Sagrada Familia questions, Hop on Hop off bus times, which tour etc.

azzy73

We are in Barcelona on a Sunday off of the Sky Princess from 5am-10pm (new passengers coming aboard) in Oct.

We plan on getting there as earliest as possible as it is a Sunday it might be extra busy.  I have been there before (beautiful) but my cabin mate has not.

Is it better to take a taxi to the Sagrada Familia and then taking the HOHO from there?

The www.hop-hop-off-bus.com has a combination ticket for the Sagrada Familia (timed tickets) and the HOHO that you can pay in your own currency.

If I order direct from Sagrada Familia, I can get the ticket with audio.

Is is better to purchase in advance the HOHO or wait until there?

We also plan on getting tickets for Park Guell and taking the HOHO there.

On 4/26/2018 at 6:48 AM, diane.in.ny said:

And price wise, the best way to do this, is to get a T10 ticket (two people can share one ticket). You can buy them at 'tobacco' shops. Don't know if you can buy it at the metro station. We used buses during our visit.

One can buy the T10 ticket at the station at the foot of Las Rambla.  We did this as part of a group from our CruiseCritic roll call during our port stop in November.  One ticket was sufficient for all 10 of us.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 3:48 AM, diane.in.ny said:

For those wondering what to do if they get to the church early, you can easily spend 30-60 minutes just admiring it from the outside. It is amazing.

For the OP who has already bought their HOHO tickets, do you know what time the earliest bus comes by the pier? I would suggest getting tickets for 1.5 hrs after that. This gives you time to get to the SF and spend time wandering the outside before your tour.

For others, you can grab the metro at the foot of Las Ramblas

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/cruise-port/map-of-barcelona-port.html

Change trains at Diagonal

http://www.publictransport.barcelona/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/metrobarcelona_networkmap.pdf

And price wise, the best way to do this, is to get a T10 ticket (two people can share one ticket). You can buy them at 'tobacco' shops. Don't know if you can buy it at the metro station. We used buses during our visit.

You can buy the the metro station at the same machine as buying single tickets. It gives you a choice of all its offerings including day passes. https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Mirador+de+Colón,+Plaça+Portal+de+la+pau,+Barcelona,+Spain/Sagrada+Familia,+Carrer+de+Mallorca,+Barcelona,+Spain/@41.3895053,2.1697801,14z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x12a4a256d7bd004b:0x2adc0acddfeb6cb7!1m2!1m1!1s0x12a4a2dcd83dfb93:0x9bd8aac21bc3c950!3e3

• Like 1

Yew booked our guided tour directly with La Sagrada Familia. Tour was excellent. We took the Metro to the church. It was very cost effective. We did a 5:30 PM tour which was magical with the low afternoon light (mid Oct) coming through the orange/red stained glass windows. The east windows are blue/green stained glass. After the tour, we walked around the church for 45 minutes on our own. Metro was 4.40€ pp roundtrip from our Hotel Lleo. 

Thank you for posting about this!

We sail in August and this is my very first trip to Europe! I feel I am very overwhelmed by trying to plan and make sure I am "in the know" for everything I need to do.

We are staying at Arc La Rambla and arrive on Thursday at noon. Our cruise departs Saturday.  We have contacted Barcelona Day Tours for a tour on Friday but haven't put the deposit down yet.  While they take you to La Sagrada Familia, they don't take you inside.  Our hotel does offer lockers so my plan is to use the lockers on Saturday morning and tour the inside and the towers on Saturday before heading to the port to board the cruise. For those who have gone before, what time do you recommend we go and do you think this will allow us enough time to visit the site and get to the port in a decent time? I usually arrive early to board but definitely wouldn't mind arriving later to enjoy more time in Barcelona.

Since it's the top attraction in Barcelona, why not go as soon as they open?  9am.  It will be a more enjoyable experience if you're not fighting crowds.

Depending on traffic a cab ride from your hotel to the pier is only 15-20  minutes, so you have plenty of time to tour and do the towers.  

Personally we don't plan to board our ship until 2 or 3pm .... hopefully this will allow us to miss the long lines. Plus we want to enjoy our time Barcelona. 

15 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Since it's the top attraction in Barcelona, why not go as soon as they open?  9am.  It will be a more enjoyable experience if you're not fighting crowds.

Depending on traffic a cab ride from your hotel to the pier is only 15-20  minutes, so you have plenty of time to tour and do the towers.  

Personally we don't plan to board our ship until 2 or 3pm .... hopefully this will allow us to miss the long lines. Plus we want to enjoy our time Barcelona. 

We had the first timed ticket and Sagrada Fam and it was great being inside before it was packed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cansas.piligrim said:

we purchased tickets including audio guide on Sagrada Familia site. We used a green HOHO bus to SF and other Gaudi's buildings https://barcelona.city-tour.com/en/tourist-bus-routes-barcelona

Did you use the HOHO from the dock area?

Did purchase the HOHO in advance or wait until you got there?

Was it easy to locate the HOHO stops?

On 1/18/2019 at 10:42 AM, lamchops said:

I will be staying at the NH Contanza, so can I buy the T10 at the station near the hotel? Also, can it be used on any route? Sorry I am new to this...

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

the metro web site has all the info you need, and maps:

https://www.tmb.cat/en/barcelona-fares-metro-bus

So according to what I read on the website the T10 card can be bought at any station. I should be able to buy it at Le Court station near my hotel. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2 hours ago, NayaSantaFe said:

So according to what I read on the website the T10 card can be bought at any station. I should be able to buy it at Le Court station near my hotel. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The web sites all say "any station' so I'm taking them at their word .  I too plan to buy my T10 card at a metro station.

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-metro.html

11 hours ago, NayaSantaFe said:

I will be staying at the NH Contanza, so can I buy the T10 at the station near the hotel? Also, can it be used on any route? Sorry I am new to this...

11 hours ago, NayaSantaFe said:

the closest metro station to your hotel is Entenca and you should be able to buy it there from a machine.

the L5 train will take you to Sagrada Familia in 17 minutes 

Edited by lamchops

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 4:08 PM, phabric said:

Thanks for all the information and detailed notes.

I think we will take a taxi to get to Sagrada Familia to have an early ticket then purchase the HOHO ticket to see the city.

Were there taxi when you exited the ship? Or did you have take the cruise shuttle to exit the port area then get a taxi?

We will be in Barcelona on a cruise from 8am to 8 pm. How did it work out for you taking a taxi to Sagrada Familia and then purchasing the HOHO tickets. I want to see as much of Antoni Gaud that I can and the rest of Barcelona. 

Do you know which route is best to see the architecture. Did you have time to take the other route as well? Any other tipes and suggestions are appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:

We will be in Barcelona on a cruise from 8am to 8 pm. How did it work out for you taking a taxi to Sagrada Familia and then purchasing the HOHO tickets. I want to see as much of Antoni Gaud that I can and the rest of Barcelona. 

Do you know which route is best to see the architecture. Did you have time to take the other route as well? Any other tipes and suggestions are appreciated. 

We do not go until Oct.

• 4 months later...
25 minutes ago, Orlando Vic said:

Any thoughts about visiting Sagrada Familia with a mobility impairment?

Specifically, I am wondering if they possibly have wheelchairs for use by visitors?

Go to www.sagradafamilia.org under FAQ they mention Wheelchairs and Entrance for the Disabled.

Edited by phabric

On 1/18/2019 at 2:11 PM, WallyNDiane said:

Yew booked our guided tour directly with La Sagrada Familia. Tour was excellent. 

I have visited before with the audio ticket and my friend has not visited.

When I visited Westminster Abbey in London, I took a guided tour with a member of the Abbey.  We visited places inside the Abbey non guided people did not visited.

Did your guided tour visit places that non guided did not visit?

They gave you audio to hear guide?

After the tour, can you use the audio and go around and listen to the spots?

46 minutes ago, phabric said:

I have visited before with the audio ticket and my friend has not visited.

When I visited Westminster Abbey in London, I took a guided tour with a member of the Abbey.  We visited places inside the Abbey non guided people did not visited.

Did your guided tour visit places that non guided did not visit?

After the tour, can you use the audio and go around and listen to the spots?

I don't know any of answers to your questions. We did only the guided tour and I didn't pay attention to others with audio guides. I must say that there were people around us in every stop that were not in our tour group, so I doubt we went to any "secret" spot. You may want to contact the church via email with your questions. It was nice to ask our tour guide questions. She was very knowledgeable and articulate. I thought that asking questions was a large benefit of the guided tour. Our tour guide invited everyone in our tour to revisit on our own any location we wanted to see again. We were not pressured to leave the church. Good luck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phabric said:

Did your guided tour visit places that non guided did not visit?  I don’t believe so. 

they gave us an earpiece to be able to hear the person who is serving as your guide. There is not a recorded guide like there is with the audio tour 

After the tour, can you use the audio and go around and listen to the spots?  They collect the earpiece at the conclusion of your tour  but you are free to stay inside the fence of the basilica as long as you want and revisit places the guide took you or places they don’t  Our guide pointed out the Sacristy entrance and suggested we visit but it wasn’t part of the tour.  Similarly with the school onsite for the workers. 

On 7/8/2019 at 4:33 PM, phabric said:

Go to www.sagradafamilia.org under FAQ they mention Wheelchairs and Entrance for the Disabled.

Thanks for the tip. That website also mentioned a big discount for disabled people (65%+) and one companion.