NCL P.R. nightmare

Njkrewzer

All of this financial shenanigans landing at the feet of the customer can all be tracked right back to Frank Del Rio and his shady ways.. Period

I agree. I'm sure NCL is banking on the fact that most people have short memories and this to shall pass. Think Carnival Triumph's "poop cruise" Costa Concordia tragedy etc I certainly miss Kevin 0'Sheenhan

IMHO, from the standpoint of spinning the negative news around & damage control, a better response would've been a simple apology like what Mark Z. did with Facebook, admit to their mistakes with a pledge to move forward and "fix" the oversight ... yada yada.

NCL's written statement and response, is, not acceptable and as many already commented, 100% concurred, slap in the face.

I recognize that some/many here on CC are fans, supporters and like the NCL products in general, so many only sail in Haven; and, probably a good many invested and own tiny shares of NCLH stocks, which are 93% institutional owned. This incident is not one of the those that warrant nor justify waiving the pom poms, sorry. Take a good look at those video clips, pictures, imagine if you're on that cruise for 15 days, it might just tilt your mindset a little bit to say ... hey, wait a minute, this isn't right.

This isn't fake news, period. I'm done with my response, ignore the apologist. It might be still in compliance with SOLAS but surely, maybe the USCG could've been called to board & do an inspection when it docked at San Pedro, CA ... wait, never mind, too late then for the passengers & they probably stored & boarded up everything again, unlike being on high seas.

At the close of the Stock Market, Norwegian stock was up while other cruise ship companies were holding steady.

Have you not read the 10 other closed threads on the topic. Old news.

If you read my original post, that was exactly my point. It was all over the cruisecritic boards, which I anticipated, as this is THE place for all things cruise related. I was simply surprised that it made it to main stream media as big as the NY Post

Bad enough that this happened on any cruise and totally inexcusable. It's even worse that it was on a longer more expensive Panama Canal cruise. One that I'm sure many had on a bucket list and had to save a long time for. I'm sailing the Bliss for 15 next March and this certainly does open one's eyes and would and should upset everyone.

I agree. I'm sure NCL is banking on the fact that most people have short memories and this to shall pass. Think Carnival Triumph's "poop cruise" Costa Concordia tragedy etc I certainly miss Kevin 0'Sheenhan

I do not miss Kevin at all. His lawsuit against Norwegian and that of his predecessor were both dismissed without merit. Kevin broke his agreement with Norwegian by attempting to purchase Bahama Paradise Cruise WITHOUT disclosing to his potential partners that he was barred from being in the cruise industry. His potential partners, sued won and purchased without him

I was seeing the most outrageous thing on youtube. Passengers on the Sun reported that one bar on ship was closed down to public and became a "Construction supervisor/safety office."

WTH

This ship was a floating construction site and the saddest part is NCL still wont admit that.

Edited by david_sobe

That this made evening news, I fear for anyone hoping for this cruise to be a long term news item, I don't think it will be. I wish your 'compensation' was better than what was offered, however. I have said that on one other thread.

It really stinks this was the atmosphere on board.

Edited by MizDemeanor

LOL - it is nice to see the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Our first cruise on NCL Starward was in 1978. We boarded to find that the bottom three passenger decks were closed as those decks were being completely redesigned with the deletion of public areas and the cramming of more passenger cabins into the decks. Construction started each day at 8 AM and lasted until 6PM.

Our "new" cabin that we were reassigned to was unfinished with coiled wires for the planned installation of radios (big news in 1978) and additional light features.

Because of the onboard construction and other onboard experiences, it took us 25 years to try NCL againto see if the line had improved. It hadn't.

I was seeing the most outrageous thing on youtube. Passengers on the Sun reported that one bar on ship was closed down to public and became a "Construction supervisor/safety office."

WTH

This ship was a floating construction site and the saddest part is NCL still wont admit that.

It was reported the captain was hired only days before the cruise. If true, its a very sad fact. Wonder if the previous captain quit or refused to cruise with the construction site thus NCL was forced to hire an outside captain.

If true, just WOW

WRONG!!! Captain Grbic is a very experienced Norwegian Captain. He had been on vacation in his home in Croatia and BOARDED The Sun in Miami shortly before passengers boarded. This is however Captain Grbic 1st contract as Captain and Master of The Sun. He has previously been Captain on The Dawn and Staff Captain on The Sun.

I do not miss Kevin at all. His lawsuit against Norwegian and that of his predecessor were both dismissed without merit. Kevin broke his agreement with Norwegian by attempting to purchase Bahama Paradise Cruise WITHOUT disclosing to his potential partners that he was barred from being in the cruise industry. His potential partners, sued won and purchased without him

So is it same to assume you think FDR is doing a better job running NCLH then Kevin Sheehan did ?

Is there usually a bit of work on TAs? I’m on the inaugural of the Bliss in a few weeks, and have to admit that I’m concerned it won’t be complete before our sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pricing is a whole new topic :), But the feeling i got that on moving to a new area they did do some small stuff along the way even to the point of closing some small things, i have seen slides closed, parts of the walking area, the main pool for a day to 'redo' the NCL logo (oct2017) on the bottom (here is a photo crew has pride in their work ! ) :

NCL Getaway crew pride in adding logo in the pool

I was already thinking, closing things on paid cruises for redoing the logo is on the edge and i guess they now clearly pushed it too far.

On my trips it never really impacted me or from what i have seen many around me but its kinda weird you paid for the pool and redoing things like this should not be on 'guests' time. We see the same at hotels these days you simply are not getting what you paid for. And clearly someone at HQ figured well lets push it a little further.

Just to be clear i am 99.9% sure your cruise will be fine as i suspect mine in Jul to be fine but they made a mistake on the sun and now have to walk it back and that is a good thing.

Daniel.

Our "new" cabin that we were reassigned to was unfinished with coiled wires for the planned installation of radios (big news in 1978) and additional light features.

Please tell me next to the radio's it also had hooks for the planned disco balls ? I wonder what the design ideas at the time where like the colors, the disco balls .. must have been a show :)

Daniel.

Darn, I keep watching for the stock price to fall so I can buy 100 shares before my next 2 cruises. Only minor movement so far...

you have to be super duper quick. the other day prices drop to around 51.50 for like 5 minutes then it shot back up again to over 52. since then, it is has steadily increased

Please tell me next to the radio's it also had hooks for the planned disco balls ? I wonder what the design ideas at the time where like the colors, the disco balls .. must have been a show :)

Daniel.

The cabin decor was right in fashion with bright orange and yellow colors. No disco ball.

Have you not read the 10 other closed threads on the topic. Old news.

Are you saying that current headlines on FOX NEWS and other media is "old news?" Is your loyalty impregnable? For NCL, this falls into the category of "unforced errors." Compensate appropriately in a timely basis to avoid bad PR.

Fortunately for NCL and unfortunately for the passenger, this will be forgotten in a few weeks. Do you hear anything about the Breakaway December 29th-Janury 5th cruise that was all over the media, with people saying NCL almost killed them? No you aren't, because the media has short memories (as do those watching these reports and future customers) and only reports current issues. Those from the Breakaway have contacted lawyers, but I would guess their outcome will be just like some other previous suits where passengers got very little back and the lawyers got a lot more.

Won't be forgotten by me! I simply wouldn't trust them after this story. Next time I'm looking for a cruise, NCL won't be included in the search.

Won't be forgotten by me! I simply wouldn't trust them after this story. Next time I'm looking for a cruise, NCL won't be included in the search.
I also cruise on Celebrity and can recommend them highly, also Crystal.

Hopefully you find a cruise line that meets your expectations.

I may be in the minority, but while I think what NCL did with the Sun is reprehensible and should be rectified with full refund compensation plus some....I wouldn't let this stop me from sailing NCL. I simply would make sure I am on a ship that isn't headed for or from dry dock near my travel dates. Just my personal opinion.

Do not cruise the Jewel headed from Japan into Singapore this October. We rescheduled until next March. You have been warned.

Do not cruise the Jewel headed from Japan into Singapore this October. We rescheduled until next March. You have been warned.

I am actually booked on the Jewel for the repo, one of the best itineraries I have ever seen, at least for me.

Hopefully NCL learned something from this. Otherwise I'll just enjoy the ports even more...