Harvest Caye -- beach or stay on Getaway?

cruisegal415

We're on the Getaway in August, I have tried researching Harvest Caye and Belize by doing a search on these boards, but I haven't really seen my questions answered. DH and I are in our early 60's, do not like to zip line, walk through a forest, do cave tubing, we don't scuba, snorkel or do anything besides hang out on the beach eat and drink. We are not interested in seeing ruins or sightseeing.Yes we are lazy.

The ship excursions that allow a beach day charge $699 for a beach villa. I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. There are only two of us and I'm not paying $350 for a place to sit on the beach.

I'm doing all inclusive beach days at Maya Chan and either Nachi or Paradise in Cozumel. Didn't see anything similar being offered anywhere near Harvest Caye. From my research it appears we would have to take a long ferry or airplane to go to Placencia Village if we wanted to go to a beach for the day, but I haven't found any resorts that offer day passes. We can't be the only lazy ones who want a lazy beach day, can we? Is it not possible to do that on Harvest Caye?

You can rent a clamshell shelter on the beach for $39 through the excursion desk, unsheltered lounges are free. Harvest Caye also has a big swimming pool with a swim up bar. Be aware that you will pay for all eats and drinks while on the island. The ship berths a distance from the beach, however, they have a shuttle that will take you to the shopping area adjacent to the beach. It is very pretty.

We're on the Getaway in August, I have tried researching Harvest Caye and Belize by doing a search on these boards, but I haven't really seen my questions answered. DH and I are in our early 60's, do not like to zip line, walk through a forest, do cave tubing, we don't scuba, snorkel or do anything besides hang out on the beach eat and drink. We are not interested in seeing ruins or sightseeing.Yes we are lazy.

The ship excursions that allow a beach day charge $699 for a beach villa. I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. There are only two of us and I'm not paying $350 for a place to sit on the beach.

I'm doing all inclusive beach days at Maya Chan and either Nachi or Paradise in Cozumel. Didn't see anything similar being offered anywhere near Harvest Caye. From my research it appears we would have to take a long ferry or airplane to go to Placencia Village if we wanted to go to a beach for the day, but I haven't found any resorts that offer day passes. We can't be the only lazy ones who want a lazy beach day, can we? Is it not possible to do that on Harvest Caye?

There is PLENTY of space on Harvest Caye to spread out and relax. The only reason to want to pay for a Clamshell on beach is for Shade. There are poolside umbrellas set up but it's got to be a fast trek off at port time for your party to get a group of loungers with an umbrella poolside.

At HC, you eat and drink on your own dime no matter at pool or beach. For just the two of you, as your message strikes me, go with the flow. Sometimes the weather is not a giant sunball, in which case just any lounger will do. If its a sunball, well, then see what you can do to locate shade options because the sun is awfully hot.

You surely do not have to spend the entire day on HC, you can stretch you legs, check out the island beach and pool and other details and enjoy the ship in port too...and hopefully find some shade if needed to stay comfortable.

Fill your yeti cup with a pain killer or three on the ship. Head to the beach for an hour or two, cool off in the pool and hit the ship for lunch. Its not a big place, the beach is ok, the pool was fun.

We had someone bring a beach ball to the pool and get a massive game of... dont let it hit the water. It was pretty fun with like 50 people.

Here's a bunch of photos of Harvest Caye. I would at least get off the ship and take a look at the place. As said, free loungers on the beach, free nice pools, indoor air conditioned eating/drinking place. Should at least check it out...then maybe back to the ship.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPUiN7GQox-kvmrjeqSfk1Um16cj1DytxsG7Dc

I would say get off the ship.........the pool had a great atmosphere and the beach was really nice too. Not a lot of shade but like others said there are umbrellas that you could use. It's a pretty convenient beach day really and if you aren't having a good time just turn around and get back on the ship.

If you just want a beach day, Harvest Caye delivers. It is an expansive beach, with tons of lounges, and it is easy to find shade. It also has a very nice pool and several restaurants and shops . The only downside is that you need to pay for food and drink. However, there is always the option to go back to the ship for lunch. The walk from the ship to the island is approximately ten minutes, and the walkway is shaded. My husband thought it much nicer than Stirrup Key. We were there last month while and enjoyed it very much. The fact that no tender is involved is also a plus.

You can do a lazy beach day for free on Harvest Cay. Get off the ship, find a lounge chair, done!

There is another thread about Harvest Caye where a poster says that it is difficult to find a lounge unless you are one of the first off the ship. This was not our experience. We were on the Dawn so that might have something to do with it, but I doubt it. If you just keep on walking (yes, another five minutes!) you will find loads of empty lounges. The end of the beach is practically deserted, but there was a bar and a restroom nearby (and who can ask for anything more?)

If you decide to get off the ship, there is no need to "rent" anything. Walk around, take a dip in the water....whatever you like. If you don't want to do that, stay on the ship...you paid to use the ship, so get your money's worth!

We liked Harvest Caye when we were there in September. Our only issues were (1) no bars had diet soda, and (2) the drinks we ended up getting were horrible.

Not sure if they have diet now but three different bars in Sept said they don’t carry diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we plan to get off briefly this fall just to see it, but i dont see any point of laying by a pool where i have to pay for food and drink when 100 yards away there is a pool on the ship where its all free. but that's just me.

ive also heard the beach there is very murky and the water isnt very clear - but that could be just some people's opinoins, i want to get off and see for myself.

we plan to get off briefly this fall just to see it, but i dont see any point of laying by a pool where i have to pay for food and drink when 100 yards away there is a pool on the ship where its all free. but that's just me.

ive also heard the beach there is very murky and the water isnt very clear - but that could be just some people's opinoins, i want to get off and see for myself.

We were there when it first opened and found the beach to be nice. Unfortunately half way through the day it started pouring so we headed back to the ship. We are beach people and enjoyed our time there.

My husband and I had no idea what it was like when we were there in Feb just planned on getting off the ship for awhile and walking around a bit. We end up on loungers on the beach with an umbrella (lots of umbrellas available for free) and stayed for 4 hours. Had we planned ahead we would have filled our insulated cups while on the ship and brought our books to read. There was a nice breeze coming off the water so it didn't get terribly hot and fun to watch the zipliners come right over the water. When we go back in Jan we will stay longer. And they do have a shuttle to and from the ship. Enjoy!

We liked Harvest Caye when we were there in September. Our only issues were (1) no bars had diet soda, and (2) the drinks we ended up getting were horrible.

Not sure if they have diet now but three different bars in Sept said they don’t carry diet.

In December, I found diet soda at the bar I went to.

We visited Harvest Cayenne in March, 2018. We are in our early 70s and have cruised 40+ times over the years. It was a pleasant surprise, with an immaculate, pristine beach, and fabulous pool. Lounge chairs around the pool are covered, food service is provided, and there are misters everywhere. the pool has a swim up bar. All is very convenient. This is the first time we chose not to even go to the beach as it was so comfortable around the pool. You cannot take food or drink from the ship, and it must be purchased there.

there were 8 of us on our last cruise; 6 did go to Harvest and said it is really lovely but for us, it just wasn't worth the hassle. Two of them used walkers and said there was a lot of waling and using a walker wasn't the easiest thing. Nothing seems to be free, like you we do not do most of the excursions offered and by not going to the island, we have the ship almost to ourselves. It is just as easy to sit by the pool than to sit by the beach; it is easy to get a free drink, so why would we want to pay for one, and less expensive to have free food than buy food. Sometimes it is just fun to stay behind.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We visited Harvest Cayenne in March, 2018. We are in our early 70s and have cruised 40+ times over the years. It was a pleasant surprise, with an immaculate, pristine beach, and fabulous pool. Lounge chairs around the pool are covered, food service is provided, and there are misters everywhere. the pool has a swim up bar. All is very convenient. This is the first time we chose not to even go to the beach as it was so comfortable around the pool. You cannot take food or drink from the ship, and it must be purchased there.

This is the first post I have read that says you can't take drinks from the ship, several other posters have said they've filled up their Yeti cups and taken bottles of beer with them! Has anyone recently had this experience? Yay or nay with the booze from the ship? Also do they take credit cards on Harvest Caye or cash only?

This is the first post I have read that says you can't take drinks from the ship, several other posters have said they've filled up their Yeti cups and taken bottles of beer with them! Has anyone recently had this experience? Yay or nay with the booze from the ship? Also do they take credit cards on Harvest Caye or cash only?

They do take credit cards. Any while in port the rules are 'No Beverages off the Ship" NCL sells as much bottled water as they can while in port.

I'd suggest that you are OK to take beverages off the ship in HC. No one is checking while going off. Getting back on is another story.