First-Time Cruiser- Need Advice on Evening Activities for Parents

mrsbfamilyof3

Hey all-

First-time cruiser here & super unfamiliar with how Cruise Critic works. The search is kind of confusing, so please forgive me if this has already been addressed.

My husband and I are a younger couple who will be traveling with our 11yo daughter this month. I understand that there is a kid's club that is open from 10:15pm-2am. There are 2 nights where my husband and I are going to the comedy show together and are wondering other people's opinions on just tucking our daughter into bed and not dropping her off at the kid's club? We would rather her sleep (she is used to 10 hours per night at home) than stay up all night and risk her being physically exhausted (even more than she already will be with all of the other daytime activities) the next day. Do other parents have any experience with this? We really haven't met anyone else who has a child in our age group that has cruised- but this is also our first vacation together in 8 years, and we would really like to get away at night for date night, a drink at the pub, etc. The thought of her leaving the room during the night hasn't crossed our minds- but we would leave a phone in the room in case she wakes up and has to call us (we have the WIFI package).

Thank you :)

Not sure - difficult to answer without knowing your child. Would you leave her alone at home without a babysitter? Cruise ships are no different than a small city. You indicate you don't want to take her to late evening kid's club. Have you considered private in-room babysitting. Not sure what cruiseline you are on, but it is sometimes available on RC. It's expensive, but might put your mind at ease.

Would she panic if she woke up and you weren't there? Cabin doors close automatically if she even stepped out into the hallway - would lock her out. Are you concerned about balcony and going out there alone?

Rarely happens, but can happen, what to do if a true emergency occurs. Have been woken in the middle of night if a passenger is missing, or a medical emergency occurs. Definitely rare, but not unheard of.

Lots of things to think about and definitely lots of rules to set if you decide to leave.

Our granddaughter was 11 and a half on our Oasis cruise. Her favorite spots were flow rider, rock climbing wall and the kids club. She skipped late MDR to have dinner in the kids club with her new friends on several occasions. She normally goes to bed at 9:30 and gets up around seven. On the cruise she spent most nights in the club until 1am or so and then went with her dad to the overhanging Jacuzzi until 2am and then called me at 7am to go have pre breakfast donuts. Boarding the ship seems set off a no sleep needed polypeptide gene that last for the cruise entirety.

Rarely happens, but can happen, what to do if a true emergency occurs. Have been woken in the middle of night if a passenger is missing, or a medical emergency occurs. Definitely rare, but not unheard of.

As a cruiser who spends 3-6 months on ships every year, I can tell you this happens more frequently than anyone may realize. We've also experienced nighttime emergencies when muster personnel have been called to their muster stations because of fire. As a parent I would want to be there, with my child, if that happened. I wouldn't want to have to fight the throngs of people trying to get back to their cabins to grab their things when I was trying to get to my child. If she was at the kids club during that time, the kids club personnel would get her to the designated muster station and you could meet her there. But if she was by herself? My daughter is older now but I'd still be worried about her during those times.

Chances are she might be fine, but if something happens on the ship/to the ship it could potentially be very far from fine.

Our granddaughter was 11 and a half on our Oasis cruise. Her favorite spots were flow rider, rock climbing wall and the kids club. She skipped late MDR to have dinner in the kids club with her new friends on several occasions. She normally goes to bed at 9:30 and gets up around seven. On the cruise she spent most nights in the club until 1am or so and then went with her dad to the overhanging Jacuzzi until 2am and then called me at 7am to go have pre breakfast donuts. Boarding the ship seems set off a no sleep needed polypeptide gene that last for the cruise entirety.

Thank you for your reply! I am refreshed to hear that your granddaughter enjoyed the club and the friends she met so much that she looked forward to hanging out in the club! We have never been on a vacation outside of MI, let alone one that had an area designated for children of all ages, so we really don't know what to expect. We just want her to enjoy time with us, but also not feel too old to go "play" in the kid's zone with others her age.

My husband keeps telling me I am worrying too much about sleep. I guess I am just worrying because I don't want anyone to be too tired to do the things we've looked forward to/planned already. But it IS vacation, so I just need to relax!

Thanks again for your input!

As a cruiser who spends 3-6 months on ships every year, I can tell you this happens more frequently than anyone may realize. We've also experienced nighttime emergencies when muster personnel have been called to their muster stations because of fire. As a parent I would want to be there, with my child, if that happened. I wouldn't want to have to fight the throngs of people trying to get back to their cabins to grab their things when I was trying to get to my child. If she was at the kids club during that time, the kids club personnel would get her to the designated muster station and you could meet her there. But if she was by herself? My daughter is older now but I'd still be worried about her during those times.

Chances are she might be fine, but if something happens on the ship/to the ship it could potentially be very far from fine.

Since we are new to cruising, I hadn't really thought of that. Sure, emergency situations have crossed our mind and we have talked to our daughter about them, but it didn't really occur to me that it was a common occurrence. But I can remember going to Disney as a kid and people jokingly pulling the fire alarm almost every night, causing everyone to evacuate into the hotel parking lot. Obviously as a parent I wouldn't know what to do if I wasn't near/in my room during a time like that to make sure the 3 of us were safe.

Thank you for bringing this type of situation to light.

I have 5 kids, I let them stay home alone starting around the age of 10. On cruises, I’ve let 10 year olds stay in the cabin alone at 10. I felt they were safer than at home (with multiple doors and windows). None of my kids liked the kids clubs tween programs (DCL and NCL), so from 10 - 12, they were with us, in the cabin, or allowed to do a specific activity with a sibling.

Hey all-

First-time cruiser here & super unfamiliar with how Cruise Critic works. The search is kind of confusing, so please forgive me if this has already been addressed.

My husband and I are a younger couple who will be traveling with our 11yo daughter this month. I understand that there is a kid's club that is open from 10:15pm-2am. There are 2 nights where my husband and I are going to the comedy show together and are wondering other people's opinions on just tucking our daughter into bed and not dropping her off at the kid's club? We would rather her sleep (she is used to 10 hours per night at home) than stay up all night and risk her being physically exhausted (even more than she already will be with all of the other daytime activities) the next day. Do other parents have any experience with this? We really haven't met anyone else who has a child in our age group that has cruised- but this is also our first vacation together in 8 years, and we would really like to get away at night for date night, a drink at the pub, etc. The thought of her leaving the room during the night hasn't crossed our minds- but we would leave a phone in the room in case she wakes up and has to call us (we have the WIFI package).

Thank you :)

**Edited to add that we are cruising on Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas!

We've met more families on cruises that have their kids in the clubs in the evening rather than on their own. If it was a late stay they didn't mind the costs for their piece of mind. I didn't see which line you are on but most lines have a late night kids club charge.

I don't have kids yet, but I personally would rather my kids be in the club. I always think about the Madeline McCann case that still dominates news over here (Mum and dad left 3yr old in a hotel room while they dined in the hotel's facilities metres away. Child was never seen again after the kidnap).

Since we are new to cruising, I hadn't really thought of that. Sure, emergency situations have crossed our mind and we have talked to our daughter about them, but it didn't really occur to me that it was a common occurrence. But I can remember going to Disney as a kid and people jokingly pulling the fire alarm almost every night, causing everyone to evacuate into the hotel parking lot. Obviously as a parent I wouldn't know what to do if I wasn't near/in my room during a time like that to make sure the 3 of us were safe.

Thank you for bringing this type of situation to light.

You will learn more when you go to your muster drill. Just so you know, when you board your daughter will receive a bracelet, similar to a hospital ID bracelet. If she were not with you and was in the Advenure Ocean with the other kids, and there was an emergency, the staff would take her to her muster station. Crew are trained to look for kids and get them to the correct place.

I don't think you need to over think this, and I am sure she will be just fine. I mentioned emergencies in my previous post as this is something she would need to be told about should you decide to leave her in the cabin alone.

It's more common sense things like not going out of the cabin, not answering the door, etc. that you need to discuss ahead of time.

I also think kids can handle a few late nights better than we give them credit for - excitement kicks in! Don't be afraid to let her go to late night Adventure Ocean rather than bed if you would be more comfortable with supervision.

Thank you for your reply! I am refreshed to hear that your granddaughter enjoyed the club and the friends she met so much that she looked forward to hanging out in the club! We have never been on a vacation outside of MI, let alone one that had an area designated for children of all ages, so we really don't know what to expect. We just want her to enjoy time with us, but also not feel too old to go "play" in the kid's zone with others her age.

My husband keeps telling me I am worrying too much about sleep. I guess I am just worrying because I don't want anyone to be too tired to do the things we've looked forward to/planned already. But it IS vacation, so I just need to relax!

Thanks again for your input!

The only concern may be that at age 10 and up the kids are allowed to sign themselves in and out whenever they want.

If you choose to cruise with a minor child you need to be a responsible parent and take the child with you to your evening entertainment, or see that she is cared for in the kids club. How would you feel if she decided to leave the cabin and wander around the ship on her own? Your child's safety should be more important than how much sleep she has while on vacation.

If you choose to cruise with a minor child you need to be a responsible parent and take the child with you to your evening entertainment, or see that she is cared for in the kids club. How would you feel if she decided to leave the cabin and wander around the ship on her own? Your child's safety should be more important than how much sleep she has while on vacation.

Thank you for your comments, Rose- SUPER helpful. I will not be taking my child to the comedy show, seeing as though they are for adults only, just like I won't be allowing my child to accompany my husband and I to the bar for a late night drink or out dancing. This is OUR vacation as well, and we will be having adult alone time while we are at sea :) Healthy amounts of sleep are also a part of my child's safety, so I will be concerned about that :) Thanks for your input.

On ROyal Caribbean parents have to give permission/sign a waiver in order for them to do that.

Yes, my daughter already knows the rules about that. She does not have our permission to sign herself out at any time! Thanks for bringing that up though, I did read that and was kind of shocked they'd let 9-11 year olds do that!

I just saw you said RCL...silly me.

I just thought RCL offers a 'sitters at sea' service where a youth staff can be with the child in the cabin. Its $19 an hour and needs advance booking. They can entertain them or just sit while they sleep.

The normal 10pm-2am charge is $7ph.

How would you feel about leaving her alone, at nigh t in a large, big city hotel room? A cruise ship has all gthe same characteristics most of us protect children from You know your daughter and only you andher dad can made these choices.

Also...its not just a cruise ship...its the Biggest class of ship in the world that is more like a town than a hotel/resort. Very very different to an average ship.

Popping back to the cabin will take longer than most cruises and the sheer size of Allure may make your daughter feel worried if left alone.

I think when you get on the ship you will feel this too.

I just saw you said RCL...silly me.

I just thought RCL offers a 'sitters at sea' service where a youth staff can be with the child in the cabin. Its $19 an hour and needs advance booking. They can entertain them or just sit while they sleep.

The normal 10pm-2am charge is $7ph.

Just to clarify ....... Never heard RC's baby sitting described as sitters at sea and I have been sailing with RC for a very long time.

You can check with guest services and they will have a list of crew who might want to earn extra money by baby sitting. They are not necessarily from the youth staff. Could be any crew member. You can arrange to have a sitter and they frequently send two (not sure why ..... Perhaps insurance? No idea). The fee is usually $20 to $23 per hour. Have seen both reported. This is not a guaranteed service. It's definitely first come, first served, if they have any crew wanting to earn extra cash.

The after hours fee in AO. I think hours are 10:00 to 1:00 is $8 per hour.

Just to clarify ....... Never heard RC's baby sitting described as sitters at sea and I have been sailing with RC for a very long time.

You can check with guest services and they will have a list of crew who might want to earn extra money by baby sitting. They are not necessarily from the youth staff. Could be any crew member. You can arrange to have a sitter and they frequently send two (not sure why ..... Perhaps insurance? No idea). The fee is usually $20 to $23 per hour. Have seen both reported. This is not a guaranteed service. It's definitely first come, first served, if they have any crew wanting to earn extra cash.

The after hours fee in AO. I think hours are 10:00 to 1:00 is $8 per hour.

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-kit/2/youth-and-teen-program/

Sometimes a company will name a program but a company may not refer to its name directly.

I have read on the royal forums they try and get youth staff if possible...obviously that's not always the case.

I have 5 kids, I let them stay home alone starting around the age of 10. On cruises, I’ve let 10 year olds stay in the cabin alone at 10. I felt they were safer than at home (with multiple doors and windows). None of my kids liked the kids clubs tween programs (DCL and NCL), so from 10 - 12, they were with us, in the cabin, or allowed to do a specific activity with a sibling.

When you say you leave them alone, do you mean truely alone or with a sibling? Huge difference.

I'm cruising with my two boys in 13 days. They are in bed nightly at 8:30. All bets are off on the cruise! We have dinner at 8:15! We are going to live it up and party late! I'm not going to worry much about sleep and let them sleep in if needed.

I would probably determine everyone's comfort level once on the ship. Yes, there could be dangers in letting her sleep without you there, but there are dangers in crossing the street and I refuse to live in fear of everything.

Listen to your gut. Our intuition, especially as a mother, is quite powerful. Go, enjoy your time with your husband. Ease up on the sleep requirements and see how it goes. Trust yourself. HAVE FUN!

A lot of the shows on Allure are family oriented and last well into the late evening (Ice skating, high diving, acrobatic, Broadway Musical.) Your daughter would be safest in the children's club while you and your husband go out in the evening. She may also prefer to eat with her friends in the children's club rather than go to restaurants onboard with you. What I want to suggest is that, Allure only has 3 ports usually and the rest are days at sea and often one of those ports is Labadee which is mostly just a beach day -no need to race to get there, you just walk off the ship and you are there. So you have 3 days at sea and one day that is very relaxing at a beach. Your daughter can easily stay up late and sleep in the next morning on those 4 if she wants. In terms of sleep for the 2 port days where there is actually early morning excursions, just plan ahead that everyone goes to bed early enough the night before to be fresh for that. I think your daughter will love the kids club. I've seen them out and about on Allure and the kids look to be having a blast. Realistically you are not going to have time to see and do everything on Allure, even if you stayed onboard for the entire cruise, so do what you can do and enjoy the experience.

The chances of anything going wrong with the ship during your cruise are fairly low, but you do need to know that the doors to cabins can be opened by cruise ship employees with passkeys, so if your daughter were left alone in your cabin she should engage the deadbolt, but that also means that you cannot get into the cabin until she disengages the deadbolt. For all women on cruise ships, it is very important to engage the deadbolt when you are in the cabin alone and also at night when you are sleeping. There is safety and security in the kids clubs so your daughter will always be safe there. You daughter should also know that no one is allowed to come to your cabin and she is not allowed to go to anyone's cabin. In addition, the cabin steward, room service and maintenance workers are not allowed to come in the cabin if she is by herself in the cabin. Simple common sense safety measures such as these will protect your daughter and make sure your vacation is a great one!