Do you think people are NOT sharing their drink package ?

Exactly. It wouldn’t be a waste of money if you buy the refreshment instead of the deluxe, and there’s no need to take just a few sips of alcohol, because that does nothing...

But some people like the taste of alcohol (i.e., those people who are not just drinking to get drunk). A virgin cocktail most definitely tastes different than a cocktail with alcohol.

I'm surprised by the posts suggesting bartenders are bending the rules, not swiping cards, giving multiple drinks, etc. On our cruise last month on the LotS, the bartenders were very strict. They required a card from every person, every time, even if we were in the bar all night. They also wouldn't give out more than one drink at a time.

But some people like the taste of alcohol (i.e., those people who are not just drinking to get drunk). A virgin cocktail most definitely tastes different than a cocktail with alcohol.

I agree, but we weren't discussing true cocktails. Discussion had centered around frozen blender drinks and I think those are often tasteless as far as alcohol is concerned. They are usually more sugary concoctions with fruit, syrups, etc. You don't really taste the booze the way you would in a gin and tonic, screwdriver, etc.

I agree, but we weren't discussing true cocktails. Discussion had centered around frozen blender drinks and I think those are often tasteless as far as alcohol is concerned. They are usually more sugary concoctions with fruit, syrups, etc. You don't really taste the booze the way you would in a gin and tonic, screwdriver, etc.

I suppose palates vary, but I would disagree. Unless your bartender is poor, you should still taste the alcohol in a frozen drink. Even on a cruise ship. As sweet as they are on RC, that bitter component is crucial.

On Harmony now. At the Pub, I witnessed one gentleman who had drink package and his lady who had the beverage package (soda). The gentleman bought the drink and then took it to his lady sitting outside the pub. He wasn’t drinking it, his lady was. 5 minutes later he comes bank in a orders him a drink. The bartender just rolls he eyes and laughs. Says she doesn’t have the DX, only the Beverage, and have been doing this the entire cruise. So yes, it’s still going on and maybe soon we will be back to both having the DX if one does. Don’t understand why people feel they are so entitled to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think Royal is just making it less likely that people will share.

If all adults in the cabin need to get it, it would only be those who have friends/family travelling with them on the same cruise that they would be sharing with.

I don't think people sneaking/sharing packages with complete strangers is too much of a concern for cruise lines.

We were off the Anthem yesterday. We (DH and I) has the drink package. Hubs met someone at the bar celebrating a birthday, and a fellow Eagles fan. Was told he could not buy him a drink. He said he didn't want to use the package he would actually sign for the bill on the drink and was told it could not be done. Thought that was interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
I would gladly pay for a beer-only package if the price was less than the "everything" package. Has

one ever been offered on any cruise line?

Yes, my wife generally only drinks wine; I can't recall if it was RCL or NCL that had it, but there used to be a beer/wine only package that was like the full one, just without liquor. It was perfect for our situation, but alas, no more.

Yes, my wife generally only drinks wine; I can't recall if it was RCL or NCL that had it, but there used to be a beer/wine only package that was like the full one, just without liquor. It was perfect for our situation, but alas, no more.

RC had that beer/wine package, but they got rid of it a year or two ago. The current package is really not a good deal if all one drinks is beer.

I'm surprised by the posts suggesting bartenders are bending the rules, not swiping cards, giving multiple drinks, etc. On our cruise last month on the LotS, the bartenders were very strict. They required a card from every person, every time, even if we were in the bar all night. They also wouldn't give out more than one drink at a time.

It may vary ship to ship. I know a group that recently cruised with one deluxe package and several people shared. I was convinced they would get it taken away but they were heavy tippers. Sometimes bartenders swiped, sometimes not, from what they told me.

I only drink beer. DH drinks exotic things. We both buy the deluxe package. The beer & wine package was nice. But since they don't have it anymore, oh well. I fit in to their profile, since we paid for them months before.

I would prefer not to hear that *ka-ching* every time that I order a beer onboard. And with the package, I will occasionally order a Bloody Mary in the morning, club soda or a Margarita. :D

So, am I correct in assuming we both don't have to purchase the soda package? DH doesn't drink soda but I do. Neither of us drink alcohol or virgin drinks or beer or wine or specialty coffee. We usually make do with the complimentary drinks unless I find a soda package sale.

We are cruising in November & am considering a Wi-Fi package for 1 device & a soda package if I can get a decent sale.

Yes they are....sometimes my father in law is somewhere else and I go get him and myself a drink or sometimes we sit down at a bar somewhere and I use the rest room I leave mine with my other half we always get our drinks for each other as long as we have each others cards.

Ok, so does that mean I can send my DD or DH to get a drink for me if they have my sea pass card? I have issues with standing for long periods, so if they're not bringing drinks out to the pool for purchase, or taking drink orders, I'd prefer to send someone to get my drink (We all have the deluxe, so no sharing issue there).

Ok, so does that mean I can send my DD or DH to get a drink for me if they have my sea pass card? I have issues with standing for long periods, so if they're not bringing drinks out to the pool for purchase, or taking drink orders, I'd prefer to send someone to get my drink (We all have the deluxe, so no sharing issue there).

Yes that has been our experience.

As long as DD is 21 or older sailing out of US Ports.

We were off the Anthem yesterday. We (DH and I) has the drink package. Hubs met someone at the bar celebrating a birthday, and a fellow Eagles fan. Was told he could not buy him a drink. He said he didn't want to use the package he would actually sign for the bill on the drink and was told it could not be done. Thought that was interesting.

On our October 2016 Anthem cruise I had a package and was able to buy drinks that I paid for individually for 3 family members. The first time I did it, I got a strange look. Maybe things have changed, but I don't see they wouldn't let you pay for a drink for someone else.

They should bring back the separate type of drink packages, beer only, wine only, delux or all options...I always get the DX, and of course one bottle of Zantacs! ;O)

My husband drinks beer and had the beer/wine package a few years back. I recall it was $40 a day (plus gratuity). Considering we just paid a discounted $42 a day (plus gratuity) for the Deluxe package RC bringing it back seems unlikely.

Soooo if I'm able to get pregnant before we leave on the cruise ... I'll still be required to purchase a drink package just so my husband can have access to it? That's stupid. Clearly the pregnant chick won't be drinking.

Afraid so. You may buy a drink package for hubby and a refreshment package for yourself, or your hubby can pay for each drink which may be cheaper.

At first, Royal had exceptions to the rule but it appeared it was abused and bragged about the work around on CC.

Soooo if I'm able to get pregnant before we leave on the cruise ... I'll still be required to purchase a drink package just so my husband can have access to it? That's stupid. Clearly the pregnant chick won't be drinking.

No. If you call they will let you purchase a Refreshment package instead. I take a medication that interacts with alcohol and don't drink, so I was able to buy the Refreshment package.