Different room letters

ChrisB123

I don't understand (yet) what the letters mean after the room number. For instance, our next cruise on the Star will be in room: D611 and is a MB. What does the MB stand for? What about other rooms. I know the D stands for Dolphin deck. :D:D:)

First character:

I: inside

O: oceanview

B: balcony

D: deluxe balcony

M: mini suite

S: suite

Second character:

Numeric (1, 2, 3...) indicates premium cabin within that category, usually having both of larger cabin &.or balcony and preferred location (midship or stern facing)

Top of alphabet (A, B, C...) indicates standard cabin within that category

Bottom of alphabet (Z, Y, X...) indicates obstructed view

The differences within groupings of the second character usually comes down to location: midship ranked highest, mid-forward or mid-aft next, followed by aft and lastly far forward.

I'd like to jump in on this, if I may. What is A222 (Aloha Deck cabin 222). BE ?? Is BE good or bad or awful?

BE is one of the lower category balconies

Probably towards the front or back of the ship, some love it (in fact their first choice) some don’t, if you have no motion issues it’s fine.

I'd like to jump in on this, if I may. What is A222 (Aloha Deck cabin 222). BE ?? Is BE good or bad or awful?

In general, I wouldn't necessarily think of it as good/bad. Think of it as they always say for real estate: location, location, location. Premium location seems to be middle deck near the midship lifts, on the premise that any one spot on the ship is generally close. Not-so-premium would be a low deck (long way to buffet/Lido), high deck (long way to MDRs), all the way forward (long hike if you're heading to anything at the back of the ship, and/or all the way aft (long hike to the theater and other things forward). Aside from walking distance, some find that the most central part of the ship has the least motion when the ship is rocking, so the cruise lines categorize it this way and price it this way.

In general, I wouldn't necessarily think of it as good/bad. Think of it as they always say for real estate: location, location, location. Premium location seems to be middle deck near the midship lifts, on the premise that any one spot on the ship is generally close. Not-so-premium would be a low deck (long way to buffet/Lido), high deck (long way to MDRs), all the way forward (long hike if you're heading to anything at the back of the ship, and/or all the way aft (long hike to the theater and other things forward). Aside from walking distance, some find that the most central part of the ship has the least motion when the ship is rocking, so the cruise lines categorize it this way and price it this way.

Besides location to other areas, a low middle cabin will have less motion in high seas so many will only book in this area.

We like the forward cabins because we have fewer steps to walk when leaving the theater after the second show after dinner. They're also closer to the forward pool. We hardly ever go to the buffet, so being close to it doesn't matter to us.