Celebrity Infinity - Questions, Should I go on it? (reviews are bad?)

NyYankees2k3

3 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Jim_Iain  did a "live from" while on their TA  aboard Infinity last month.  They are very seasoned cruisers and didn't complain about anything IIRC.

You will find his thread on this board on Page 7, scroll down to their B2B on Infinity, about half way down the page 

Yes we spent 20 days on Infinity last month and from my humble opinion loved both the ship and staff.   If you are expecting a sparkling brand new ship you will be disappointed but for a 20 year old lady which has had a number of facelifts she still looks pretty darn good.

I did notice that just before our first cruise they hand installed all new deck chairs throughout the ship and were constantly sanding and painting on a daily basis.   I do a lot of walking and walked every hallway on every floor numerous times a day (when windy or cold).    I noticed that on many of the floors they had replaced hall carpeting and looked really good. 

I noticed that in a couple areas some of the chairs were showing some wear.  

The only problem we had was the bedroom thermostat didn't seem to be functioning properly and the first night it was VERY chilly.    The next day I reported it and an engineer was up within a couple hours checking it out.   I found a circuit breaker had tripped and reset it.   Was perfect for the reminder of the cruise.  

I would have no qualms sailing on her again.     Just my opinion. 

We were last on the Infiniti in 2013 and it was a good cruise for two weeks. The only time that we've been sick on 26 cruises is on older Celebrity ships Horizon and Mercury when they were near the end of life with Celebrity.

The duct system after 15 plus years running 24 hours per day has things in it that I don't want to breathe. Most everything else can be cleaned and painted but the ducts much less so.

I'd just point out that the Original Poster was going to take a cruise in Feb 2019.....and it's now May 2019 and we are still responding.

I'm going to go see if there's a Celebrity Galaxy question that we can resurrect.....

Edited by ghstudio
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

I'd just point out that the Original Poster was going to take a cruise in Feb 2019.....and it's now May 2019 and we are still responding.

I'm going to go see if there's a Celebrity Galaxy question that we can resurrect.....

Glad you decided to join in. Others are posting to follow on questions by other posters. 

Edited by davekathy

we have been on the infinity many times....we were on the cruise where the fuel tender hit the lifeboat in the falklands...we left it behind....fast forward a year...we're on the infinity again out of southampton, I think....asked when they got the lifeboat back.....answer: today!  One year.  It's an older ship and it has the same good/bad issues as almost all ships of that age.  Yes, you see some rust, there are some dirty corners/tiles...some of the furniture is pretty worn....but It's as comfortable as your golf club, etc....  Things work...sometimes not perfectly.....things are broken and they get fixed or patched.  But that happens on new ships with a year on them as well.  We see rust on the S-class ships..worn furniture, etc.  It's a ship....it has a great friendly crew....and it takes you effortlessly to fascinating places.  We have no qualms at all about going on any Celebrity ship....we go where the itinerary is interesting and the price is reasonable. (note: we will be B2B on the constellation next month....almost the same age as the infinity, I think).  After that, no more celebrity cruises booked...and that's a combination of, yes, the same itineraries being offered and the prices.  We have cruises booked on Princess (2), HAL (1) and Oceania (1)...nothing on Celebrity.

As far as the Infinity...for those asking more recent questions....if you want brand spanking new...book on the Edge..pay the premium price for the french balconies.  If you want a nice cruise to interesting ports...I'd have no reservations about recommending the infinity to my friends....and get a real balcony cabin 🙂

Edited by ghstudio

22 hours ago, DanL said:

We were last on the Infiniti in 2013 and it was a good cruise for two weeks. The only time that we've been sick on 26 cruises is on older Celebrity ships Horizon and Mercury when they were near the end of life with Celebrity.

The duct system after 15 plus years running 24 hours per day has things in it that I don't want to breathe. Most everything else can be cleaned and painted but the ducts much less so.

That's always our concern with a refurbed ship..I wonder how they clean those vents and how often.?

.Our last Inf cruise cabin in AQ class  had ongoing A/C issues Maint comes fairly quicky..even  very late at night... but it sure gets tiresome if you have these issues.  Down the hall   had sewer issues.

That said we are booked on the refurbed Summit..The itin along US east coast and Bermuda was too good,  to not take a chance..

And not every cabin  has issues...just more likely on older ships.  Luck of the draw...

On 4/19/2018 at 5:33 PM, NyYankees2k3 said:

Hello,

I am trying to plan a short cruise 3-4 nights in February 2019. I've been on about 15+ cruises. Mostly NCL, then Princess, RCCL, and a few Carnival. I love going on NCL, and enjoyed Princess. I am a fan of larger ships with more action, and newer boats.

My question is the following. Right now for that time frame what works for me is either

1) Celebrity Infinity

2) NCL Sky (been on it before, not bad for a tiny no frills ship), I do have Platinum on NCL

3) RCCL Mariner of the seas (I was on the Navigator when it was first launched, so I know that format, also been on Oasis, and Freedom)

The reason for me posting is right now, I can't decide if the Celebrity Infinity will be too old / date of a ship, after reading a lot of bad reviews? Anyone have any thoughts? If we went on it, with their promotion, I would basically get a balcony for the same price as an inside on the SKY and inside on the Mariner. We normally do Balcony, and already have a trip planned later this year, but trying to do a "budget" cruise.

Thanks for your input

Hey, was on Infinity last November and it was lovely. Food was a little hit or miss but mostly fine. Never really saw much wear and tear. I would do that ship again only now it’s down to a 4 night itinerary. We had a great cruise!  Enjoy what ever one you choose. Happy cruising!