Elevator Crowding, the times they are a changing...

MizDemeanor

The whole absurdity of this thread is that there are only a very few times on any cruise that elevators are an issue. One being right before/after muster drill. A vast majority of the time the elevator capacity is a non-issue. In reality it is all a first world problem anyway. Stop looking for reason to be angry and grumpy, instead enjoy your cruise!

You nailed it. I say it all the time.. some people just love complaining, and being miserable. They are on every cruise. And I love the looks I get from said nasty people, when I'm drinking, gambling, carrying on, and having a merry ole' time!

Many people seem unable to have an open mind to trying anything new, many twisted word are for drama and sentences are just made up things up for no good reason.

If you who insist on forcing yourselves into a car that has little to no capacity that’s the me first people.

Most people turn down getting into an elevator that is obviously filled, but the bandwagon here insists that aw heck, make them move, step in step on their toes, who cares just get me in this elevator. The elevator that I’ve waited an eternity for. It’s finally here, I don’t care how filled it is, I WANT TO GET ON IT NOW. I have places to go and people to see.

You getting a better eye for that look back at yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm always surprised by the number of people crammed into the elevators when there's a high proportion of Americans on board. I've honestly seen apparently able-bodied passengers get into the elevator to ride up or down just two or three decks. There really seems to be an aversion to getting the tiniest amount of mild exercise and just using the stairs.

I can't help but think that if we all took the stairs when we are able to, then there would be a lot more space in the elevators for those who need them.

I'm always surprised by the number of people crammed into the elevators when there's a high proportion of Americans on board. I've honestly seen apparently able-bodied passengers get into the elevator to ride up or down just two or three decks. There really seems to be an aversion to getting the tiniest amount of mild exercise and just using the stairs.

I can't help but think that if we all took the stairs when we are able to, then there would be a lot more space in the elevators for those who need them.

Think I'll get a t-shirt to wear on my next cruise: I know I look able bodied, but I have two bad knees and can't walk the stairs.

What is that saying - Don't judge a book by the cover.

...What is that saying...

I'm not saying we should all jump up out of our wheelchairs and magically become able-bodied. That would be impossible, wouldn't it.

I literally said this in my post that you're replying to:

...when we are able to...

If you're not able to, then you're not one of the people I suggest take the stairs. (y)

I believe the point is that you can't always see why a person is taking the elevator. DW and I prefer the stairs, however since she has a very bad knee taking more than a flight up begins to become painful for her.We rarely take the elevator down unless it is several decks down.

It's no worse than rush hour on a subway for an hour long commute. None of us is going very far on the elevator or in it for very long. So I'm on the more the merrier bandwagon.

I believe we should have rappelling lines down the side of the ship and skyhook lift going up.

NCL could charge for it and people would stand in line just to change floors.

Uh YOU were on the elevator and not using the stairs! :confused:

No I wasn't. When have you ever seen me in an elevator? I've never even been in the elevator in the building where I work, far less on a ship where I've got plenty of time and fully operational legs.

Speaking of 'fully operational legs', I didn't say that I'm casting individual aspersions on people who I have deemed 'well enough' or 'not well enough' to climb stairs. Some of us have hidden disabilities, some of us have noticeable disabilities, some of us appear healthy and aren't, and some of us are the other way around.

All I'm saying is, when you look at the number of people queuing for elevators and compare it to the number of people who (like me) take the stairs, it would seem that there's an enormous number of people who are probably able to take the stairs but don't. And again, I'll repeat this because a lot of you seem keen to take offence: I can't tell which ones aren't able to, and which ones are just lazy... but if you're one of the ones who aren't able to then I'm not talking about you so there's no need to be upset.

And unless you haven't noticed...

some people use mobility assistance devices

some people wear way too much perfume/cologne

some people carry way oversize bags/purses

some people wear big hats

some people have noisy kids

- AND -

some people think the world revolves around them and if things are not going exactly how they please, it must be because other folks are rude and inconsiderate.

I don’t understand the noisy kids inclusion. How does that impact elevator space? Noisy kid allergy is a new one for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And unless you haven't noticed...

some people use mobility assistance devices

some people wear way too much perfume/cologne

some people carry way oversize bags/purses

some people wear big hats

some people have noisy kids

- AND -

some people think the world revolves around them and if things are not going exactly how they please, it must be because other folks are rude and inconsiderate.

You forgot one, some people just stink.....they smell downright nasty. By the end of day 2 on our 14 day BA cruise in February my wife and I decided then we would be taking the stairs most of the time. On top of the people who try to get in before you get off we found a lot of the oder people just stank:eek:

I believe the point is that you can't always see why a person is taking the elevator. DW and I prefer the stairs, however since she has a very bad knee taking more than a flight up begins to become painful for her.We rarely take the elevator down unless it is several decks down.

this is so true plus it really isn't anyone's business why people use an elevator over stairs. We used to use the stairs when it was just a few flights but yes, the bad knees can make it a challenge and in my case, except for my age no one would have any idea why I choose an elevator. In the case of my husband, he uses a walker so his mobility is very apparent.

So if you have never been on an elevator how do you know how many floors someone rode the elevator? Your entire post was based on "apparently able bodied" people to "ride up or down just two or three decks". So you (1) assume someone is able bodied and (2) assume they are riding less than some mythical minimum number of decks you think is acceptable for elevator travel. Why does what you THINK others MIGHT be doing that in no way impact you anyway, since you do not use an elevator, bother you so much? Spend as much time enjoying your cruise as you do looking for reasons to worry about others and you will be a lot happier!

Don't forget, he also attributed this to the "high number of Americans on board." You know, since we're all fat, lazy slobs. :rolleyes:

Think I'll get a t-shirt to wear on my next cruise: I know I look able bodied, but I have two bad knees and can't walk the stairs.

What is that saying - Don't judge a book by the cover.

Yes and I need one saying I have asthma and a screwed up back that sends nerve pain down my leg. Way too many uninformed judgements going on as to who is able-bodied and who isn't.

... since we're all fat, lazy slobs.

Oh come, now, I never said that Americans were 'slobs'. And not all Americans are fat, either!America is 12th on the 'World Health Organisation Prevalence of Obesity ranking', but that doesn't mean they're 'all' obese. That's just silly.

... how do you know how many floors someone rode the elevator?

Saw them get in. Went up two flights of stairs. Saw them get out. Jumped to the conclusion that they must have ridden up those two decks in the elevator. Not rocket science...

I love these boards. Three pages about elevators. Everyone here has an opinion about everything and I seriously (not being snarky, can't tell just reading this) love it. Seriously, it's fun! Thanks for brightening my day. <3
I'm delighted that someone else is enjoying this as much as I am.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Forums mobile app

So folks what cruise rules have we learned in recent threads...

1) You cannot get on an elevator if doing so causes you to touch another person.

2) You cannot leave your cabin while someone in the next cabin is sleeping lest the door closing wake them.

2) You cannot leave a how early no matter how bad you find it to be lest you bother someone else there.

4) You cannot go to the pool before anyone else lest the other person has to walk maybe 10 steps to the pool.

Did I miss one or more?

Just keep making more stuff up, you are good at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So folks what cruise rules have we learned in recent threads...

1) You cannot get on an elevator if doing so causes you to touch another person.

2) You cannot leave your cabin while someone in the next cabin is sleeping lest the door closing wake them.

2) You cannot leave a how early no matter how bad you find it to be lest you bother someone else there.

4) You cannot go to the pool before anyone else lest the other person has to walk maybe 10 steps to the pool.

Did I miss one or more?

These mad rules you've made up are entirely unreasonable. It's almost as if you're maniacal...

Sent from my LG-H990 using Forums mobile app

Sure you did. Next you will be trying to sell us a bridge in Brooklyn. If that is the case why did you say 2-3 floors and not just 2. Still my question remains why does this even bother you if you do not use the elevator in the first place and please tell us the minimum number of floors one can go and use the elevator so we do not violate your rules going forward. Oh and is this all pertaining just to Americans? Are there different minimums based on nationality or maybe time of day?

Next time I'm on an elevator I'm going to ask to see ID. Apparently I'm not as skilled as some at telling who is who. I mean, wow, Sam is incredibly observant. He knows people's nationalities, able-bodiedness, and how many floors they're going. I must be spending too much time enjoying myself rather than picking apart everything people do. :)