Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Tim Gunn's new show starts tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to it.

My 9 year-old daughter and I will be watching it also tonight. :)

We will have to catch up with the next episodes when we get back from our cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone watching the new show?

Looks like the producers put it under the "Project Runway" brand - think it was originally a stand alone project for Tim.

Really disliked the selection process - luckily I could fast forward through most of it. I actually fast forward through much of the workroom - especially since the mentor sections take up too much time. Have been so disappointed in Nick as a mentor, but he also has the weakest designers. Mondo has been doing a good job and has the best designers.

Specifically about tonight's show - is this the 1st time it was an hour only? I thought it was 90 minutes previously - I did not miss the extra 30 minutes and really prefer it. Anyways, I didn't agree with the prior judges' decisions, but tonight they got it right! I am so happy that Isabelle is gone - surprised the producers didn't keep her around for the drama; hopefully this means that the producers are learning that the audience won't accept it and you turn more people away from a show. The winning design was awesome too - Asha has really surprised me these last couple of weeks.

Anyone else watching? Or, are you waiting for the original PR to return?

I adore Tim Gunn and love Mondo, so of course I am watching the show. I didn't think Isabelle was a bad designer, just not right for competition. She had no concept of time restraints and could not work under pressure. I think if she was left alone to do her thing in her own time, she probably turns out some great work. I was glad to see her go, the frustration watching her really got to me.

Of course, the same can be said for all the competitors on these shows. Given a reasonable amount of time, they all could turn out fabulous designs. I love watching the shows, but cannot imagine wanting to put that much pressure and stress on yourself to win.

Anya and Mondo are both doing such a great job mentoring. She seems to be able to encourage the designers in a positive way, she's very likable. So is Mondo, he's just fun to watch. I loved his comment about how he dresses "tomboy" last night. Nick, well I'm sure he's a good teacher, but this isn't about teaching. The designers have to create their own vision and, to me, the mentors are there to inspire and critique, not show them how to do the work.

Always fun to watch :) The contestants don't seem to be quite as snarky and whiney as on Project Runway…but we'll see as the season continues.

I'm watching, but not liking the show much. Too much yakkety-yak, which I never have liked in any of the other shows, either. But there seems to be more of it here -- chatter among the designers, chatter among the mentors, chatter between Tim and the mentors, even the chatter between the judges and Tim! I just like to hear what the challenge is and see what comes out at the end, with some glimpses into the actual design process, not so much the soap opera drama between the people.

I really dislike the entire concept of the contest between the mentors. Tim's role as mentor, which I always appreciated in the regular series, is diminished too much. I think the entire format ends up pushing the mentors to change the designers into what the mentors think will win, because then the mentor will win. Tim was never in competition, hence objective.

I hated it when Anya was forced to fire one of her designers -- she had to fire the guy who did poorly due to her own advice!! That was totally unfair, in my opinion -- both to Anya and to the designer. I never saw that coming, though it might have been made clear at the beginning of the series that the mentors might be forced to get rid of one of their own -- I fast forward through a lot, so I might have missed it...

Though I liked the winning design for the Disney singer -- what was her name? -- I just wish the plaid "skirt" had been and actual man's shirt! It would have looked more easy and natural, less tortured. And I was proud to hear the singer say that "her mother might not have approved" of some of the sexier outfits! Good for her! I thought some of the designers had no clue when it came to dressing a young girl in attractive but appropriate clothing, even a hip hop artist. (That red fringed number for example -- ugh!)

Missed the end of last night's show------who was eliminated?

Thank you

No one. They got to the end, Tim intoned, "The designer who will be leaving us tonight is . . . . . . neither of you!" Anya jumped for joy.

My guess is they have another group thing planned and the even numbers are necessary.

I hated it when Anya was forced to fire one of her designers -- she had to fire the guy who did poorly due to her own advice!! That was totally unfair, in my opinion -- both to Anya and to the designer. I never saw that coming, though it might have been made clear at the beginning of the series that the mentors might be forced to get rid of one of their own -- I fast forward through a lot, so I might have missed it...

I'm quoting someone else, but I seem to recall Tim saying this too - it is not the mentors job to judge the designers. Her having to fire one of her designer's was against one of Tim's own beliefs. Not sure if I mentioned this today, but I hate the PR producers.

I also fast forward alot, so I missed what changed in Nick's group. I was so happy to see them getting along and helping each other. Also happy they won - I liked their designs the best. But, I think it's completely unfair to not get rid of a designer! GGRRRRR Like hrhdhd said, maybe they have another group thing coming? Who knows - maybe they just didn't want Anya left with 2 designers. I really haven't seen anything that Nicolas (? - they guy Anya kept) that excites me. I do seem to recall that I liked his book and I think his first design when they picked designers. But, he has only been a disappointment on the show (IMO). At least Isabelle was exciting - this guy is boring for a reality TV show.

This time they asked Anya to fire one of her designers again, and this time she sent Nicholas packing. His creation was not Avant -Garde enough to please Anya or the judges.

I don't like the steampunk Avant-Garde challenge. However, it's purpose might be to push the designers' imaginations. None of the fashions would be wearable for the average woman, or even the Red Carpet.

This time they asked Anya to fire one of her designers again, and this time she sent Nicholas packing. His creation was not Avant -Garde enough to please Anya or the judges.

I don't like the steampunk Avant-Garde challenge. However, it's purpose might be to push the designers' imaginations. None of the fashions would be wearable for the average woman, or even the Red Carpet.

I just watched it. I'm so glad that Shan won!!! I liked Natalia's dress, but Shan's outfit looked like it could be worn to a concert or something and I don't know where that dress could be worn.

Nicholas needed to go home. I think his mother must've sewn the things in his portfolio, because he doesn't have the imagination or the discipline to do it himself and today he proved it. :rolleyes:

I'm watching and I actually like it, but I think I may be Project Runway'd out. Think Lifetime did a disservice going from the original's last season to the All Star season to this Under the Gunn season (which I still don't think was originally PR). No time in between and the designers are just all jelling together. The only designers that have made an impression on me is Oscar and Asha - and they were both not very promissing on selection day. Oscar needs a LOT of editing, but, when he does it right, his designs are fantastic and definitely the best on the show (IMO). But, if this is like the usual PR and the top designers are left on their own for a few weeks at home to make their final designs, then I fear for what Oscar will bring (yes, I'm assuming he makes it to the final - I assume at least one person from each will make it to the final).

What happened this week? oh yes, it was an unconventional challenge. The winning design was fine, but I would have given it to Oscar for the way he manipulated those fans. Must have been a struggle to come up with the bottom - I agreed with Mondo that Michelle didn't belong there, but I guess they need to pick three. Regardless, her design didn't deserve to be up against Michelle's mess of a dress. I wasn't impressed by Michelle from day 1 - think I would have preferred some of the people they left versus her.

I just watched it. I'm so glad that Shan won!!! I liked Natalia's dress, but Shan's outfit looked like it could be worn to a concert or something and I don't know where that dress could be worn.

Nicholas needed to go home. I think his mother must've sewn the things in his portfolio, because he doesn't have the imagination or the discipline to do it himself and today he proved it. :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you on Nicholas's lack of imagination.

I'm just about done with Under the Gunn. I felt that Mondo and Anya's pout-fest was way out of line. They seem to have forgotten that they're supposed to be the grown-ups in the room. I could understand that they have a bone to pick regarding Nick's mentoring style being way too hands-on, but arguing that Natalie should have been eliminated because she's performed poorly in past challenges is pretty nervy of them.

I'm just about done with Under the Gunn. I felt that Mondo and Anya's pout-fest was way out of line. They seem to have forgotten that they're supposed to be the grown-ups in the room. I could understand that they have a bone to pick regarding Nick's mentoring style being way too hands-on, but arguing that Natalie should have been eliminated because she's performed poorly in past challenges is pretty nervy of them.

I was completely turned off by their poutiness, too. Their reactions seemed very childish to me. They are mentors not judges.

I can't normally say this, but I have been agreeing with the judge's picks for top and bottom 3. Of course, I may have a favorite that doesn't win but I really can't remember disagreeing with the people they've sent home (even when they leave it up to the mentor, it is IMO the top or bottom 2.)

So, even though I don't think Natalia is a strong designer, I also could see that the three in the bottom had legitimate reasons to be there. Frankly, Asha's design was horrendous! If she hadn't had several top designs, she should have gone home. I actually can appreciate Mondo speaking up and arguing for his designer - if it were you, wouldn't you express your frustration with the judges not getting your designers? However, commenting like he and Anya did on Natalia was completely uncalled for and immature. Sour grapes. And, I can't help but state the obvious that Anya has no right to call out somebody else for their construction skills. Happy the judges wanted none of it.

I'm really not a Natalia fan, but I think that she is really getting a lot out of being on this show - the interaction between her and Nick was great last night when he was turning her questions back on her and she was taking ownership in her design. I know she's not going to win, but she's not necessarily there while somebody else better is going home yet either.

I'm also very put out with Mondo and Anya. I understand if they have a different opinion than the judges. But neither of them has the wealth of experience as the judges. Please!!

I'm also very put out with Mondo and Anya. I understand if they have a different opinion than the judges. But neither of them has the wealth of experience as the judges. Please!!

I also don't get Anya and Mondo, but let's face it, Macklemore has about as much experience judging fashion as I do. :) The regular judges, I get your point.

I especially didn't like their hypocritical goading of Nick after they had said their comments about Natalia. He responded, and they were all, "How dare you criticize us for commenting?" I'm about over this show as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the end is near, and they're down to what was supposed to be the final three. Surprisingly, the judges have allowed both Sam and Asha to remain in the competition, bringing the finalists to four.

I was certain that Sam would have been sent home last night, but he was given one more chance by the compasionate judges.

I look forward to seeing their collections walk down the runway.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say that I agree with the order in which the judges eliminated everyone. Shan was good most of season, but his final collection wasn't great. How lucky was Asha to get a great tailor to help her? Regardless, the designs were not good, although her inspiration was great.

At the end of the day, honestly, I don't know if any of the designs stood out. Obviously, I am happy that Oscar won and he deserved it (and, let's be honest, who guessed that at day 1 when he was a leftover that Nick was able to get.) I'm also happy Nick won given the bad behavior of the other judges.

But, I am so happy it's over. I think I may not watch next season of PR (I say that now...) This is one of the few competition shows that I watch and I just don't like the editing and producer interference. Almost every one of my posts end up complaining about it. I even started to feel negatively about Tim for being a part of it, for being the spokesperson. It's just a television show and I've let it get under my nerves. Not worth it. (but, like I said, I say that now. sigh)

Glad Nick and Oscar won. I was so unimpressed with the behavior of Mondo and Anya that it ruined the show for me and I was a huge Mondo fan prior. The show was a dud. I only finished the season because of Tim Gunn.

Does anyone think we will see any of these contestants on the next Project Runway? Perhaps Shan? I liked his garments until the finale.