Being Moved From An Accesible Room Question

chrismakris

Hello All,

I have found a pretty good deal on a Sky Suite in an accessible room. Although I have no need for the accessible part, I enjoy being in a Sky Suite.

Currently there are 3 of these rooms available for a sailing in November. Should they sell out and someone wants to book who needs an accessible room, what is their protocol? How would you be charged?

I have no problem being bumped down a class or two.

Thank you for your responses!

I was of the understanding that a able bodied person couldn't book a accessible cabin until much closer to sailing. We were upgraded to an accessible SS a couple of years ago and that was done about 2 weeks before sailing.

Did you contact Celebrity an ask about booking an accessible cabin?

Hello All,

I have found a pretty good deal on a Sky Suite in an accessible room. Although I have no need for the accessible part, I enjoy being in a Sky Suite.

Currently there are 3 of these rooms available for a sailing in November. Should they sell out and someone wants to book who needs an accessible room, what is their protocol? How would you be charged?

I have no problem being bumped down a class or two.

Thank you for your responses!

They really can't bump you down a "class or 2". They would most likely upgrade you for free. If they offed a lesser accommodation I wouldn't take it unless some compensation(refund of extra cost of the Sky suite. or generous OBC was offered.)

They have very complicated ways of optimizing inventory. If they feel they have a surplus of accessible suites and maybe no regular ones I'm not surprised that they would offer to the general public before final payment. That said I really wouldn't trust the web site and would call to verify that they are offering the room to the general public. If you do book that way I'd still watch as final payment draws near and if a "better" S2 shows up (accessible or not as there are usually a bunch of cancellations when people have to pay up) you should be able to switch at the same rate/perks with a simple phone call to your TA or Celebrity providing you are in the US.

I am also very surprised that they would be offering an accessible room to someone who does not need it this far in the future. They usually release them only after final payment is due, and sometimes later than that. I doubt they have an abundance of accessible suites - these days they sell out all their suites on most cruises from what I have seen. Double check with Celebrity before you finalize the booking.

I upgraded us from an Aqua Class to a GTY Sky Suite ( that was all that was available so you don't see where it is) and I got an Accessible. We are sailing June 2nd. I was expecting to find out my cabin when we checked in at the dock but two days later they assigned me this one. I suppose I could have found this out at the docl also. Anyway, I feel kind of funny being in an Accessible cabin when I do not have a need for it. I would hope they would move us if someone really needs it. I read that they will move you if you find that a regular cabin of the same class comes back into inventory and you can see if on the booking site. ( Not GTY) I am going to keep checking. Otherwise, I will do my best not feel like I am committing a crime by having one of these cabins. It makes me a little uncomfortable.

We were put in an accessible suite on a Millenium Class ship. The room was larger, however other changes in the cabin did not work for us.

The clothes closet had only a low bar, so my dresses were dragging on the floor. The sing was not at a usable height. The shower had no means of containing water, when I took a shower water was all over the bathroom floor. After this one mistake we took showers in the spa changing rooms. The differences that made it accessible were a big drawback to us. Try to get a normal sky suite if you can.

We were put in an accessible suite on a Millenium Class ship. The room was larger, however other changes in the cabin did not work for us.

The clothes closet had only a low bar, so my dresses were dragging on the floor. The sing was not at a usable height. The shower had no means of containing water, when I took a shower water was all over the bathroom floor. After this one mistake we took showers in the spa changing rooms. The differences that made it accessible were a big drawback to us. Try to get a normal sky suite if you can.

I am going to keep checking over the next few weeks to see if anything opens up. I am hoping for some cancellations or upgrades that will put the rooms back in inventory. If nothing comes up, I am stuck where I am. I can't afford to upgrade again. ( wish I could though) .

Our TA booked us into an accessible SS (without our knowledge, at least initially). I was concerned because we didn't need it. I called Celebrity and was told that anyone can book accessible cabins when they are the last cabins available in a specific category. I was persistent in looking for another SS and when one became available we were switched. Celebrity did not automatically switch us and actually our TA thought we were crazy but we didn't feel good about possibly depriving someone of a cabin they needed. If you are still outside of final payment most likely you can be switched to a non-accessible SS but only if you request it.

I would feel uncomfortable booking an accessible room for a sailing quite away out, like the November mentioned. Would not want to deprive anyone with a need for one. At the same time, why would anyone feel guilty booking one if it were available if the cruise were in the next couple of months? People who need it had their chance, there are still rooms available, and the cruise line needs to fill them. In my mind it's kind of like people who are afraid to use a handicapped stall in the restroom even if there is no one around who needs it and a waiting line out the door. I think sometimes we can go overboard with the guilt. If anyone who needs a handicapped room feels they should all be left available until sailing just in case they might need them I don't think they are being very considerate. You can be considerate of people in need, and at the same time practical.

As to the rooms themselves, I have never been in one, but have had relatives need to book them. Their only issue was the one mentioned with the shower as it needs to be a roll in. They solved the issue by getting extra towels and making a 'dam' on the floor next to the shower (they were disabled, but did not use wheel chairs). They were not the type to wear dresses, so not sure on the closet situation. The plus side - the rooms are probably 1/3 bigger than other rooms. I would put up with a little inconvenience for the space myself.