Crossing the Atlantic

glo3479

Now that you have posted your question on many lines the answer is a cruise ship is not an ocean liner.

I believe the QM2 is one of the few ocean liners doing the crossing now. It would be the most stable ship if that’s what you are looking for.

Just completed a transatlantic on Viking Ocean. The seas were pretty high the first few days out of San Juan. Wasn’t as stable as the celebrity Equinox two years ago but ok. The ships are so lovely and the crew so warm that you forget about the rocking and rolling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Viking Sky. Look we have been on anything up to and including the mega Oasis. The Sky was terrific. Seas were rolling from 10' to 30'+ all week. Yes, ALL week. She handled it with ease. We were on deck 8, Have to say the whole experience was a Lifetime Experience. 7 Sea days in a row,, Nice.

Now that you have posted your question on many lines the answer is a cruise ship is not an ocean liner.

I believe the QM2 is one of the few ocean liners doing the crossing now. It would be the most stable ship if that’s what you are looking for.

Thank you for your suggestion, but we do not like large ships. We prefer small ships.

Sunbrookgal...glad you mentioned something about this. I've been meaning to start a thread about how much motion there is on the Viking Ocean ships.

This is true. We just did the West Indies Explorer and had calm seas and great weather, but I could feel the ship rocking. We don’t get seasick so we were fine, but if people have motion issues they might want to make sure to bring their seasick remedies

yes, I have crossed the Atlantic several times on smaller ships, less than 400 feet in fact, and in weather less than ideal ... twice was under sail!

enhance

any questions?

CGC EAGLE, undersail in the north Atlantic in a nice stiff breeze and making 10 knots or so with a nice steady list due to the wind. Not 'full sail', note the folks up in the rigging taking in sail as the wind is building .....

At the truck <top> of the main mast ... a long long time ago

enhance

look ma, I'm on top of the world .......

apologies to younger readers who may not understand the reference!

Sunbrookgal...glad you mentioned something about this. I've been meaning to start a thread about how much motion there is on the Viking Ocean ships.

I'm not brave, or a sailor. I'm from the Bronx. The Atlantic was moving all week. No matter the length of a ship during this crossing it would have moved. Not much you could do. Now given this , Sky was wonderful. She handled the up's, down's and side to side's as good or better than many. RCL big ships come to mind, as they roll all over when crossing the Gulf Stream.

Would go again. Does that answer the Q?

I'm sure the answer is simply "it depends on the weather".

On a recent transatlantic on Seabourn, it was smooth as glass practically the whole way, with just a few swells a couple of nights. Captain said he actually anticipated rougher seas between Madeira and Lisbon, but that was also smooth.

Thank you for your suggestion, but we do not like large ships. We prefer small ships.

Are you going to post a summary of responses to each of the parallel threads you started on this subject? Since you effectively spammed it across several forums it would be unreasonable to expect everyone who read or commented upon it in those forums to collate all the responses for themselves.

Subjectively normal.

I did not notice a tendency to rolling (vs quite noticeable on the top heavy RCI Quantum-class).

The ship has a relatively wide body hull with a visibly narrowed superstructure.

Of course this is not an ocean liner, so it's all depends on the sea condition.

Just avoid the forward suites 3000 and 3001 as a precaution.

I beg to differ with your comment on sutes 3000 and 3001 based on our just completed TA on the Viking Sea. We accepted Viking's offer to upgrade to Suite 3000 for a nominal fee just before our March 27th sailing date. This cruise was for 15 days from San Juan to Barcelona with six consecutive days at sea between St. Martin and Funchal in the Madeira Islands. The seas ran from 2 meters to 8 meters in our crossing and were never a problem. The was some moderate roll when the seas were somewhat abeam but were partially attenuated by the ship's stabilizers.

Our suite was excellent. Our veranda opened to the side and was completely dry. I often went out on it and watched over the railing to see how the ship was taking the waves while making up to 18 knots on our sea days. The bow wave was fascinating to watch and listen to.

In another thread, there was a warning about these suites based on another cruise line's older ship experience with similarly located cabins in heavy seas. Though our cabin was the the closest to the front of the ship, we never felt any concern for large waves coming over the flaired bow.

Though the cabin was well lighted and had an excellent view forward over the bow with nearly floor to ceiling windows, there was never any concern about safety. They were 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick "armored" glass (or other transparent material) and were securely fastened around their entire perimeter about every 4 inches with stainless steel screws or bolts. The sliding door onto the veranda was heavy and equally robust.

Needless to say we were very satisfied with Suite 3000 and would recommend it and it's counterpart 3001 on the starboard side of the ship based on our recent experience.

Senior Gators

This is true. We just did the West Indies Explorer and had calm seas and great weather, but I could feel the ship rocking. We don’t get seasick so we were fine, but if people have motion issues they might want to make sure to bring their seasick remedies

Sorry...my response was confusing! I meant to say I had intended to start a thread inquiring as to how much motion there is with Viking. Didn't mean to have it sound like I was saying there is alot of motion! Never been so don't know.