 836 and then back on to the port. Plus is your driver takes 112 out of MIA, it's out of the way.

I think the wine you see for sale at MIA is in the duty free - only available for those departing on international flights (they check your boarding pass).

Any grocery store in Miami will have an okay wine selection - Publix grocery stores, in my experience, have an above average selection. Even CVS and Walgreens will have a basic selection of national brands.

Tell your Uber driver what you want, and then shop fast because the meter will be running! ;)

There is a new wine store that opened near the port, Wine by the Bay, located at 888 Biscayne Blvd (across from American Airlines Arena). I walked by there yesterday and the selection is good! It is on the street level of the Marina Blue condo, next to next to CVS Pharmacy.

https://www.winebtb.com/

I am making a note of this.

Keith

There is no shortage of liquor stores in Florida. Go to google maps and search for Publix Liquor, ABC Wine, or Total Wine and More. Total Wine has the largest selection if you find one on your route. Many other grocery stores sell wine as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by steve20832

There is a new wine store that opened near the port, Wine by the Bay, located at 888 Biscayne Blvd (across from American Airlines Arena). I walked by there yesterday and the selection is good! It is on the street level of the Marina Blue condo, next to next to CVS Pharmacy.

https://www.winebtb.com/

I forget about this place, had gone to a wine tasting there but that was years ago. I think they have been open for at least 3 years!

I forget about this place, had gone to a wine tasting there but that was years ago. I think they have been open for at least 3 years!

Yes, Carolyn you are correct; it has been open for a while! I had not walked by there in a while, so it was "new" to me :D:) We walked over to Sushi Sake at the ME condo/hotel and passed by the shop.

Yes, Carolyn you are correct; it has been open for a while! I had not walked by there in a while, so it was "new" to me :D:) We walked over to Sushi Sake at the ME condo/hotel and passed by the shop.

I don't know why I always blank on that when telling people where to get wine by the port.

I'm a huge fan of sushi Sake. Wish they didn't close their brickell location.