Gala night events?

LMaxwell

Okay, guilty of side-tracking this thread...

Back to the original topic. Gala/Formal Night events.

You know, it seems that the numbers of cruisers who appreciate having that 'FORMAL' night are fewer in number.

But, I also see that, for many, this IS actually something that they do appreciate about cruising.

I am thinking that instead of watering-down and diluting the whole idea, which really IMHO does not serve either group well. (As the ongoing debates would indicate). Maybe the cruise lines should think outside of the box, and instead of having a ship-wide, but non mandatory Formal Night, they come up with separate venues/events focused on a truly (semi)formal evening for those who would appreciate this. I could see many options for this, if one wanted to get creative and think outside of the box.

I like this idea, but HAL doesn't have a lot of space to make it happen. I suppose they could declare the Pinnacle and a music venue, maybe Lincoln Center, formal venues for a night or two, but I don't see it happening. Once an area is declared to be part of the formal experience, it will require enforcement of the dress code, and the cruise lines are reluctant to do that. Someone will say "I don't want to have to dress up to hear Lincoln Center," and the cruise line will give in.

I am thinking that instead of watering-down and diluting the whole idea, which really IMHO does not serve either group well. (As the ongoing debates would indicate).
I read the debates differently. I think there are a small number of people upset that things aren't more formal, a very large majority of people happy with the balance that the cruise line has struck, and then a small number of people upset that they even have to wear a collared shirt two nights out of seven. The people in the middle don't have much incentive to get involved in the "debates" because, effectively, they've won.

I read the debates differently. I think there are a small number of people upset that things aren't more formal, a very large majority of people happy with the balance that the cruise line has struck, and then a small number of people upset that they even have to wear a collared shirt two nights out of seven. The people in the middle don't have much incentive to get involved in the "debates" because, effectively, they've won.

So you have 8 posts out of 52 in this thread. That is a bit over 15% of ALL the posts. I would call that fairly involved.

So which side are you on since people in the middle have no incentive in the debate?

Good analysis.

... people in the middle have no incentive in the debate?
You misread what I wrote.

Good analysis.
Thanks. I think we can say the same thing about just about every debate where there are two sides among the passengers and the cruise line is in the middle.

There are really four categories of cruise lines, as most reviewers see it:

Budget Mass Market (Carnival, NCL, for example)

Better Mass Market (HAL, Princess, Celebrity)

Premium (Oceania, Azamara)

Luxury (Seabourn, Crystal, etc.)

Some I'm not sure how to place -- RCCL, MSC (maybe between Budget and Better Mass Market?) Cunard (between Better Mass Market and Premium?)

I dunno -- perhaps better to just say that there seems to be a spectrum with a line for just about everyone.

It seems, even the experts can't agree. If you Google cruise line classifications, there seems to be several variations and titles of these categories. One places Princess in the lower category with Carnival and NCL. Another places RCI and Viking Ocean together in the Upscale category. They're all over the place.

It seems, even the experts can't agree. If you Google cruise line classifications, there seems to be several variations and titles of these categories. One places Princess in the lower category with Carnival and NCL. Another places RCI and Viking Ocean together in the Upscale category. They're all over the place.

So true. And it gets more complicated all the time because so many of the cruise lines offer "ships within a ship" -- all kinds of upgraded categories with special restaurants, pools, etc. So it's really quite hard to compare apples with apples. But it's a very nice hobby trying to sort it all out and put them to the test. :)

Something for everybody.