Drones on the cruise ship?

Baron2005

Do you have a particular cruise line in mind? If so, I would ask on the board for that cruise line.

Yes, drones are forbidden on most cruise lines. You are not even allowed to bring them on board. They will be confiscated, and not returned until you disembark...at least on the couple of cruise lines I am familiar with.

Drones in some countries are viewed as weapons similar to wearing camouflage being outlawed as it could be an army uniform. If the cruise even allows the drone onboard, you better be EXTRA careful that you do not fly it in a forbidden country or you could be detained.

No, same as the last time this was asked two weeks ago

I did not ask this question two weeks ago. I found out that drones can not be used on the cruise ship, but i was not sure if they can be used at the port of call / beach. Obviously it is impossible. Glad i asked.

Well I would say: Do your homework somewhere else. Cruis Critic is a site where a lot of people don't like drones.

I have spent 21nts in a row on a cruise ship with my drone, I handed in the remote control during the time I was onboard and got it back when we where in port. Had no problems at all.

Well I would say: Do your homework somewhere else. Cruis Critic is a site where a lot of people don't like drones. .

This must be a language thing, so let me fix that sentence for you: "Cruise Critic is a site where a lot of people are trying to help you stay out of trouble with your drone."

You are welcome. ;p

I have spent 21nts in a row on a cruise ship with my drone, I handed in the remote control during the time I was onboard and got it back when we where in port. Had no problems at all.

And how many of those ports did you make sure they were legal to use? None? So you got lucky, huh? Good for you. Maybe the next time you won't be so lucky.

Well I would say: Do your homework somewhere else. Cruis Critic is a site where a lot of people don't like drones.

Hmmm...interesting there is no mention of cruise line or ship, or ports...things that would help the OP immensely.

Quick. Get out your pitch forks and burning stakes!

The whole point of these boards is to get a bit of help and get a bit of guidance. UAV’s are not things discussed much.

On the cruise I’ve just returned from with Silversea to communist Vietnam, I could have taken mine with me but decided the hassle of getting a permit to fly in Vietnam (I wanted specifically to fly at Halong bay) was too difficult to obtain so I didn’t try. It most certainly would not be illegal to have brought it with me on the ship had I obtained one and having spoken with the cruise line previously, they had no problem with me bringing it on board and have had with me on my previous 2 cruises to the Med and Caribbean. (There are no fly islands before anyone mentions.... so you simply don’t bring on shore or use in those locations.)

It is however a grey area on many aspects.

OP if you post more details of the cruise line you want to use and the itinerary, I expect you may get a more helpful response.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Quick. Get out your pitch forks and burning stakes!

The whole point of these boards is to get a bit of help and get a bit of guidance. UAV’s are not things discussed much.

On the cruise I’ve just returned from with Silversea to communist Vietnam, I could have taken mine with me but decided the hassle of getting a permit to fly in Vietnam (I wanted specifically to fly at Halong bay) was too difficult to obtain so I didn’t try. It most certainly would not be illegal to have brought it with me on the ship had I obtained one and having spoken with the cruise line previously, they had no problem with me bringing it on board and have had with me on my previous 2 cruises to the Med and Caribbean. (There are no fly islands before anyone mentions.... so you simply don’t bring on shore or use in those locations.)

It is however a grey area on many aspects.

OP if you post more details of the cruise line you want to use and the itinerary, I expect you may get a more helpful response.

The point people have been making is just that. In many countries they are illegal. And can get you arrested.

MAYBE a permit can be obtained. But many times you have to show up in person to get the permit. Which takes away most of your day.

Not a grey area. ILLEGAL in many countries.

Not to mention, that the controller may operate on frequencies that are illegal in some countries. So you are illegally operating a drone, using RF radiation on frequencies that are illegal for private persons to use in that country.

The point people have been making is just that. In m NJany countries they are illegal. And can get you arrested.

MAYBE a permit can be obtained. But many times you have to show up in person to get the permit. Which takes away most of your day.

Not a grey area. ILLEGAL in many countries.

Not to mention, that the controller may operate on frequencies that are illegal in some countries. So you are illegally operating a drone, using RF radiation on frequencies that are illegal for private persons to use in that country.

Clearly you don't understand English.

It is not illegal to fly in Vietnam unless you do so without a permit.

People do go through the process and do get them. I just couldn't be bothered to go through the hassle.

If it was illegal no one would be able to fly there and that simply is not the case. And I have no idea why you suggest you have to "turn up" to get a permit. They are granted before arrival. Just because I chose not to bother is irrelevant since it was the logistics of my stop in halong bay that made me decide not to bother. Besides, I already had too much luggage.... And that's not illegal either.

Are laws regarding UAVs becoming more restrictive? Yes they are, no doubt about it. Too many idiots who fly without learning the rules is the reason.

And yes, there are countries they are illegal to use.... And many they are not. I have no idea why you think people cannot fly UAVs legally, but you are simply wrong. I am certainly not advocating people take their UAV and fly anywhere. That would be plain bonkers. You would obviously need to find out details and that is what is being sought by the OP. For all you know, he might be doing a cruise around the British Isles. There are certainly rules in place and decent UAVs help with geofencing making flight impossible in places you’re not allowed to fly (yes illegal places).... but for the main, you will be free to fly in the U.K. and information is freely available on restrictions.

As for the "radio frequency radiation", did you just make that up? Yes I understand what you are saying, but do wonder if you have examples of where a DJI may be deemed to be using an illegal frequency. Do you think just because one country bans something, that means it's banned on the planet? There are many grey areas and asking questions on specifics is the way to go rather that shout “illegal” without any specifics. It may well be the OP wants to fly somewhere it is banned. Until we find that out, it’s rather daft to shout it will be.

Edited by les37b

Like I said, it can be done with permission from the cruise line. Even on cruise lines that have them on the banned items list.

Before someone think that I was "just lucky", well I didn't bring it with on every ports of call. I will let you guess why :rolleyes: 113986-7ac6f4bb8f2e494e9447b2a8a3d07b7c.jpg

Here you have the laws/rules in most of the Caribbean Islands and countries:

Anguilla

description

No specific laws.

The Bahamas

description

*The Ministry of Transport & Aviation requires all persons wishing to import drones into The Bahamas to first obtain a Certificate of Registration from the Civil Aviation Department, in order for the Customs Department to release the unmanned aircraft system to the owner. Drones weighing over 55kg (110lbs) have special requirements, similar to those of commercial drones.

*Drone pilots must not fly over persons who have not given their consent to the flight over them. Drone pilots must not fly over private property without prior permission. Drone pilots must avoid congested areas. Drones must be kept away from people at a minimum distance of 50 feet (~15 meters) laterally and 100 feet (~30 meters) vertically.

*Drones must be kept within a visual line of sight at all time and may not be flown when visibility is less than 1 mile (1.61km) or the base of the lowest clouds are 500 feet (152m). (Therefore drones must not be flown in foggy conditions.) Drones must be kept below 400 feet (121m) and only flown during the day.

*Drones must always give right of way to manned aircraft. Drones must remain 8km (4.97 miles) away from aerodromes. Drones are prohibited in Controlled airspace (Classes A, B, C, D, E, and F), danger areas (except for an area specifically designated for unmanned aircraft usage); prohibited areas; restricted areas; and wildlife protection areas.

Belize

description

*Drones may only be flown at a maximum height of 400 feet (121m). Drones may only be flown during daylight hours. Drones may not be flown over people.

Bermuda

description

*Drones should not be flown over congested areas, or within 50m (164ft) of people, vehicles, or buildings.

*Drones must be flown under under 400 feet (121 meters) and only on property you own or over property over which you have been given permission to fly. Pilots are responsible for considering the privacy of those who may be videoed or photographed. Pilots who wish to fly over government lands must first get permission by contacting: (441) 236 5902

*Drones must be kept within a visual line of sight.

British Virgin Islands

description

No specific laws.

Cayman Islands

description

*Drone pilots are legally responsible for the safe conduct of each flight.

*Before each flight check that your unmanned aircraft (hereafter: "drone") is undamaged and all components are working in accordance with the supplier's user manual.

*You might keep the drone within your sight at all times.

*You are responsible for avoiding collisions with other people or objects - including aircraft. Do not fly your drone in any way that could endanger people or property.

*It is illegal to fly your drone over a congested area. Also, stay three nautical miles from airports and one nautical mile from prisons.

*Do not fly your drone within 50m (164ft) of a person, vehicle, building or structure, or overhead groups of people at any height.

*Think about what you do with any images you obtain as you may breach privacy laws.

Costa Rica

description

*Drones may not be flown:

-In a restricted area (published in the AIP of Costa Rica), except with the permit and conditions established by the DGAC.

-In controlled airspace, except with the permit and the conditions established by the DGAC.

-Within a radius of 8km (4.9 miles) around an aerodrome, except with permission and conditions established by the DGAC. In such a way as to constitute an obstacle to other aircraft approaching or leaving a landing area or runway of an aerodrome.

-No person may operate an unmanned aircraft close enough to another aircraft, so that it may constitute a danger of collision.

*You can not operate above 400 feet (120 m) above ground level in the airspace, except with the permit and conditions DGAC.

*Air activities with unmanned aircraft by day and in visual meteorological conditions, the realization of night flights is subject to the approval and conditions of the DGAC.

* Drones must operate in areas outside agglomerations of buildings in towns, villages or places inhabited, people meeting outdoors, in airspace, except with the permit and conditions DGAC.

Colombia

description

*You cannot fly a drone weighing more than 25kg.

*You cannot fly a drone with metal propellers.

*The drone must have an autopilot, not to fly the drone but to assist the pilot when necessary, such as a return to home feature.

*The drone must have a GPS system.

*Your drone cannot create excess noise or disturbance.

*Your drone must be colored in such a way that makes it clearly visible. Your drone must also have your name and contact information somewhere on it.

*You cannot fly over congested areas, or over crowds of people.

*You cannot fly during bad weather.

*You cannot fly within 5km (2.7 miles) of an airport or fly within restricted airspace.

*You cannot fly higher than 500 feet (152 meters) or further than 1460 feet (500 meters) from the operator.

*You must take a private pilot class at an institution authorized by the Aeronautica Civil.

*You must have insurance that covers damage to third parties.

*You must establish communication with the nearest airport control tower before and during every flight

*You must file a flight plan with the aviation authority at least 15 working days prior to your intended flight date.

Cuba

description

Prohibited.

Dominica

description

No specific laws.

Dominican Republic

description

No specific laws.

Florida

description

*A person may not knowingly or willfully:

-Operate a drone over a critical infrastructure facility (e.g. power plants, chemical factories, mining facilities, natural gas station, aboveground oil and gas pipelines, wireless communications facilities, including the tower, antennae, support structures, and all associated ground- based equipment);

-Allow a drone to make contact with a critical infrastructure facility, including any person or object on the premises of or within the facility; or

-Allow a drone to come within a distance of a critical infrastructure facility that is close enough to interfere with the operations of or cause a disturbance to the facility.

French Guiana

description

No specific laws.

Grenada

description

Persons who wish to operate a UAV should apply to the police stating the reason.

Guadeloupe

description

*Do not fly over people. Avoid any gathering of people.

*The maximum flight height is 150 meters (492 feet).

*Only fly at a distance where your drone is easily visible to the naked eye and do not fly at night.

*Do not fly your drone over public spaces in urban areas. In urban areas it's possible to fly over a private space with a small drone and without public presence as long as its maximal speed and height are adapted to the surrounding environment (building, trees...).

*Do not use your drone near any aerodrome hosting airplanes, helicopters, gliders, ultralight aircraft, etc. Minimum distances must be respected and can reach 10km (6.2 miles) for important airfields.

*Never fly over sensitive areas or protected sites. Examples of such sites are: nuclear power plants, military zones, historical monuments, natural reserves, and national parks. Always inquire about the possible presence of such restricted sites before flying your drone.

*Always respect other people's privacy. The people around you or around your drone must be informed of what you're doing, especially if the drone is equipped with a camera or any other data recording sensor. You must answer their questions and respect their right to privacy. You must refrain from recording pictures or videos allowing recognition or identification of persons (faces, license plates...) without their permission.

*You must not broadcast aerial pictures or video without the consent of the concerned persons and not make commercial use out of it.

*You must check the terms of your insurance policy concerning this activity. You can be liable to damage caused to other aircraft, persons or properties. If you did not contact any specific insurance, you check the terms of your civil liability insurance policy.

*When in doubt, ask for more information.

Guyana

description

*Persons who operate drones and other Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) weighing more than 7kg (15 lbs) will have to apply to the Guyana Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) for permission to fly them.

*A person operating an unmanned aerial vehicle, weighing seven (7) kg or less, which is not being used for aerial work or any other commercial activity, and is not carrying any equipment capable of transmitting or receiving any information other than that required to control the vehicle in flight:

a) Shall not be required to obtain a permit to operate the vehicle, but shall comply with all other restrictions and limitations of these regulations; and

b) Shall not operate the vehicle beyond the visual range of the operator.

*Operators shall not fly:

-within an aerodrome traffic zone unless the permission of the GCAA and the applicable air traffic control unit is obtained;

-At a height of more than 150 meters above the terrain;

-At a distance greater than 500 meters from the point at which he is positioned;

-At night or in low visibility conditions;

-Over or near to private or public property without prior permission from the owner;

-In a reckless or unsafe manner;

Over any establishment or zone designated in a government notice as a prohibited area.

Guatemala

description

No specific laws.

Haiti

description

No specific laws.

Royal Caribbean might have their own rules on Labadee.

Jamaica

description

*Drones must be kept within a visual line of sight.

*Drones must not be flown above 400ft (121m) above the ground.

*Drones must be kept within 1640ft (500m) of the operator.

*Drones are forbidden from flying over or within 500ft (152m) of large crowds or within 165ft (20m) of a single person.

*Drones are prohibited from being flown over private or public property dwellings without permission.

*Airports and airfields are no-fly zones. Drones must not be flown within 16,500ft (5km) of any aerodrome or helipads.

*Drones should not be flown at night.

*Drone operators should be sure outdoor conditions are high visibility and clear of any obstructions.

*Drones must have a mechanism that will land the aircraft if it loses communication with the radio remote control.

Martinique

description

*Do not fly over people. Avoid any gathering of people.

*The maximum flight height is 150 meters (492 feet).

*Only fly at a distance where your drone is easily visible to the naked eye and do not fly at night.

*Do not fly your drone over public spaces in urban areas. In urban areas it's possible to fly over a private space with a small drone and without public presence as long as its maximal speed and height are adapted to the surrounding environment (building, trees...).

*Do not use your drone near any aerodrome hosting airplanes, helicopters, gliders, ultralight aircraft, etc. Minimum distances must be respected and can reach 10km (6.2 miles) for important airfields.

*Never fly over sensitive areas or protected sites. Examples of such sites are: nuclear power plants, military zones, historical monuments, natural reserves, and national parks. Always inquire about the possible presence of such restricted sites before flying your drone.

*Always respect other people's privacy. The people around you or around your drone must be informed of what you're doing, especially if the drone is equipped with a camera or any other data recording sensor. You must answer their questions and respect their right to privacy. You must refrain from recording pictures or videos allowing recognition or identification of persons (faces, license plates...) without their permission.

*You must not broadcast aerial pictures or video without the consent of the concerned persons and not make commercial use out of it.

*You must check the terms of your insurance policy concerning this activity. You can be liable to damage caused to other aircraft, persons or properties. If you did not contact any specific insurance, you check the terms of your civil liability insurance policy.

*When in doubt, ask for more information.

Mexico

description

Restricted for foreigners. (Little enforcement.)

Montserrat

description

No specific laws.

Nicaraguadescription

Import prohibited without prior permission.

Panama

description

*Authorization must first be obtained before flying a drone. The form can be obtained here: (http://www.aeronautica.gob.pa/seguridad_aerea_nacional/index.php?c=seguridad_aerea_drone)

Puerto Rico

description

(Same as the United States):

*Drones must not be flown within 5 miles (8km) from airports without prior notification to airport and air traffic control.

*Drones must ALWAYS yield right of way to manned aircraft.

*Drone operators must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight).

*Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

-Fly at or below 400 feet (121m) and stay away from surrounding obstacles

-Military bases

-Keep your UAS within sight

-Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports

-Never fly over groups of people

-Never fly over stadiums or sports events (3 mile/4.8km minimum distance)

-Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires

-Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol

-Understand airspace restrictions and requirements

*Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (25kg), (including any attachments such as a camera).

*B4UFLY is an easy-to-use smartphone app that helps unmanned aircraft operators determine whether there are any restrictions or requirements in effect at the location where they want to fly. (iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/b4ufly/id992427109?ls=1&mt=8 / Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gov.faa.b4ufly2)

Saint Kitts and Nevis

description

No specific laws.

Saint Lucia

description

No specific laws.

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

description

No specific laws.

Trinidad and Tobago

description

*Drones must be registered with the Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority (TTCAA).

*Drones should not be operated in any open air function or mass public gathering.

*Drones should not be flown at a height greater than 121 meters or 400 feet above the ground.

*Drones should not be operated in a manner that may endanger persons or property.

*Drones should not be operated within 5 kilometers (3.1 miles) from any manned aircraft operations including the boundary of the Piarco International and ANR Robinson International Airports.

Turks and Caicos Islands

description

*You are legally responsible for each flight.

*It is illegal to fly your drone over a congested area (streets, towns, cities). Also, stay well clear of airports and airfields.

*Before each flight check that your unmanned aircraft is not damaged, and that all components are working in accordance with the Supplier's User Manual.

*Don't fly your unmanned aircraft within 50m (164ft) of a person, vehicle, building or structure, or overhead groups of people at any height.

*You must keep your drone within your sight at all times.

*Think about what you do with any images you obtain as you may breach privacy laws. Details are available from the Information Commissioner's Office.

*You are responsible for avoiding collisions with other people or objects - including aircraft. Do not fly your drone in any way that could endanger people or property.

U.S. Virgin Islands

description

(Same as the United States):

*Drones must not be flown within 5 miles (8km) from airports without prior notification to airport and air traffic control.

*Drones must ALWAYS yield right of way to manned aircraft.

*Drone operators must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight).

*Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

-Fly at or below 400 feet (121m) and stay away from surrounding obstacles

-Military bases

-Keep your UAS within sight

-Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports

-Never fly over groups of people

-Never fly over stadiums or sports events (3 mile/4.8km minimum distance)

-Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires

-Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol

-Understand airspace restrictions and requirements

*Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (25kg), (including any attachments such as a camera).

*B4UFLY is an easy-to-use smartphone app that helps unmanned aircraft operators determine whether there are any restrictions or requirements in effect at the location where they want to fly. (iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/b4ufly/id992427109?ls=1&mt=8 / Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gov.faa.b4ufly2)

Venezuela

description

Prohibited without a permit.

https://petapixel.com/2017/09/20/heres-map-date-drone-laws-every-country/