NCL P.R. nightmare

Njkrewzer

I'm not one to attack businesses, as it is so common to do anymore. However, this one would highly frustrate me. If there was an advance heads-up and a discounted fare, then it's fair game. To unknowingly let everyone enter a ship that is heavily under construction isn't the best move.

so we have no protection in our upcoming cruise? short from cancelling. there is nothing we can do?

Doesn’t look like it.

If you don’t feel a company is trustworthy and will not do the right thing then you are probably better off looking elsewhere

Have a lovely vacation!

This incident hurts cruising across the board, not just NCL. New people who have never cruised before that cruise companies are trying to get them cruising see this and will never cruise.

Total self inflicted wound by corporate goons at NCL.

Yet still they still don't man up to an outrageous mistake.

All cruise lines are hurt by this idiocy.

$$$$$$$$$$ before customer safety and customer satisfaction.

Good luck with that ;)

From Newsweek: Way to go FDR. The photos of blocked muster stations may finally be your downfall

http://www.newsweek.com/nightmare-norwegian-cruise-was-floating-construction-site-871627

Edited by david_sobe

I'm not one to attack businesses, as it is so common to do anymore. However, this one would highly frustrate me. If there was an advance heads-up and a discounted fare, then it's fair game. To unknowingly let everyone enter a ship that is heavily under construction isn't the best move.

I have to agree with Joebucks on this one (and I am an NCL fan). They seemed to have really blown it. An advance heads-up with a discounted fare would have saved them a lot of bad PR grief. VERY poor corporate judgement.

The 25% discount towards a future cruise is a slap in the face of the customers on that fiasco cruise.

We almost booked a cruise on NCL last year for this April, but after reading reviews and ratings, we decided no way. We'll stick with Celebrity.

Its on Dutch news so thats not good. They pushed it too far people didn't mind some work on TA's or repo cruises (did 6 in 3 years) and they felt well maybe we can save 1 or 2 dry-dock days and role it on the last cruise guests. The only response they could make to this was say sorry, we will pay 100% back and it won't happen again. Instead they gave out a statement trying to sell it as a feature first (talking about their egde program) and only then gave a partly 25% discount on next trip ... bad PR stupid move and you will pay for it in press now. And they did so well last year with the storms all gone now... Better fix this soon and promise not todo it again. Ill stay with NCL for now since all of them are trying to see how to push it as far as they can and i assume this clear signal 'we won't accept this' will make them and others think for a while... If anything that happened the last few days confuses NCL HQ then they don't understand our new media landscape and how stories like this can now be picked up and bite you hard.

I feel sorry for the crew on that and the other ships someone at HQ pushing it to far to impress shareholders also for them a clear signal from HQ taking the blame will help them.

Daniel.

I think they could still save it if they offered passengers a refund (not a credit) and wrote up a new policy guaranteeing that nothing like this will happen again. Short of that, I think they stand to lose a lot of current and future customers. I will stick with them for now, in the hopes that this has taught them the error of their ways, but I will definitely be careful in booking trips around ships' dry dock dates if I can help it!

I think they could still save it if they offered passengers a refund (not a credit) and wrote up a new policy guaranteeing that nothing like this will happen again. Short of that, I think they stand to lose a lot of current and future customers. I will stick with them for now, in the hopes that this has taught them the error of their ways, but I will definitely be careful in booking trips around ships' dry dock dates if I can help it!

Yep. like it or hate it you don't want to be on the wrong side of a media storm in 2018. Media aiming for clickbate will jump in and run with it.

I do hope many people will also understand that part 99% of people working for ncl are probably also very upset now and waiting for a clear signal from above to help them too....

On the positive side i fully assume my next trip on the Jade in July will have no building going on as a result of this blunder :)

Daniel.

Fortunately for NCL and unfortunately for the passenger, this will be forgotten in a few weeks. Do you hear anything about the Breakaway December 29th-Janury 5th cruise that was all over the media, with people saying NCL almost killed them? No you aren't, because the media has short memories (as do those watching these reports and future customers) and only reports current issues. Those from the Breakaway have contacted lawyers, but I would guess their outcome will be just like some other previous suits where passengers got very little back and the lawyers got a lot more.

They certainly lost us. Just this week we were looking at an 11 day cruise in the fall. Then we saw the article and pictures. The first photos I saw were bad enough, then I got to the ones that appear to show muster stations roped off and obstructed with equipment. That's an absolute "no" for me; there are plenty of other cruise lines that don't risk passenger safety solely to improve their bottom line.

I may be in the minority, but while I think what NCL did with the Sun is reprehensible and should be rectified with full refund compensation plus some....I wouldn't let this stop me from sailing NCL. I simply would make sure I am on a ship that isn't headed for or from dry dock near my travel dates. Just my personal opinion.

I may be in the minority, but while I think what NCL did with the Sun is reprehensible and should be rectified with full refund compensation plus some....I wouldn't let this stop me from sailing NCL. I simply would make sure I am on a ship that isn't headed for or from dry dock near my travel dates. Just my personal opinion.

Would that have helped in this case? I don't think so. It was a well- concealed construction at sea, not an announced dry dock. All the more despicable.

I have to agree with you. This is AWFUL. I am NOT on this ship at all, but to see pictures of what people have been posting about. This is horrendous and horrific. I would have a terrible time breathing with all that dust / dirt / metal filings in the dust.

IMHO, from the standpoint of spinning the negative news around & damage control, a better response would've been a simple apology like what Mark Z. did with Facebook, admit to their mistakes with a pledge to move forward and "fix" the oversight ... yada yada.

NCL's written statement and response, is, not acceptable and as many already commented, 100% concurred, slap in the face.

I recognize that some/many here on CC are fans, supporters and like the NCL products in general, so many only sail in Haven; and, probably a good many invested and own tiny shares of NCLH stocks, which are 93% institutional owned. This incident is not one of the those that warrant nor justify waiving the pom poms, sorry. Take a good look at those video clips, pictures, imagine if you're on that cruise for 15 days, it might just tilt your mindset a little bit to say ... hey, wait a minute, this isn't right.

This isn't fake news, period. I'm done with my response, ignore the apologist. It might be still in compliance with SOLAS but surely, maybe the USCG could've been called to board & do an inspection when it docked at San Pedro, CA ... wait, never mind, too late then for the passengers & they probably stored & boarded up everything again, unlike being on high seas.

I think they really dropped the ball on this one ....We were on a Transatlantic cruise on the Getaway that ended up missing most of the ports ...lots of people were upset ....but many of the things that happened could not have been helped ....but they did not just happen to have construction crew on this ship...they knew they were going to do work on a cruise that people were holidaying on ....just not fair ...

They pushed it too far people didn't mind some work on TA's or repo cruises (did 6 in 3 years) and they felt well maybe we can save 1 or 2 dry-dock days and role it on the last cruise guests.

Is there usually a bit of work on TAs? I’m on the inaugural of the Bliss in a few weeks, and have to admit that I’m concerned it won’t be complete before our sailing.

There have been a lot of weirdness with the pricing for the past two months, prices going sky high for even the lowest level of cabins, before dropping back to reasonable levels. After that it would show as being sold out one day, before showing several hundred available cabins the next, and then a day after that disappearing from the booking engine entirely. It just feels like the ship is going to be 1/3rd empty, and NCL not trying to fill it. I’m just worrying that they will be finishing up the last bit, while we are crossing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums