Celebrity Infinity - Questions, Should I go on it? (reviews are bad?)

NyYankees2k3

M-class ships often get bad reviews these days, mainly because people have unrealistic expectations or are unnecessarily fussy. Our last 3 cruises have been on M-class and all were wonderful.

Quite simply some guests do not do do any homework. They board with a ‘vision’ in their head that may or may not match reality....

When we were on the Summit there was a fellow Michael’s guest who complained that there was no slide on the ship for his grandson to enjoy. Quite what he expected the Michael’s Club host to do about it I have no idea! Recently on Eclipse we overheard a guest asking about the ice show and being very surprised they didn’t have one!

If you do take the trouble to research a cruise (itinerary, ship layout, ship facilities....) then read reviews with a critical eye you generally will board with enough knowledge to enjoy the ship’s positives! Your expectations will be realistic and you will enjoy fully!

You have stated that you are looking for a budget cruise.

You are also aware that it is a older ship so then you are prepared that it will not be as modern as the Edge and may have some rough areas. If you are looking for a amusement park it won’t suit you because it is a classy vintage ship that may show a few battle scars that were earned by all the good times that people enjoyed on her.

Actually if you go expecting a run down scowl you will be disappointed as soon as you walk on and discover that it isn’t and find it to be a jewel instead. Just don’t take a jewelers loop looking for imperfections.

I have two “budget” type cruises booked on the Infinity, one in Oct 18 and one in Mar 2019 and I am postive that I will get more value than what it cost compared to other cruises. That is why I booked them. They were both add ons to other cruises since they were bargains and we would still be in Fl without having to make a special trip.

The itinerary isn’t the greatest for either but it doesn’t matter because I will be on a ship doing another cruise.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

I think you have your answer right there.

The Infinity is a smaller, older ship with a laid back ambiance.

I would not recommend it to someone who is looking for more action.

The Infinity has no amusement park rides, no water slides, no flow rider or climbing walls, no ice skating rink, no zip line, no belly flop or hairy leg/chest contests, no announcements blaring at you throughout the day to remind you that bingo or the world's greatest jewelry sale is starting.

As the saying goes, different strokes.........

Agree, if the OP wants more action, then they would be best on Mariner.

The smaller ships can be more sociable. Didn't we meet on the Infinity ;p ?

But, having sailed on both the Mariner and Infinity I would also say that the OP would be best on Mariner.

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2018 at 9:12 AM, KikisDad said:

Don't worry about the ships age, Celebrity maintains its ships well. Infinity has been updated several times. You should try Celebrity, food and service are a cut above NCL and Royal. We will be on Infinity in September for our third time.

How did it go on Infinity? I've read bad reviews about the condition of the bathrooms.

9 minutes ago, fuzzycat1 said:

How did it go on Infinity? I've read bad reviews about the condition of the bathrooms.

We've been on the Infinity twice. 2017 and 2018. No issues or complaints with the public bathrooms or our stateroom bathroom(s). We would never book or not book an itinerary or ship based on someones reviews or experiences positive or negative. 

Edited by davekathy

We have been on the Infinity a couple of times and have always enjoyed our cruises on her, I like the M class ships. 

We are possibly one of the few X cc's who also like the short (3 day cruise) as they fit in with a weekend break. Yes they are not your typical 7+ day cruise but are a great get away. We have done a 3 day X cruise (on the Silhouette - S class) which we thoroughly enjoyed, and also do short breaks on other cruise lines (P&O, Princess - UK sailings).

We always go looking for a great cruise / holiday and have never been disappointed. Are there things not quite as we would have wished - yes aren't there always in one form or another, but never sufficient to ever make us think we would not do this again.

On 4/22/2018 at 8:54 AM, villauk said:

Just to clarify ------- It's a snooze fest for anyone under 55 IMHO.  

8 minutes ago, downsmead said:

We have been on the Infinity a couple of times and have always enjoyed our cruises on her, I like the M class ships. 

We are possibly one of the few X cc's who also like the short (3 day cruise) as they fit in with a weekend break. Yes they are not your typical 7+ day cruise but are a great get away. We have done a 3 day X cruise (on the Silhouette - S class) which we thoroughly enjoyed, and also do short breaks on other cruise lines (P&O, Princess - UK sailings).

We always go looking for a great cruise / holiday and have never been disappointed. Are there things not quite as we would have wished - yes aren't there always in one form or another, but never sufficient to ever make us think we would not do this again.

Having just got off a mini cruise last week on Silhouette, I can only say that it’s nothing like the usual X offerings. I’m not really into sailing with large groups and stag and hen parties, so not really our cup of tea. But as you say, each to their own. 

N.b. This is an old thread from April 2018.

Was not impressed with infinity did a back to back 4 then 5 day cruise 2 months ago ,  first 4 days we had a celebrity suite which had lots of problems worst suite we ever had, last 5 days we had a smaller sky suite that was fine. Entertainment was ok, second part was a charter with great entertainment. Suite dinning room and suite lounge were both outstanding.

Just off a 5 day cruise in March on the Infinity.  No issues what so ever IMHO.  Yes, the Infinity is an older M Class ship but she was in great condition.  The staff was very good and I don't recall anything that would prevent me from booking another cruise on her again.

We had 2 nice AQ Class cruises on Infinity, one ABC Islands, one Pacific Coastal..  One cabin had no issues while the  other cabin had a moldy bathroom shower,  several A/C failures in the room and hallway....and  sewage smell down the hall.

Ship is older, and dated but has its own charm. If you are lucky,  it will be great with no issues. I am confusing all the renovations going in,,.when is its renovation date?  

3 minutes ago, wpgcycler said:

But now "Revolutionized" 😉.

That's what I thought...sorry I missed it was an older thread..oops!

Really confused lately by the reno schedule.....so now Millie, Infinity and Summit are done,  and they are working on Equinox in Cadiz, to the extent they can with the time constraints?  What's next?

8 minutes ago, hcat said:

That's what I thought...sorry I missed it was an older thread..oops!

Really confused lately by the reno schedule.....so now Millie, Infinity and Summit are done,  and they are working on Equinox in Cadiz, to the extent they can with the time constraints?  What's next?

Don't believe so - I was referring to the renovated and revitalized thread.

I noticed the thread's age, too, but thought "why discriminate against older threads?"  They may be a little long in the tooth, or need updating, but you can generally have a pleasant read, and they do get "brought back to life" occasionally.😉

For what it's worth, my favorite ship ever was 35 years old when I first sailed on her, and 41 years old the last time.  (Last time only because she was taken out of service.)

Sailed on all the M class ships, and almost all the S class ships.  I like some parts of each class better than other parts.  With the two renovations over the years (Solstice-ization and Revolution-ization)  I still find benefits of each class of ships.  Infinity was our first Celebrity cruise nearly 18 years ago, and we've returned 4 or 5 times over the years, and wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again.

As far as condition, I've heard about smells in hallways, moldy showers and rust on the hull of nearly every ship I've been on- closing in on 40 or so cruises- and really have to shake my head. You are on the water, and things rust, mold grows, and holding tanks fill. (I prefer that to dumping off of the coast!)

I grew up with small boats, sailing the coast of New England, and boats take constant attention...so I fully expect issues to happen on a ship, and then for the crew to address them.  Asking for a ship that sails 365 days a year to be rust free is like living on a dirt road, and expecting never to have dust on your car...

Happy sailing.

Edited by Blazerboy

We enjoyed the Infinity.....also had Halloween onboard  in Aruba..great party.

But if the AC  that breaks down  is yours,  or you have the bad luck sewer smells,  that's hard to ignore.

Can happen on a new ship too but after our  next cruise on Summit,  we are sticking with S and E Class...unless the itinerary is a "must do".

We just got off from the TA.   No worries.  I was also concerned but the ship is in great shape.  I have only sailed the S class ships and was a bit worried.  Yes some of the areas need to be updated but that is only in scheme, not in maintenance.  I didn't see any worn upholstery etc.  I think the pool loungers were even new.  The major issue is the ship needs to be painted.  There are many rust spots but if you realize that, you will be fine.   After all, you are at sea.

• Like 1

Can't answer your question, as I have never been on Infinity or even on a Celebrity cruise. But, I have a 14 day transatlantic booked for October 2019. I have been on many Royal Caribbean cruises, and sailed on many of their ships. I am happy on their oldest and smallest ships, as well as on their larger and newer ones. Can't wait to try Celebrity! I am sure we will love the Infinity.

7 minutes ago, nyllrap said:

Can't answer your question, as I have never been on Infinity or even on a Celebrity cruise. But, I have a 14 day transatlantic booked for October 2019. I have been on many Royal Caribbean cruises, and sailed on many of their ships. I am happy on their oldest and smallest ships, as well as on their larger and newer ones. Can't wait to try Celebrity! I am sure we will love the Infinity.

Fantastic attitude. Judge for yourself. We would never book a cruise or itinerary based on someones experiences or opinions positive or negative. We've cruised on the Infinity twice and both times have been equally positive. But then again that's just my opinion. :classic_wink:

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 8:06 PM, davekathy said:

Fantastic attitude. Judge for yourself. We would never book a cruise or itinerary based on someones experiences or opinions positive or negative. We've cruised on the Infinity twice and both times have been equally positive. But then again that's just my opinion. :classic_wink:

Thanks! Glad to find someone who likes the Infinity. If I am sailing, I am happy. I love the simple things...reading and looking at the ocean, eating a meal, having a martini, walking around the deck. 

Jim_Iain  did a "live from" while on their TA  aboard Infinity last month.  They are very seasoned cruisers and didn't complain about anything IIRC.

You will find his thread on this board on Page 7, scroll down to their B2B on Infinity, about half way down the page