Connecting cabins

Midfield13

Has anyone stayed in one?

My concern is the noise level.

Can we hear the TV? Cruise mates talking? etc......

It’s a BB category cabin on the Caribbean.

Thank you for your input.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my experience, connecting rooms can be just a noisy as non-connecting ones. Or not. It really just depends on who your neighbors are and how loud they are.

The wall between rooms is pretty thin (think motel room wall). The connecting door has two doors on it. Sometimes the door(s) could be a better noise barrier than the wall.

Edited by Shmoo here

I would go with the connecting room being a higher chance of noise issues. Now you might like the noise you hear; they might inspire you.

But... a blaring TV can be heard in the adjoining stateroom and in the hallway. :hearteyes:

We had a connecting cabin on Royal Princess and could hear the passengers next door talking if you were close to the door but it wasn't loud and not really a problem for us.

There was probably more noise heard from the hallway.

First of all, let me say that I am sensitive to noise, so this is only my opinion and maybe this is just me.

But, from past Princess experience (and other cruise lines and hotels in general), I will never ever get a connecting room again.

It doesn't matter if there are 2 doors instead of 1. That does not block out the noise. There is something about the space under those doors, I think. But, you can hear tvs, talking, sneezing, crying babies, etc. Even a towel but under the door or between the doors does not help.

If you are not sensitive to noise, it may not be a problem. Go with your gut, if it is telling you there may be a problem, find a different cabin.

We were in a mini suite on the Royal with a connecting door that was installed after the original build. We could clearly hear our neighbors and they didn't seem to be talking loudly. We mentioned it to our room steward who apparently had heard complaints previously. He brought us extra towels to stuff under the door which helped somewhat. But our lesson learned was to avoid connecting cabins when planning future cruises.

On one cruise - without a connecting cabin - we were woken many mornings around 6:00 AM by The Wake Show. Our next door neighbor played the TV at an amazingly loud volume. I realize we should have complained but didn't do so.

We were in a mini suite on the Royal with a connecting door that was installed after the original build. We could clearly hear our neighbors and they didn't seem to be talking loudly. We mentioned it to our room steward who apparently had heard complaints previously. He brought us extra towels to stuff under the door which helped somewhat. But our lesson learned was to avoid connecting cabins when planning future cruises.

I am with you ... I've had enough connecting cabins to know I don't ever want one again. I avoid them like the plague now.

Of note, they do have a very interesting way of making connecting cabins on the Celebrity S-class ships. Their design makes all the difference in the world. Each cabin door is in a small alcove that contains two cabin doors situated next to one another. For the connecting cabins, there is a double door that can close off the alcove from the hallway and the two connecting cabins can leave their individual doors open. When connecting cabins are booked by separate parties, the main doors stay open and operate like any other cabin. Bingo ... problem solved. I've not seen a Princess ship use this design, though.