Two foodie Oceania Loyalists coming to X for the first time

aardogfsu

we stay in moderate cabins, nothing special that entitles us to special dining affairs.

I would have to disagree with the post that says oceania isnt twice the price of celebrity. As a value cruise hunter I look at the per day cost of being on a cruise...I booked our Alaskan celebrity cruise for around $60/day. Our Oceania was around $185/day. Quite a difference. Just today we booked a Crystal Symphony cruise on December 2nd for $198 a day...been following them for a while and had to jump at that price...so here's a new question...Oceania dining vs Crystal...who wins out on that one? :)

we stay in moderate cabins, nothing special that entitles us to special dining affairs.

I would have to disagree with the post that says oceania isnt twice the price of celebrity. As a value cruise hunter I look at the per day cost of being on a cruise...I booked our Alaskan celebrity cruise for around $60/day. Our Oceania was around $185/day. Quite a difference. Just today we booked a Crystal Symphony cruise on December 2nd for $198 a day...been following them for a while and had to jump at that price...so here's a new question...Oceania dining vs Crystal...who wins out on that one? :)

Switched to Crystal after 13 Oceania cruises and yes it is a big upward jump.

The food is not only better but served much more beautifully and professionally. You will also love the many many amenities on Crystal. It’s just about perfect.

Enjoy!

YOU might have more luck on the Oceania and/or Crystal forums with that question.

Sound advice, was so excited to have gotten a crystal cruise for under $200/day...had to share. =)

$200 a day might be worth it if you're getting the best. I'll eyeball what they've got for 2019. We've come from Carnival and Royal Caribbean, trying Princess which probably meh, and skip the Oceania step altogether.

$200 a day might be worth it if you're getting the best. I'll eyeball what they've got for 2019. We've come from Carnival and Royal Caribbean, trying Princess which probably meh, and skip the Oceania step altogether.

Didn't you think the food on Celebrity would be too "foo foo" for you? On Crystal you are more likely to get Tuna tartar or an Octopus salad than you are a burger.

Now the Oceania food is inedible. What's happening to our cruising community where you have to book Crystal to get a good burger???

Crystal_Serenity_Tastes_Burgers-1024x683.jpg

:hearteyes:

Doug- here you go again. Nobody implied or said Oceania food is inedible. Are you now going to spread that comment all over your posts too?

The key is you have to look at what you get for what you pay in difference on Oceania. There are many things included in the upfront price that is not on Celebrity. Start with flights, then there is no charge for specialty restaurants, any beverage without alcohol is included, no exceptions. The bed in an inside room on Oceania is more comfortable than a suite bed on Celebrity. Then there is the personal space ratio that you really can't put a dollar value on. Higher food budget, being served in the buffet(no nasty hands touching utensils) No photographers in your face. Better loyalty program, and I'm sure other things I've forgotten.

Not knocking Celebrity, I enjoy cruising on it, but there is a reason Oceania is more expensive.

The key is you have to look at what you get for what you pay in difference on Oceania. There are many things included in the upfront price that is not on Celebrity. Start with flights, then there is no charge for specialty restaurants, any beverage without alcohol is included, no exceptions. The bed in an inside room on Oceania is more comfortable than a suite bed on Celebrity. Then there is the personal space ratio that you really can't put a dollar value on. Higher food budget, being served in the buffet(no nasty hands touching utensils) No photographers in your face. Better loyalty program, and I'm sure other things I've forgotten.

Not knocking Celebrity, I enjoy cruising on it, but there is a reason Oceania is more expensive.

Many tours are included as well.

Many tours are included as well.

That depends on the deal you book. The last one I was looking at had free airfare and internet. Then there were 3 "perks" that we could choose one of. 6 excursions, beverage package, or $600 OBC. I have no idea if they are all like that but this was the deal I was looking at on a 12 day on the Riviera Nov 1st 2018 (price was $4400pp + taxes).

yes we chose the tours and obcs that go toward gratuities...with airfare included, there is nothing else to pay for...cant say that for celebrity...we usually book the lowest inside with Oceania and then do a very reasonable upsell to get a balcony...

yes, I DO know I am off topic...

We’ve now cruised Oceania Riviera 5 times in the last three years, and have dined in Jacques at least a dozen times, and not once have we had pressed lobster in the thermadore. They were large chunks of pure lobster and definitely not ABC meat.

One thing everyone is forgetting is that on O, the specialties are not extra charge like on Celebrity. And, O includes soft drinks, bottled water and their Barista coffee bar is also free. Then you have some included shore excursions and airfare in the price, so you’re getting added things in O’s fares that you don’t get with Celebrity.

Finally, the OP is cruising on Millennium, so isn’t their Murano-type restaurant no longer there? Didn’t they close it and turn it into Tuscan? If so, then all the talk of Murano is moot.

yes we chose the tours and obcs that go toward gratuities...with airfare included, there is nothing else to pay for...cant say that for celebrity...we usually book the lowest inside with Oceania and then do a very reasonable upsell to get a balcony...

Nancyshaw,

Since you have cruised so much on Celebrity and likely have a lot of loyalty perks, did you ever try Azamara? If so how would it compare to Oceania? Price, cabins, food, etc.

Nancyshaw,

Since you have cruised so much on Celebrity and likely have a lot of loyalty perks, did you ever try Azamara? If so how would it compare to Oceania? Price, cabins, food, etc.

we did Azamara once before their prices doubled...it was the best cruise we had ever done...we also did one after the prices doubled and because there was a promo out of California, where everyone paid very little , it was the worst cruise we had ever done. We paid full price but what happened was that because many paid so little, the staff was drastically reduced, the menu totally changed, etc. I think the line lost money on that one.

If the price was right, we would try it again but it does not come with the value laden opportunities that come with Oceania or Viking. No air, no tours, etc. You have to pay for all of it as an extra. As elite plus with Celeb we have many perks, but those are all included with other lines, so no reason to cling to Celeb anymore. We are not ready to pay suite prices to get the benefit of the better dining.

Didn't you think the food on Celebrity would be too "foo foo" for you? On Crystal you are more likely to get Tuna tartar or an Octopus salad than you are a burger.

Nope not for me! I don't do the fancy critters but I'm sure they have a children's menu. I'm like a big kid anyways but don't think I won't enjoy a gourmet burger with Kobe or Wagyu meat on a high end bun.

Doug- here you go again. Nobody implied or said Oceania food is inedible. Are you now going to spread that comment all over your posts too?

Why not? For years I've been putting up with all the folks making endless fun of us on the Carnival forum like they're Nouveau riche and we're the Walmart at sea. I'm not stooping to their level, I'm skipping above it with Crystal.

Karma...

Nope not for me! I don't do the fancy critters but I'm sure they have a children's menu. I'm like a big kid anyways but don't think I won't enjoy a gourmet burger with Kobe or Wagyu meat on a high end bun.

No such thing as Kobe meat burgers/sliders. In addition to costing $30/ounce and being exceedingly rare outside of Japan, Kobe beef is WAY too fatty to be used as ground meat.

we did Azamara once before their prices doubled...it was the best cruise we had ever done...we also did one after the prices doubled and because there was a promo out of California, where everyone paid very little , it was the worst cruise we had ever done. We paid full price but what happened was that because many paid so little, the staff was drastically reduced, the menu totally changed, etc. I think the line lost money on that one.

If the price was right, we would try it again but it does not come with the value laden opportunities that come with Oceania or Viking. No air, no tours, etc. You have to pay for all of it as an extra. As elite plus with Celeb we have many perks, but those are all included with other lines, so no reason to cling to Celeb anymore. We are not ready to pay suite prices to get the benefit of the better dining.

Thanks,

We are thinking of Azamara but it seems very expensive for what is offered. Nice to hear about your experience.

Thanks,

We are thinking of Azamara but it seems very expensive for what is offered. Nice to hear about your experience.

Yes I agree. I think it IS very expensive for what you get. There are other small ship lines that offer you more for what you pay.One of the things we enjoyed about Azamara is the small ship feeling. It was very easy to get to know others if you wanted to. It had that small town feeling, where everyone was friendly and welcoming.

The only difference is you're paying it all upfront with Oceania. You're still paying it.

Yes I agree. I think it IS very expensive for what you get. There are other small ship lines that offer you more for what you pay.One of the things we enjoyed about Azamara is the small ship feeling. It was very easy to get to know others if you wanted to. It had that small town feeling, where everyone was friendly and welcoming.

Azamara 2020 just came out. Crazy expensive. I'll stick to Celebrity.

As well as paying for things you may not either use or be interested in.

This happens on all lines, on Celebrity I'm paying for pools, hot tubs, sun loungers, and production shows which I don't ever use or attend. I'm sure I could think of half a dozen others with a little thought.

What do you think you are paying for on Oceania that you wouldn't on Celebrity?