Are plastic water bottles about to be discontinued on celebrity ships?

Quo Vadis?

I hope not. This should be a personal choice. Make available for people who want to do this, but don’t force this on people who for health and other reasons don’t.

I agree. There needs to be bottled water available for those who want it, especially at the bars in the evening. They have glass bottles of sparking water, I’d rather see them switch to glass bottles of spring water than not have it as an option.

Vickie

I agree. There needs to be bottled water available for those who want it, especially at the bars in the evening. They have glass bottles of sparking water, I’d rather see them switch to glass bottles of spring water than not have it as an option.

Vickie

I suspect that if there is a worldwide push against single use plastic the likes of Evian, Perrier and so on will need to some up with practical delivery alternatives or risk going out of business.

Globally, bottled water sales really took off about 30 years ago before that, certainly in the UK, bottled water was less popular and I think unheard of at our family dining table in the 1970s - we drank tap water.

I wonder how often housekeeping walks into a room and sees partially drank water bottles lined up. Most have a beverage package where they are "free", so just grab another cold one. My prediction: if this does become reality, they will remove bottle water from beverage packages, and lower the cost of the package by a couple of dollars (raise it 6 months later). Bottles will still be available at an extra cost. This will reduce expenses, create a new income source, and protect the environment. Most important people will have a choice. Because if they don't their high value passengers won't be happy.

Haha...you are probably correct on that prediction!

In AQ, we will use our bottles up before opening another.

I am on the fence with this. :( Sure, I agree that there is so much waste with the plastic bottles, not to mention the environment damage, but there are reasons that we like the bottled water on a cruise.

BTW - We do not used bottled water at home. We have a filtered water container to use with our tap water.

One other thought ships water aka filtered sea water is also not good for everyone either. It is no replacement for a good mineral water of which one should drinking 3 Liters a day.

That's why we like the beverage package bottled waters. I, along with several others on this forum, have figured out that the filtered water still has too much salt. That, along with some of the salty food, make my ankles swell when were cruising. Once we started drinking only the bottled water (and cutting out salty sauces), my problem has disappeared.

Includes the premium water like Evian?

That's my question! Can I assume that we will still continue to get the Premium water in the dining rooms?

I've often wondered if the Evian bottles (or the other bottled water if on a Classic Package) are being filled with the filtered ship water and then served to passengers. I try to notice if the bottle is being freshly opened, but sometimes the server will bring a bottle that is partially used (large Evian bottles.) If using the Classic Package water, it's easier to tell that it's an unopened bottle. One bottle will fill 2 glasses at the table.

It looks like a good idea.

If I don’t want to carry around a water bottle...

And this is the other reason that we prefer the bottled water to be available when needed, without having to worry about keeping up with a metal or plastic water bottle. And those are normally larger than we would prefer to carry around for shore excursions.

So it will be interesting how the study goes. Should we have a choice which option to choose...probably! ;)

My prediction: if this does become reality, they will remove bottle water from beverage packages, and lower the cost of the package by a couple of dollars (raise it 6 months later). Bottles will still be available at an extra cost. This will reduce expenses, create a new income source, and protect the environment. Most important people will have a choice. Because if they don't their high value passengers won't be happy.

LOWER the cost? LOL! They are more likely going to raise the cost - claiming that those refillable cups are costing them money.

And now that you guys have educated me on these refill stations (thank you! Education is a good thing), I'm all for it.

I've always wondered why they never put up recycling bins next to the garbage.

On a recent “behind-the-scenes” tour on the Equinox, they showed us the ship’s recycling center on Deck 1. I asked the recycling manager the same question you posed and he said that they hand-sort all of the garbage to separate out plastic, glass, etc. He implied that =X= wasn’t confident they could count on pax to keep garbage and recyclables separate on their own. It didn’t seem very efficient to me.

I think its great they are looking for ways to cut down on plastic, if they provide bottles and had multiple filing stations on each deck, I would order less bottled water. Perhaps they could start small and discourage use of plastic straws like Azamara.

I've often wondered if the Evian bottles (or the other bottled water if on a Classic Package) are being filled with the filtered ship water and then served to passengers. ;)

I like to think that Celebrity wouldn't be so foolish to do that - something like that (fraud) could be ruinous to a company's reputation and could result in major legal action

On a recent “behind-the-scenes” tour on the Equinox, they showed us the ship’s recycling center on Deck 1. ...

I was recently watching an Alan Whicker documentary on a 1980s World Cruise on Cunard's QE2. (The video can be found on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alan+whicker+qe2). During the cruise there is a water leak and one of the restaurant's carpets is ruined. What do they do with scrap carpet - heave it into the ocean! How times have changed. It's a fascinating documentary which equally focuses on life of the crew - mainly British, boxing fights, and wild nights during an overnight in Thailand.

Interesting. Our Community Center gym just installed these and I immediately thought a cruise ship would be the perfect venue for them. We travel with 4 collapsible water bottles and a travel size bottle of dish soap and it has always bothered me that it is so hard to fill them before leaving the ship (pouring multiple glasses of water into them and hoping I don't make a total mess (I have). Washing them out is easy. We drink water in a glass on the ship but have succumbed to taking off the plastic bottles for excursions because of the convenience. I am all for it but would be amenable to at least giving passengers a choice.

I think I read that Royal Caribbean is eliminating straws. I can only support this move if they provide an alternative to the plastic straws and stirrers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vickie

We never have the ship's water. For some reason it makes my legs balloon so I have never tried it since and avoid and buy bottled water. It really frightened me once --- just one of those things.

Have no problem at all buying water in glass bottles and am 100% behind the drive to get rid of the plastic contamination that threatens our oceans.

I just hope that the cruise lines remember that not everyone wants to use / can use the ship's water.

PS Re straws --- it'll be like the old days when they were made from paper and went all soggy ;-)

Cruise ships are about 15 passenger miles per gallon - so not too different from a car ( mine is currently doing 28 - )

According to the files 10q statements of the major cruise line companies, they spend about $15 per passenger day for fuel, compared to $12 for food.

Depending upon cost of bunker fuel your number would be in the ballpark at about 80 cents per gallon.

We stepped off the Summit this morning after an 8 night repo itinerary. The tap water was absolutely undrinkable. The musty smell was overwhelming before you could even take a sip. There is no possible way we could’ve drank the water from the tap. Some people did, I don’t know how, the smell alone made us gag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really like the idea of having refill stations like many airports are doing these days, but as other's have mentioned would be concerned over the quality of the water coming through...especially the saline factor. As it is, we always take the bottles of water and refill our Nalgenes with them. We travel everywhere with our Nalgenes and since we usually throw all our waters into one bag for ports, it makes it a lot easier to tell whose water is whose when we are on the go. Using a refill station would be much handier and feel less wasteful.

I have posted this a few times and pointed it out to many

Evian backwards is naive. Do you think that is what they are trying to tell us?

Why are peopled concerned about sea water being processed? The astronauts drink water from much worse and so did the troops in Vietnam.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I have a very well traveled Contigo bottle that was just replaced this afternoon because the straw attachment was failing and leaking and I utilized a refillable water bottle almost every day of the week of work and rehearsals. I use the refillable stations where ever I see them, however sometimes they are not cold, and I worry about this in places like the pool deck. I also worry about only having one bottle to take off the ship in places like Mexico where I will not drink the bottled water available on shore. I usually make sure I take two bottles off the ship with me on those days. I just purchased my drink package for the Equinox in August and I drink quite a few bottles of water (and always do my best to locate the recycling bin when I finish them) every day so it makes the package worth it for me! I don't mind toting my bottle around but I would hope they provide a low cost bottle to those who don't have one, and they offer a refund for part of my drink package cost since it is part of the reason I buy the package if I will no longer be able to get water!

What? Huh?

I'm good with reusable (like we do at home). I've never seen a hands free water station. How do you stop people from putting the bottle opening right up against the refill spicket?

Our refill system st work will not fill the bottle unless it is sitting on the base.

Frankly, this is long overdue.

For those of you that missed the news, China has been the largest purchaser of recyclable materials for years, including plastic bottles. As of January, they've stopped buying plastic bottles. It now looks like a number of countries will be forced to incinerate water bottles. If that holds true, it's almost inevitable that many European countries (first), will start banning single use plastic water bottles; the rest of the developed world will likely follow suit.

These systems are all over the place. They're post security in many airports. Our gym has one. You place your water bottle on the base, and a light activated sensor starts filling the bottle with filtered water. When it's full, you remove the bottle. No plastic waste, no fuss, no cross contamination. I would suspect that on a cruise ship they'd need to add bottle washing stations somewhere as no one has dishwashing detergent on board, but otherwise, it's a great idea.

On the Expedition last month. Everyone was given a large Nalgene bottle, several refill stations were available. Crew were happy to help those who didn’t get the “self service” notion. The water tasted good and

I heard nobody complaining about the lack of commercial bottled water.

On a recent “behind-the-scenes” tour on the Equinox, they showed us the ship’s recycling center on Deck 1. I asked the recycling manager the same question you posed and he said that they hand-sort all of the garbage to separate out plastic, glass, etc. He implied that =X= wasn’t confident they could count on pax to keep garbage and recyclables separate on their own. It didn’t seem very efficient to me.

I did a tour on RCCL and saw the same hand sort area. They told us that the crew keeps the money from the recycling. It goes into a crew account for all the crew for things like parties or special events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to think that Celebrity wouldn't be so foolish to do that - something like that (fraud) could be ruinous to a company's reputation and could result in major legal action

Fancy restaurants do it. They put fresh water in their giant glass bottles make it to look like they just opened them up for your table. :rolleyes:

On the Expedition last month. Everyone was given a large Nalgene bottle, several refill stations were available. Crew were happy to help those who didn’t get the “self service” notion. The water tasted good and

I heard nobody complaining about the lack of commercial bottled water.

I don't want to carry around a large Nalgene bottle, but suppose I could bring my own. But then again, would be drinking the filtered, saline, off tasting water.:(:loudcry: What about all the other things that come in plastic bottles? Vitamin Water Zero, Tonic waters, etc...

Fancy restaurants do it. They put fresh water in their giant glass bottles make it to look like they just opened them up for your table. :rolleyes:

Which fancy restaurants do this? Name and shame them,

This has the whiff of an apocryphal story about it IMHO. There might be A few disreputable businesses doing it but I can't believe it is an industry wide standard practice.

Just because a bottle comes opened doesn't mean it has had tap water put in it. In the U.K. Fake goods such as wines and spirits ending up on shop and restaurant shelves is more of an issue these days.

Many hotels and larger restaurants have their own water bottling units these days and bottle water on site for table use but I've never seen them or even heard of them trying to pass that off as a manufacturers brand. Isnt a lot of bottled water you buy just bottled tap water - Aquafina and Dasani being two I recall.

If I distrusted a restaurant so much that I was suspicious of the bottled water I sure as heck woukdn't let them cook my food.

Edited by DYKWIA

I 100% support this!

My workplace moved to plastic-free last year, and while I was originally pessimistic and against it (like some posters here) I've totally changed my mind and am fully behind this. From my experience it's possible to think of 100 reasons why it won't work, but if you just get on with it then everything will work out.

Personally, I think now anyone who cares about the oceans (and I guess most cruisers do) should care about reducing/eliminating plastic consumption.

The older AIDA cruise ships do have water refill stations on each cabin deck. TUI cruises does provide glass caraffes in each cabin plus refill stations on each cabin deck.

Heathrow airport has bottle refill station right after security and encourage the people not to throw away their bottles at security but keep the empty ones and refill them after.

steamboats

A bottle of water costs around 50 cents and they resell it for around $4. Do you really think they will do away with bottles of water. A trial in the crew mess is not like a trial with the passengers. One can refill water bottles in the buffet now if one chooses