Sea sickness on Alaska cruises?

TFC'sgrandma

We are taking HAL Volendam on an Inside Passage cruise in May. Are Alaska cruises known for having rough waters? Should we bring meds to combat sea sickness?

Welcome to Cruise Critic:

You should certainly bring it with you if you're concerned' date=' better to have it and not need it.[/b']

We have found our May Alaska inside passage cruises to be very smooth...at times it was like we were sailing on glass. Hope you'll experience the same.

You've chosen a good ship to minimize the risk. By cruising round trip out of Vancouver you avoid any problems that would be a risk were you leaving from Seattle and traveling up the West side of Vancouver Island, and/or crossing from the Gulf of Alaska.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Alaska cruises spend a lot of the time in the sheltered waters of the inside passage. If it is a Seattle round trip, that won't be the case on the first and last night's of the cruise. And if you go on a one way, the first or last day and night is crossing the Gulf of Alaska so that can be rougher (but wasn't bad on our cruise in August).

We have been fortunate to have taken many an Alaskan Cruise.

The good news is that the odds are in you favor of having less chance of rough seas.

However, with that said there could be moments where the sea swells increase and that the seas become bothersome. I am also reminded that what one person doesn't find bothersome someone else will.

I highly recommend to bring one or more items that will help to prevent nausea and I say this for any cruise and that includes this one.

Keith

We did two Alaska cruises. The first was Anchorage to Vancouver and the second was round-trip Seattle. I remember needed bonine ( motion sickness meds)going into Vancouver on the first cruise and going in and out of Seattle on the second . Definitely, bring medicine as seasickness will ruin your day. Bonine is 24 hours and causes less drowsiness that Dramamine. There are lots of remedies out there. Speak to your doctor about what’s best for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums