MSC Armonia Rams Dock in Roatan, Honduras

www3traveler

In an emailed statement to NPR, MSC Cruises said: "While manoeuvring alongside, for reasons that are currently still being duly investigated, the ship deviated from her course and grazed the end of the pier."

If that is what they call grazing, I'd hate to see smashing.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/11/601411818/watch-giant-cruise-ship-smashes-into-dock-in-honduras

I believe NCL docks at different place in Roatan.

And MSC...well Armonia is not US based, so not sure how many cruisers participate. If it was Divina or Seaside this would be different.

Norwegian docks in Coxen Hole. I been there lots of times on several Norwegian ships. Tomorrow The Getaway will be going to Belize City according to comments posted by passengers on The Getaway.

Here's another one with a few more details....

"The ship sustained minor damage from the incident, and was cleared by the Honduran Port State Control authorities to continue its journey once repairs were complete. The ship left the port at approximately 2 a.m. local time the morning of April 11, bringing the ship into Belize, its next scheduled port of call, at approximately 10 a.m., which is in line with the original schedule, the cruise line said."

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/msc-armonia-suffers-minor-fender-bender-isla-roatan

Norwegian docks in Coxen Hole. I been there lots of times on several Norwegian ships. Tomorrow The Getaway will be going to Belize City according to comments posted by passengers on The Getaway.
Oh.. msc used to dock at Mahogany bay

It's already on youtube....ouch!

it'll buff right out.

the anchor destroyed the small wooden floating platform at the end of the dock where the passengers get off/on the ship.

the concrete peer seemed untouched.

wonder why the ship was going to fast when docking.

anchor + reverse engines (im assuming) didnt stop the ship from being beached.

wonder what would have happened if the ship was going near full speed when it hit the beach?

would it be similiar to that Carnival ship that capsized in Italy?

Edited by fstuff1

My dive shop spoke with port authorities and they may already be "back to business as usual." According to the shop manager, they still expect to receive the Getaway on the 19th.

Who are you diving with? We have reservations with Coconut Divers on the 19th.

Ok, watch the video closely. Anchor chain down on the port side, you have to assume it was down on the starboard side as well. The video shows a BFV traveling at a faster rate of speed than it should when docking. Next look at the clips showing the balconies......all empty. Don't you find that unusual? On most of the cruises I've been on and at that time of day a lot of balconies are populated with people watching the ship come into port and docking.

Listen closely to the background noise after the ship comes to a stop. You hear open broadcasts to the crew and passengers. Putting all these elements together my judgement is the Bridge knew in advance there was a problem regulating speed and as a precaution made an announcement ordering passengers to report to their muster stations (thus no one on their balconies). Keep in mind steering or slowing a BIG ship is not like steering or slowing a car. The reaction of a car from a quick spin you might make with your steering wheel (which is almost instantaneous) does not relate to how a water borne vessel (regardless of size) responds to similar actions made at the bridge, or wheel; nor can you make a screeching stop in a boat or ship.

In respect to the Pilot's responsibility, given the rate of speed of the ship when it hit the dock, it is possible the ship was traveling too fast for the Pilot to safely transfer from his vessel to the cruise ship. All this what if stuff will be investigated by experts from different countries and insurance companies and we will all learn in a year or two about cause and effect.

Source for this? That's some pretty specific level of info and, if true, affects a lot of cruises.

I am getting updates from Bodden Tours facebook, in Roatan, who is receiving the updates from the Port of Roatan, who also has a FB page and is posting these updates.

Capture.png

Capture2.png

looks like it can buff out

First you gotta slather on the Bondo, then you wet sand it smooth, then you buff. However, don't press too hard, or you'll burn the paint, and for God's sake, you better not leave any swirl marks in the paint

I am getting updates from Bodden Tours facebook, in Roatan, who is receiving the updates from the Port of Roatan, who also has a FB page and is posting these updates.

I am also getting updates from Bodden tours. I must say that I appreciate them giving us updates. We sail April 22nd so we are just waiting to see what NCL decides.

I am also getting updates from Bodden tours. I must say that I appreciate them giving us updates. We sail April 22nd so we are just waiting to see what NCL decides.

Keep us posted whether or not NCL notifies you of the cancellation for Roatan. If you're canceled, then I'll be canceled as well on the May 6 cruise.

Keep us posted whether or not NCL notifies you of the cancellation for Roatan. If you're canceled, then I'll be canceled as well on the May 6 cruise.

I will report here if or when I hear from NCL

I posted in another thread, but I leave Sunday (15th), I have yet to get any word from NCL about cancelation of the port, just two days out.

I'm hoping they just decide to make it a tender stop. There are no other real options for ports. If you are going to do a tender stop at Belize City, might as well do it at Roatan. So logic would say it will be either and added sea day (and they would have to refund port fees) or make it a tender.