Wine & Corkscrew Questions

CruiseGal999

I'm flying to LA later this year for my cruise. I will only have carry on luggage. I just don't check bags.

1) Can I fly with a corkscrew in carry on luggage?

OR

2)Can I 'use/borrow' a bottle opener from the bar?

I will bring the 1 free bottle of wine & 1 additional bottle & pay the $15. corkage fee. I guess since I've paid the 'corkage' fee, the bar can open 1 of the bottles. But the free one ... how to open it?

I only want to have these bottles in my room. I won't bring them to MDR.

You get the wine glasses and a cork screw from room service. Call room service and ask for them. The room steward does not have them. We always take wine aboard and call room service as soon as we board asking for the items.

You get the wine glasses and a cork screw from room service. Call room service and ask for them. The room steward does not have them. We always take wine aboard and call room service as soon as we board asking for the items.

Thank you! I will do that.

We got our corkscrew taken away by TSA once, so good idea to plan to get it somewhere else.

Checking the TSA app, it shows that corkscrews are allowed in carryon bags as long as they don’t have a blade. However there’s also a general disclaimer that an agent makes the final decision whether any item is allowed. And when there’s an agent who may not know all of the TSA rules then sometimes items are not allowed.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I'm flying to LA later this year for my cruise. I will only have carry on luggage. I just don't check bags.

1) Can I fly with a corkscrew in carry on luggage?

OR

2)Can I 'use/borrow' a bottle opener from the bar?

I will bring the 1 free bottle of wine & 1 additional bottle & pay the $15. corkage fee. I guess since I've paid the 'corkage' fee, the bar can open 1 of the bottles. But the free one ... how to open it?

I only want to have these bottles in my room. I won't bring them to MDR.

Based on the TSA app, you can take a corkscrew without a blade in your carryon bag. However that doesn’t ensure that a TSA agent won’t seize it from you.

Since you’ll need to purchase your wine after arriving in LA some stores have inexpensive corkscrews to purchase. Or as stated you could request to borrow one from room service. Another option is to purchase wine with a screw top cap with no need for a corkscrew.

I had an inexpensive "waiter's" corkscrew taken from me by TSA at LAX last February. No blade on it, just the corkscrew. And yet, they let my husband keep his small folding knife because the blade was under the limit. Go figure. I should have put it in my husband's checked bag, but decided to carry my small roller on at the last minute instead of checking it. Thankfully it was just one I had purchased for a couple of dollars at Wal-Mart when we needed an extra one for my daughter's wedding reception. My stepdaughter was working on the ship (the Royal) and let us use her corkscrew that she already had on board, but I assume we could have gotten one from our room steward who brought us wine glasses.

Based on the TSA app, you can take a corkscrew without a blade in your carryon bag. However that doesn’t ensure that a TSA agent won’t seize it from you.

Since you’ll need to purchase your wine after arriving in LA some stores have inexpensive corkscrews to purchase. Or as stated you could request to borrow one from room service. Another option is to purchase wine with a screw top cap with no need for a corkscrew.

Thanks. I have thought about the screw cap option, not sure if there'll be wine with a screw top. I am just buying it at the hotel's sundries store. I called, they do have bottled wine in their little hotel store. I just didn't ask if any were screw top. I'll find out when I get there.

Thanks. I have thought about the screw cap option, not sure if there'll be wine with a screw top. I am just buying it at the hotel's sundries store. I called, they do have bottled wine in their little hotel store. I just didn't ask if any were screw top. I'll find out when I get there.

There are increasingly better wines available with a screw top. with the number of grocery stores, liquor stores, mini marts, wine shops, etc, there might be something near the hotel with a better selection.

Has anyone tried to take one of the wine cork removers past TSA that just have the two prongs that are slid down the side of the cork?

81BQd20kDsL._SL1500_.jpg

There are increasingly better wines available with a screw top. with the number of grocery stores, liquor stores, mini marts, wine shops, etc, there might be something near the hotel with a better selection.

Has anyone tried to take one of the wine cork removers past TSA that just have the two prongs that are slid down the side of the cork?

81BQd20kDsL._SL1500_.jpg

I have one of those but to not risk losing it based on a TSA agent’s interpretation of the rules I put it in a checked bag. It works well & the top works better to open my bottles of beer than the old bottle openers in the cabins.

With 2 days in LA the OP may have time to shop elsewhere & agree there are some good wines with screw tops which have come a long, long way since our youth. ;p

I have one of those but to not risk losing it based on a TSA agent’s interpretation of the rules I put it in a checked bag. It works well & the top works better to open my bottles of beer than the old bottle openers in the cabins.

With 2 days in LA the OP may have time to shop elsewhere & agree there are some good wines with screw tops which have come a long, long way since our youth. ;p

I would think it would be OK as there are no sharp points or edges. I am like you and have not risked loosing mine.

As for screw tops, not sure if you heard of Bonny Doon winery who did Cardinal Zin, but they supposedly were part of a study that determined there was no difference in quality of a cork over screw cap.

Carried an inexpensive corkscrew in my carry on for years. Just left it in the case. Last year in PV security took it away . On my next cruise on the Royal I had forgotten to replace it. Room service brought glasses but did not have corkscrews. Good steward had his own collection, actually better than my carry on, which he loaned to me. Got a better extra tip.

Yeah ... MD20/20 and Boone's Farm are NOT on my list. :D