Christmas Day in the Falklands

Classiccruiser777

We are going on the Marina over Christmas, 2019, on a Patagonia cruise. On Christmas we visit Stanley and expect most, if not every shop, will be closed. We are most concerned about shore excursions and want to see the rockhopper penguins. Does anyone have experience visiting the Falklands on one of the more significant holidays and taking shore excursions? Thank you.

We were there December 2012 and told that shore-ex run every day a ship is in, Christmas included.

Were also told an (apocryphal?) story that the Christmas Day prior a tourist walking about on her own hailed down a walking tour to ask what this thing was she'd found in a field.

"You don't want it."

Turned out the Falklands had received several thousand, um, tourists from, erm, Eastern Chile in the early 80s, and they'd left some belongings behind. This one, was an unexploded mine.

The tourist business brings in lots of money--almost anyone with a four wheel vehicle is working the days the ship(s) are in--I would think they would still be doing so along with the shops being open. But--I wasn't there on a major holiday.

Several locals I met wouldn't say the A-word...

The last time that we were in Chile, a shopkeeper told us this anecdote:

In a mountain pass, a starving dog headed into Argentina passed a fat healthy dog headed towards Chile.

Why Chile? asked the starving dog.

I want to Bark, was the reply. :halo::evilsmile::rolleyes:

All wonderful advice and comments. However, this assumes that one can get into the Falklands that day. Weather and seas prevent a lot, more than a lot of Stanley landings... Don't count on it too much.

• 2 weeks later...
All wonderful advice and comments. However, this assumes that one can get into the Falklands that day. Weather and seas prevent a lot, more than a lot of Stanley landings... Don't count on it too much.

Good point.The weather changes dramatically during the day,most days.We had a wonderful day,touring the battlefields and enjoying the Falklanders hospitality.A week prior to our ships arrival a cruise ship had tenders take over passengers but the weather turned so quickly,they were unable to return.These passengers boarded overnight with locals.!

• 3 weeks later...
We are going on the Marina over Christmas, 2019, on a Patagonia cruise. On Christmas we visit Stanley and expect most, if not every shop, will be closed. We are most concerned about shore excursions and want to see the rockhopper penguins. Does anyone have experience visiting the Falklands on one of the more significant holidays and taking shore excursions? Thank you.

We were on the Oceania cruise in the Falklands on Christmas day some years ago. We took the Oceania bus tour around town. Very boring. Then we walked around town and found a cute little museum that was open. Walked around the supermarket on the main street. Pretty empty of stuff. Could not find an open restaurant in town so we took the tender back to the ship and had lunch in Waves. Some people went to see the giant penguin.

I would love to see the penguins too, but everyone must know in these major Catholic countries they take holidays and Sundays seriously. Wouldn't expect too much. If you want something specific I would try to book a private tour.

I would love to see the penguins too, but everyone must know in these major Catholic countries they take holidays and Sundays seriously. Wouldn't expect too much. If you want something specific I would try to book a private tour.

Where did you get the idea that the Falklands is a 'major Catholic country' ?

Port Stanley is a small town with a very British, circa 1950's, feel to it.

Tourism is an important earner for them and as someone else said the tours will run whenever a ship is in.

The penguins are the main attraction and I can highly recommend Patrick Watts and his guides.

We were on the Oceania cruise in the Falklands on Christmas day some years ago. We took the Oceania bus tour around town. Very boring. Then we walked around town and found a cute little museum that was open. Walked around the supermarket on the main street. Pretty empty of stuff. Could not find an open restaurant in town so we took the tender back to the ship and had lunch in Waves. Some people went to see the giant penguin.

Did you actually do any research before you took this cruise? :confused:

We were just in the falklands. It is not a shopper’s paradise. Book a trip to see the amazing king penguins with Patrick watts

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had a fabulous day with with Patrick! It wasn’t Christmas however....

We were there in December 2015 and used Patrick Watts for a very bumpy and jaw rattling trip in a 4x4 to Volunteer Point. Hundreds of penguins. Very cold but sunny day. Highly recommend unless you have back problems.

AGAIN, all this is assuming the ship can even stop, Last I heard only about 50% of the ships that try to stop can actually get in I would not get to wound up over this port.

Guess we are lucky then as we are 2 for 2. First time there on Insignia in 2005 and again in 2012 on a 122 passenger expedition ship.

As to penguins, we saw many Gentoo and a few Kings on a tour from Port Stanley but the Rockhoppers we saw were on Bleaker Island.

There are very few shops in the port so if that is important to you, visit them if you see they are open,

Best wishes for good landing weather as it is a unique experience to visit the Falklands.

Made it into port (not Xmas day) and the Patrick Watts tour we consider to be our BEST ever shore excursion....book it early as he is very popular and tours sell out quickly...I think we booked 1.5 years out. And he has an incredible story re the war to tell as well. Yes...you are in a 4X4....;yes you travel over bogs and yes...it got a bit scary a few times...in fact the driver said "Thank you for not screaming" when the 4X4 was close to tipping over!! Would I do it again?....in a heartbeat!...up close and personal interactions with 3 types of penguins...and seals in the surf as well. While we saw many penguins in other locations on our 2 cruises to SA...this was the best!!! Enjoy! LuAnn

We did not make it on Oceania. The Captain lost the anchor and we could not tender. Perfectly calm day.

We made it to Stanley on Boxing day on Silversea Expedition. Most shops were closed, however a few were open -- our tours were running. We did a Falklands war tour which was great -- done by Patrick Watts. Penguins were not an issue as we had two prior stops in the Falklands were we saw thousand of the the little devils. Everyone I have talked with recommends Patrick Watts' Volunteer. Point penguin tour, he has some great war stories to tell.