What is the most disgusting thing you have seen fellow passengers do?

Hand sanitizer is not effective against Norovirus.

My understanding is that alcohol based sanitizer (what you find most places) is not, but that there is a formula (used by at least some cruise lines) that is. Either way, RCCL was enforcing use. It still kills many other viruses and has some benefit over not washing at all. (We wash with soap and water, but also comply with requests for sanitizer use rather than making the ladies job more difficult.)

We did not see any crew members at any of the places to dine on the Carnival Horizon, offering hand sanitizer. The stand alone dispensers were there as well as the touch less hand washing area at the Marketplace but VERY few guests using them. We have seem the crew on RCI and Celebrity but they certainly don't "make" people use it and you do see people walk right by.

The thing is, if everyone is not in compliance, then the handles of the serving utensils at the buffets are "dirty" from all those who have coughed into their hands, passed the soap and water on the way out from the washrooms and God knows what else. We clean our hands only to have them contaminated moments later by those people. My solution was to carry a pocket size hand sanitizer and clean my hands again before eating.

I was very impressed by Carnival's hand washing area. Princess also had sinks, but I don't think they were touch-less. Carnival gave a decent amount of soap, enough water to wash and rinse, and driers that actually dried;)

I don't think they would have time to wash their hands as they are to busy.

Anyone who has ever had Noro Virus will tell you the drama is justified.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

So, because "you don't think" they have time we should condemn them all and spread rumors based on your feelings with no proof. Great job! :rolleyes:

So, because "you don't think" they have time we should condemn them all and spread rumors based on your feelings with no proof. Great job! :rolleyes:
I don't know what they do except the waiters now have more tables to look after through staff cuts but i sincerely hope they do wash their hands as we do on numerous occasions.

My wife has had NoroVirus and me food poisoning on a ship so hygiene is the top of our list of priorities.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Not really disgusting but I thought it was a bit inappropriate - We were on the Valor in 2007. It was a sea day and there is this woman changing her daughter from a bathing suit to dry clothes. Okay no big deal EXCEPT that this girl was about 10 or 11. Now as you can see by my picture, I wasn't offended. I just thought it was inappropriate.

Not really disgusting but I thought it was a bit inappropriate - We were on the Valor in 2007. It was a sea day and there is this woman changing her daughter from a bathing suit to dry clothes. Okay no big deal EXCEPT that this girl was about 10 or 11. Now as you can see by my picture, I wasn't offended. I just thought it was inappropriate.
If I was a betting man, I would hypothesis that they were European since they have less hang ups about nudity than those of us on this side of the pond.

Recently I saw a woman running down the hallway pulling along a small child who had excrement running down both legs...that wasn’t so pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Speaking of hand dryers in bathrooms, which someone mentioned a few posts ago, an episode was done on hand dryers versus paper towels on "Mythbusters." The paper towels won hands down as the more sanitary and better germ fighting option. They took samples from the areas around both the towel dispenser and the dryer, then put the samples in a petri dish to see what would grow. The area around the hand dryer was awful! Germs get blown around by the air presser. With the "super-sonic" super-doper dryers that are on Carnival ships I bet germs get blown all over the bathroom.

If I was a betting man, I would hypothesis that they were European since they have less hang ups about nudity than those of us on this side of the pond.

The reason it didn't bother me was that I'm a life-long nudist BUT you have to consider those around you. My wife and I wouldn't think off having our daughters change in public.

Speaking of hand dryers in bathrooms, which someone mentioned a few posts ago, an episode was done on hand dryers versus paper towels on "Mythbusters." The paper towels won hands down as the more sanitary and better germ fighting option. They took samples from the areas around both the towel dispenser and the dryer, then put the samples in a petri dish to see what would grow. The area around the hand dryer was awful! Germs get blown around by the air presser. With the "super-sonic" super-doper dryers that are on Carnival ships I bet germs get blown all over the bathroom.

I wonder why most hospitals use dryers rather than paper towels. I prefer towels, but understand why dryers are more practical for many businesses, especially ships.

I wonder why most hospitals use dryers rather than paper towels. I prefer towels, but understand why dryers are more practical for many businesses, especially ships.

As a healthcare worker, in my experience, there is only paper in any of the bathrooms I've frequented for these settings.

I can't answer that for hospitals, but I suspect that any business that uses dryers does so for long term cost reduction and not for health reasons.

My wife used to ask me why I absolutely refuse to use hand rails on staircases and escalators (even to the detriment of my safety). I asked her to consciously watch for instances of people cleaning said rails and get back to me with the results of her studies. I am in my mid 40's and I have never witnessed a cleaning event applied to staircase/escalator handrails in public places.

I've seen workers cleaning staircase hand rails, etc. I'm a late bird & it's usually very late at night when most passengers are asleep.

Curious which ships 'make guests sanitize hands' at any point on the cruise? I've never once seen anyone making any guest sanitize their hands anywhere on the ship.

When we were on Norwegian Getaway a few years ago, they had people at every entrance to the buffet and wherever they had food with hand sanitizer that they sprayed in your hands or had you use the hand washing sinks. They also sprayed everyone's hands as they got back on the ship. My husband was in heaven because he is a germaphobe.

Using the dryers results in less waste (used paper towels) and lower costs. While paper towels may not be all that expensive in smaller numbers, I'm sure it adds up.

I prefer paper towels as well, but I don't see them returning.

Using the dryers results in less waste (used paper towels) and lower costs. While paper towels may not be all that expensive in smaller numbers, I'm sure it adds up.

I prefer paper towels as well, but I don't see them returning.

On the Glory they use dryers, but had the disposable tissue you were to use on the handle of the bathroom door on your way out.

First of all, you are making assumptions that the servers don't wash their hands during or between services without any proof whatsoever. That's shameful. Secondly, do you think your mouth (which the napkins are there for) has any fewer germs than your nose and is any less disgusting? People really need to dial their drama levels down a notch or two.

Now that you mention it, sometime watch the servers clear a table with used silverware, glasses, plates, etc, then turn right around and grab a dessert utensil and put it in front of someone.

Bleh

Now that you mention it, sometime watch the servers clear a table with used silverware, glasses, plates, etc, then turn right around and grab a dessert utensil and put it in front of someone.

Bleh

My comments are not assumptions. I have seen the removal of used dishes, soiled table cloths, napkins and the resetting of the table without any indication of hand hygiene in between.

With regard to wiping your mouth with a napkin being just as dirty as blowing your nose into it, you must be joking. Gently pressing a napkin to ones mouth to wipe away any possible food is a far cry from blowing mucous from your nose into a napkin. Yes the mouth is dirty but I have yet to see anyone stuff a napkin into their dirty mouth and run it around inside. However, based on some of the behaviours indicated on this thread, that might very well be happening.

I can't answer that for hospitals, but I suspect that any business that uses dryers does so for long term cost reduction and not for health reasons.

I am an operating room nurse and have worked in health care for 44 years, in Canada. I have never seen or heard of dryers being used in place of paper towels in hospitals. For many reasons this would not be a desirable option in health care settings. Cost being the least of the problems.

My wife used to ask me why I absolutely refuse to use hand rails on staircases and escalators (even to the detriment of my safety). I asked her to consciously watch for instances of people cleaning said rails and get back to me with the results of her studies. I am in my mid 40's and I have never witnessed a cleaning event applied to staircase/escalator handrails in public places.

Wow, I see them cleaning the railings constantly.

Another time I was at the main pool. A mother was entering the pool with her baby in a diaper. I looked around and notice no one was watching.

So I got up and went to find a security guy who was standing WAY OVER THERE. He followed me back to the pool. He looks and then comes over to me, stating, "That's OK. The baby is wearing a diaper".

I gave up.

Keep off my grass.

Pretty much this. I'm looking forward to the Serenity Deck but then realized that there is only 1 hot tub.

I am an operating room nurse and have worked in health care for 44 years, in Canada. I have never seen or heard of dryers being used in place of paper towels in hospitals. For many reasons this would not be a desirable option in health care settings. Cost being the least of the problems.

Good thing I said I couldn't answer for hospitals. I'm not at hospitals often and can't recall if I've seen them or not. If they aren't in use there, good. I wish they were not in use anywhere.