MSC Armonia Rams Dock in Roatan, Honduras

www3traveler

I’m supposed to be coming in on the getaway May 3rd. Would this likely be fixed by then?

It sheared off a whole section of moring area on the dock based on the video. I'm there in mid-May and am expecting to have to tender. My uneducated guess is a couple of months to fix.

Found an article with a little more information:

https://cruisefever.net/cruise-ship-hits-pier-in-roatan-video/

"MSC Armonia arrived in Roatan this morning and hit the pier. The pier sustained some damage and it is unknown at this time if the cruise ship is damaged as well. A video was posted on Facebook showing the cruise ship arriving in port and hitting the pier.

The ship appeared to have a technical issue which caused the vessel to not slow down when approaching the pier. The video shows the ship’s anchors were already lowered in an attempt to slow down the ship."

After re-thinking this I agree with the possible power failure issue. I am guessing definitely some sort of mechanical or instrument failure at any rate.

No change in speed or course correction, no apparent adjustments at all to try and actually dock. And after the collision thrusters still running strong while beached. That looks way more like a failure outside of the pilot's ability to deal with.

And I would imagine a few months for repairs at minimum. They will have to check all the structural supports for the entire pier and make certain none of them twisted or were otherwise damaged.

After re-thinking this I agree with the possible power failure issue. I am guessing definitely some sort of mechanical or instrument failure at any rate.

No change in speed or course correction, no apparent adjustments at all to try and actually dock. And after the collision thrusters still running strong while beached. That looks way more like a failure outside of the pilot's ability to deal with.

And I would imagine a few months for repairs at minimum. They will have to check all the structural supports for the entire pier and make certain none of them twisted or were otherwise damaged.

They didn't hit the main pier they hit one of the outlying jettys.

Posting this as an estimate of where damage was based on the two videos. The area in the red H appears to be the section of pier sheard off. The circled mooring appears that it may be damaged based on the photo from the second video. But unsure. The far mooring should be fine. If that circled mooring is damaged, I find it hard to think they can dock a ship the size of a Breakaway class. Plus the loss of that section of pier might also be a critical factor. Would need others more educated on requirements to say anything for certain.

Damage.jpg.756b41c52062ec09a1f4c8d3de566e0d.jpg

It is so confusing to me that there aren't news stories about this (since the families of the 800 passengers plus crew members would certainly want to know what is going on). You would think this would have hit all mainstream news by now and not just Youtube. Something feels so off with this.

just from watching the video...the ship is coming towards the dock way to fast, the anchors are disengaged, and the thrusters forward are running fast, as well as the aft by looking at the wake. You would think (I'm no seaman by any means) but, if you were having speed issues, wouldn't docking be the last thing you would want to do...I would be in open water trying to slow down, then, if possible drift towards shore.

Does anyone have the link to this particular Roll Call....

I was just reading The MSC boards. Nothing on this ship's Roll Call has been posted since about 9:40 this morning. In the Forum sections someone posted that She would overnight tonight in Coxen Hole. They also were reporting that at least one Royal Caribbean ship has told its passengers they would not be docking in Roatan this week. The Getaway is supposed to dock there on Thursday. I have not heard their plans are.

Very sad for those depending on the cruise ships for a living especially since this may be the last week they are there before returning to their schedules-- Europe, Alaska, etc.

There is no "brace for impact" warning for passengers or crew, and I really doubt that the impact was significant for those onboard, as it doesn't appear to have damaged the ship much at all. Yes, they would have felt a shudder, but not like the ship was hitting a wall. The Captain could have sounded 5 blasts on the ship's whistle, but that is really to notify another ship that there is danger.

The water you see in the photo is not bilge pumping, it is what is known as "anchor washdown" which is used to remove mud and silt from the anchor and chain when retrieving them. I doubt that the ship took any damage that breached the hull.

The ship's azipods may not have reversed (swung 180*) when required, and the ship couldn't stop. Stopping the propellers would stop propulsive force, but would not provide any braking. Without knowing the harbor configuration, I can't say what options the Captain had, other than dropping the anchors to achieve some braking force, and whether they could have swung away from the pier.

The damage to the ship visible in the photo (I can't stream video with the internet onboard), is all cosmetic, and could very likely never be repaired for the life of the ship.