Memorable things that have happened to you on the ship because of the crew

excitedofharpenden

Ruby is so lovely, isn’t she? How kind is that?

Phil

I will never forget. Got on ship healthy and ended up with an ear infection or at least very blocked. The ENT was great. Ruby at first told me about the mall. Then a few days later said she was taking me. I was not even thinking she needed permission to do that. i met her daughter and several family members. I always liked Ruby but now i feel like a have a daughter and more in another country. i was seriously much better 48 hours later. I always now make sure i have clothes for her granddaughter when i get on a ship.

We have only been on one Azamara cruise on the Journey way back in November 2009 (our second on Journey is scheduled for this August). However, it was quite memorable.

Our first port was Sorrento where we had an overnight. The next morning my DH and I went to board the tender, planning to get the hydrofoil from Sorrento to Capri. From my research I knew the times of the hydrofoil departures, so I was a bit dismayed when we were held up at the tender boarding area. No one else was there to board except us. While waiting I asked the crew what time the next hydrofoil departure was. One of them made a call, and the information confirmed the time that I already knew. We were still kept waiting.... A bit anxious now, I asked them what the time of the NEXT departure was, knowing full well that it was more than an hour later (maybe 90 minutes). Again, a call was made. Then, suddenly we were told to board the tender. Still no one else around. Suddenly, I felt movement. I looked up to see Philip Herbert leaning off the tender ramp, waving and calling out "we don't want you to miss your ferry. Have a great day!" So off we went in the tender, just the 2 of us, and we did just manage to get our tickets and catch the hydrofoil. I've never forgotten that.

On that same cruise, we passed Stromboli at night and the captain maneuvered the ship for around 45 minutes in the dark in the waters around Stromboli so that we could get a good look at the glowing volcano from different points - magical. After Costa Concordia we often wondered if that would even be allowed now.

And finally, we, too, were scheduled to tender in Portofino. I wasn't looking forward to this port because almost all things in Portofino and Santa Margherita were scheduled to be closed at this time at the end of November, so there was not going to be much to do. When we awoke, we were told that due to the choppy seas, we could not tender so we were docking in Genoa. Buses were provided, a local guide came on to the bus to give us maps and a briefing - it turned out to be a great surprise and a wonderful day!

Tomasz is now 'hotel director' (if we are talking about the same officer) and I think he told us that he would be taking over from Philip when he (Philip) goes on vacation in April. He was 'acting hotel director' for a wee while a few months ago during which time he did very well apparently. It's great to see this sort of promotion working so well, and with Pursuit requiring staffing, there are lots of wonderful and well deserved promotions happening as we speak. Great stuff.

It's not the same one. This was a Scottish Thomas. Tomasz is excellent and I'm sure will make a really good Associate HD. That is what Ryszard used to be and he will now have his own ship.

I agree it's great to see promotions happening and I'm looking forward to seeing more deserving crew in new positions as the staffing unfolds.

Phil

What a lovely thread idea, Phil.

On our first Azamara cruise, on the Journey in 2010, we were attending the Chef’s Table. The officer who was hosting asked me if I had a favorite food and wine pairing. I said it was champagne and popcorn, because of the cold, crisp taste of the champagne and the warm salty taste of the popcorn. He said he had never heard of that, but was intrigued. The next day, there was a knock on our cabin door and we were presented with a cold bottle of champagnes, a bowl of hot, buttered popcorn and a note saying, “Thank you...you were right!”

Also on the Journey last summer, I arrived with a badly damaged suitcase. I asked Heike if I might get some duct tape to strap it together for the trip home. Instead, she whisked it away to the joiner, and two days later it was returned, perfectly repaired, at no charge.

However, what I will always cherish is that the staff and crew have truly become friends. When my husband died unexpectedly last year, I was overwhelmed by the phone calls, texts and messages and even flowers, from so many of them, from Captain Johannes to Heike to Lee and Alex and Sheldon and Jason, Virgilio, Mario, and so many more. And Eric DeGray truly saved my life with his constant love and support. This wasn’t marketing; it was truly caring, and I will be forever grateful.

Edited by hkr1216

In 2016, we were on the Quest on the maiden voyage to Australia barrier reef cruise and Australia New-zealand cruise. One day we had a a chat with Phillip, and he ask us where we are from (he probably notice our french accent) so we said Quebec City. He ask for my cabin number and the next day we had an invitation to lunch and spend some time onboard when the ship will dock at Quebec City next september. We accept the invitation, he was there at the gangway to welcome us back home. I could bring some maple syrup gifts to give to our favorite staff. Lots of good memories and we spent a lovely time onboard and a delicious lunch. Thank you Phillip.

Myself and my mum have always found the crew on Azamara to be the best. But our most memorable experience was meeting Wayan working in Mosaic on our first sailing on the Quest and his first time away from home in Bali. At the end of the cruise we exchanged addresses etc and kept in touch on a weekly basis. Wayan invited us to his wedding in Bali but unfortunately we were unable to attend. We plan our holidays on the Quest when we know Wayan will be onboard and have met up with him twice when the Quest has been docked in Liverpool when Azamara have kindly arranged for us to spend time with him on and off the ship.

When Wayan's son was born 4 years ago he asked us to name his baby(what an honour). We named him Ellis. We have since visited Wayan, his wife Budi, mum Made and Ellis and spent 3 days with them in their village in Bali. What a wonderful experience. They are now part of our family.

It will be our 10th sailing on the Quest in June this year when we will be once again be meeting Wayan.

This is a wonderful thread. When you read comparisons with other cruise lines and the person writes that they really enjoyed their cruise on another cruise line, but "something" was missing. This thread clearly demonstrates the "something special" about Azamara.

Whilst it is hard to measure, I hope Corporate Management values it.

I had caring and kindness shown to me on my sole cruise with Azamara, which I'll always remember.

Myself and my mum have always found the crew on Azamara to be the best. But our most memorable experience was meeting Wayan working in Mosaic on our first sailing on the Quest and his first time away from home in Bali. At the end of the cruise we exchanged addresses etc and kept in touch on a weekly basis. Wayan invited us to his wedding in Bali but unfortunately we were unable to attend. We plan our holidays on the Quest when we know Wayan will be onboard and have met up with him twice when the Quest has been docked in Liverpool when Azamara have kindly arranged for us to spend time with him on and off the ship.

When Wayan's son was born 4 years ago he asked us to name his baby(what an honour). We named him Ellis. We have since visited Wayan, his wife Budi, mum Made and Ellis and spent 3 days with them in their village in Bali. What a wonderful experience. They are now part of our family.

It will be our 10th sailing on the Quest in June this year when we will be once again be meeting Wayan.

are you sure he will be on quest in june. he was planning to start a restaurant, it will be so nice to see him again, Annelies

Here is a recent one, Ann (UKTOG), you may know a bit about this, and in reality, it may have been better posted on the Gin and Tonic thread.

We joined Journey in Sydney on March 7th and took some precautions of bringing on eight bottles of Schweppes tonic water just in case the dreaded Royal Club was being served. Royal Club was everywhere!

There was a bit of Schweppes on board, however, it was a bit like a treasure hunt to find it. At our first stop in Brisbane, we decided to gamble and not top up supplies of Schweppes.

We did have to use four of our bottles, that aside we managed a supply of Gordons and Schweppes throughout the cruise. (It wasn't easy until the last few days).

Anyway, about three days from the end of the cruise I got into a conversation with the Senior Bar Manager (whose name I unfortunately forget) I raised the issue of the lack of availability of Schweppes.

What I was told was "everyone complains about Royal Club tonic, but Miami don"t listen"

I was then asked for my room number to which I replied 7045, and we left on good terms.

By the time I got back to our room, there were two large tins of Schweppes waiting for me.

On returning after dinner there was a case of Schweppes waiting in our room!!

And, Ann that is how you ended up being very happy, (we left Ann our four unused bottles).

Absolutely beautiful! What a lovely experience that must have been 😍

I so appreciate this thread, Phil. Coming up on our first Azamara cruise in August, and between all of the negative entertainment reviews and the beefs about the changes to the cocktail lounges, etc, have been wondering if we'd made a mistake. These stories warm my heart.

I remember another time and it was probably my second or third cruise on Azamara. There was a guy called Dominic (no longer on Azamara) who used to keep the T-Pool area tidy. I'd chat to him quite often and he was such a nice young lad.

It was a port day and I was up by the T-Pool catching some rays. Just before lunchtime he comes over and asks what do I do for lunch. "Oh, my usual cheese and ham toastie from Windows, but it has to be unhealthy, toasted with a bit of butter on it to make it taste really good". He laughs. A quarter of an hour later he comes back over with a cheese and ham toastie with the butter and a big grin. He'd gone all the way from the front of the ship to the buffet at the back and returned with my lunch. Such a thoughtful thing to do. We are still friends on social media.

Phil

That reminds of the time my mother and I were on Quest a few years ago now. She hadn't been very well and her appetite was very poor. We were in Aqualina and the lovely waiter August was concerned because she was hardly eating anything. He asked her did she fancy anything that wasn't on the menu? She said Yes....I would like a boiled egg and soldiers please! He said No problem! Fifteen minutes later she had two perfectly boiled eggs and little bread soldiers, which she ate and enjoyed very much. He was so kind to take the trouble to do that and she always remembers it.

She also remembers Ryzhard carrying her up the gangway in his arms when she couldn't do it because she was ill. My mother is very small but he is a very strong man...,she fell in love with him that day!

Such (Az)amazing experiences!

We remember dining in Aqualina one night and really just could not manage the dessert!

Our waitress (Shinipa) said she would arrange for it to be delivered to our room.

Unfortunately our lovely room attendant (Juan) said that he had had an "accident" and it had been thrown away.

Nevertheless, he managed to find out what we had ordered and delivered it again the following night.

About a year or so later we were day guests on the ship at Greenwich and dining in Aqualina and Shinipa remembered our choice of dessert!

We were in Bordeaux and had arranged a special tour for 8 of us but we needed a cab to make the early high speed train connection. Richard assured us that it would not be a problem but the next morning there were no cabs to be found despite many calls by Richard. Finally he asked the people who had boarded the first shuttle bus to kindly get off since there was another shuttle on the way. He then told the bus driver to get us to the train station ASAP. You can only imagine the dirty looks that we got as we boarded, but we did make our train with several minutes to spare.

We were in Bordeaux and had arranged a special tour for 8 of us but we needed a cab to make the early high speed train connection. Richard assured us that it would not be a problem but the next morning there were no cabs to be found despite many calls by Richard. Finally he asked the people who had boarded the first shuttle bus to kindly get off since there was another shuttle on the way. He then told the bus driver to get us to the train station ASAP. You can only imagine the dirty looks that we got as we boarded, but we did make our train with several minutes to spare.

And another story about Ryszard.

We were docked in Ravenna and hoping to get the train to Bologna. The timing was tight and it didn't look as though the shuttle was departing any time soon.

Eventually my DH got off the shuttle and spoke to Ryszard as we thought we would have more chance if we took a taxi/cab. Ryszard checked the number of people on the shuttle and sent it off straight away. We managed to catch our train and had a wonderful day in Bologna.

I so appreciate this thread, Phil. Coming up on our first Azamara cruise in August, and between all of the negative entertainment reviews and the beefs about the changes to the cocktail lounges, etc, have been wondering if we'd made a mistake. These stories warm my heart.

I agree this thread was much needed, especially for us newbies. I've booked our first Azamara cruise for October: TA Lisbon to Miami and have been second guessing myself ever since, especially while following the entertainment threads. But that which tests us makes us stronger...and as long as I am sea I can be happy.

Thank you to all the regulars who have posted your stories.

Many cruises ago I had a sore throat . I was at the pool and Natasha saw me and heard me. She asked if I like hot tea. I went yes. She left the pool bar and went and got me tea with honey, lemon and ginger. It took a while as someone cut thst ginger for me.

These are the stories that makes AZ special