Are plastic water bottles about to be discontinued on celebrity ships?

Quo Vadis?

Found on another site:

Water Focus Group

FYI - We were 1 of 50 staterooms invited to participate in a water focus group on the Equinox earlier this week. The purpose was to allow guests to voice their opinion regarding Celebrity eliminating all plastic water bottles onboard. Currently a water filtration system and reusable bottle refill station is being tested in the crew area on the Equinox.

Wow, I just commented about how much trash those produce on another site! I think it totally makes since. Maybe instead of the tote bag they can put a reusable X water container in the rooms until everyone has one! I think some ports will ban the disposable water bottles from coming off ships eventually anyway.

I hope not. This should be a personal choice. Make available for people who want to do this, but don’t force this on people who for health and other reasons don’t.

Other than health reasons, what "other reasons" did you have in mind?

The problems of worldwide use and disposal of single use plastics seems so significant that maybe in some situations it needs to no longer be a matter personal choice. I'm sure Celebrity can work a solution out - reusable good quality water bottles seem to be available in every shop these days for a £ or 2. Companies are also looking at edible /biodegradable containers for water. I would have thought it was pretty easy for a ship to set up a fast water filling station and even a personal reusable water bottle cleaning facility. Remove the barriers so people find it so easy to ditch the plastic.

I'm surprised that ships and hotels haven't moved over to larger soap dispensers in rooms / cabins and done away with all those little plastic bottles and tubes. You can still fill dispensers with good quality lotions.

Edited by DYKWIA

I've noticed recently that many hotels and conference venues have started to provide fresh water in large clear dispensers (with taps) in their lobbies and meeting rooms. Glasses (either paper, plastic or glass) are provided for guests to help themselves. As long as the containers are cleaned regularly, this might be the way to go....

Not to anyone in particular: Health is a big one: keeping those bottles clean, keeping the refill spigot clean (some people don't wash their hands after the toilet, how will they treat these?), Sensitivity to different minerals and tastes of water for those who have immunity and other issues, dehydration, sharing bottles, noro containnent. Convenience, lines for refill, emergencies, personal choice, luxury. Probably dozens more. Use them if you want, just don't force me to. And if you feel so strongly about the environment, as to impose this on me, ships are gas guzzlers - how do you reconcile that?

Not to anyone in particular: Health is a big one: keeping those bottles clean, keeping the refill spigot clean (some people don't wash their hands after the toilet, how will they treat these?), Sensitivity to different minerals and tastes of water for those who have immunity and other issues, dehydration, sharing bottles, noro containnent. Convenience, lines for refill, emergencies, personal choice, luxury. Probably dozens more. Use them if you want, just don't force me to. And if you feel so strongly about the environment, as to impose this on me, ships are gas guzzlers - how do you reconcile that?

Cruise ships are about 15 passenger miles per gallon - so not too different from a car ( mine is currently doing 28 - )

Interesting! We have water bottle refill stations all over my campus at work. I use them all the time. They are the hands free kind.

One of my complaints at sea would be how to clean the water bottle daily to avoid bacteria growth. Next, if the gave everyone a water bottle-would it have the manufacturing remnants cleaned off and be ready? Lines to use?

Many of the cheap bottles leak Like crazy.

Interesting! We have water bottle refill stations all over my campus at work. I use them all the time. They are the hands free kind.

One of my complaints at sea would be how to clean the water bottle daily to avoid bacteria growth. Next, if the gave everyone a water bottle-would it have the manufacturing remnants cleaned off and be ready? Lines to use?

Many of the cheap bottles leak Like crazy.

Geez, I can’t remember the last time I washed my gym water bottle and I don’t seem to have any bacterial growth issues.....empty it and you’ll be fine.

Geez, I can’t remember the last time I washed my gym water bottle and I don’t seem to have any bacterial growth issues.....empty it and you’ll be fine.

Errr - no. The bacteria that grows in some of them is really disgusting. For someone with a compromised immune system, washing with soap and water regularly isn’t an option, it is a requirement. No different than washing hands, cleaning the screen and case of the phone, keyboards, etc. I’m not saying use an autoclave, but washing it is basic.

...Use them if you want, just don't force me to. And if you feel so strongly about the environment, as to impose this on me, ships are gas guzzlers - how do you reconcile that?

The "whatabouts" position in any argument IMHO is generally a weak one and usually an excuse to adopt the "do nothing" position - You have to start somewhere. Fuel consumption by all forms of transport is serious but not relevant to single use plastic is it?

Cruise ships have other environmental factors that I think in time they will need to look at seriously, such as Food Miles (the worst case I can recall was a on a BA flight from LA to LAX. About an hour before landing in LA they gave us a small pot of Ice Cream from LA - to feed me that small pot of rubbish BA flew it from LA to London and back again)

The "whatabouts" position in any argument IMHO is generally a weak one and usually an excuse to adopt the "do nothing" position - You have to start somewhere. Fuel consumption by all forms of transport is serious but not relevant to single use plastic is it?

Cruise ships have other environmental factors that I think in time they will need to look at seriously, such as Food Miles (the worst case I can recall was a on a BA flight from LA to LAX. About an hour before landing in LA they gave us a small pot of Ice Cream from LA - to feed me that small pot of rubbish BA flew it from LA to London and back again)

What? Huh?

I'm good with reusable (like we do at home). I've never seen a hands free water station. How do you stop people from putting the bottle opening right up against the refill spicket?

Recess the spout and use some form of proximity detection to turn the tap on - very easy

I'm not good at imagining things. Even with a recessed spout, aren't some people still Going to touch their water bottle to the spout.

It makes me think about the people who put their lips right above or directly on the metal spout of a water fountain.

It looks like a good idea.

If I don’t want to carry around a water bottle or fear of it getting contaminated I will drink more beer. Maybe they should start giving free refills for that if I bring my own container.

Drink up 🍺🍻🍸🍹🍷🍾🥂

One other thought ships water aka filtered sea water is also not good for everyone either. It is no replacement for a good mineral water of which one should drinking 3 Liters a day.

While I agree not doing anything is not an option but simply replacing it with ships tap water is a no go too. That is basically „dead“ water - sorry for the lack of a better word

One other thought ships water aka filtered sea water is also not good for everyone either. It is no replacement for a good mineral water of which one should drinking 3 Liters a day.

While I agree not doing anything is not an option but simply replacing it with ships tap water is a no go too. That is basically „dead“ water - sorry for the lack of a better word

Just wrong: After desalination, the water is passed through a mineralization plant, which adds minerals. This is necessary because the healthy minerals naturally found in drinking water have been removed by desalination. At this stage, the water is also checked for impurities, sanitized, and the pH is corrected. The water is then sent to massive storage tanks on board the cruise ship.