Check your room cleanliness and press the issue

No it does not. It is trapped on the filter for a reason.

It does limit the air flow.

What do you work for RCI? Why are you defending the state of this room or at least conveniently ignoring how subpar it is? What’s your angle ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ONE MORE TIME.

A dirty filter actually removes more particulate from the air than a clean one.

Perhaps you could post a link to data that supports this contention.

Everything I've read suggests that dirty air filters will stop being effective. As they reach saturation, fewer and fewer particles can be trapped and so continue to circulate.

What do you work for RCI? Why are you defending the state of this room or at least conveniently ignoring how subpar it is? What’s your angle ?

lMax, please understand some individuals posting on these sites are compensated influencers, they do not work directly for the cruise lines but are compensated through various means for pushing the “nothing to see here” move along mantra.

lMax, please understand some individuals posting on these sites are compensated influencers, they do not work directly for the cruise lines but are compensated through various means for pushing the “nothing to see here” move along mantra.

Sadly these individuals do not have to clearly identify themselves as compensated schills.

Here is the latest inspection report - https://wwwn.cdc.gov/inspectionquerytool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTkzMDA0MDA%3d-FHoml9Ll3bI%3d it concentrates on kitchens. No mention of rooms. Maybe CDC needs to be made aware of these filter problems.

You can also look on this CDC website and see which ships have scored 100 on their inspections in the past year. Interesting to see!!! I also agree that they need to check the rooms during their inspections but they probably don't check the eating areas, common areas and pool areas either.

Sadly these individuals do not have to clearly identify themselves as compensated schills.

Not necessarily true...the FTC is working on this and going after individuals who make false claims on social media with the intent to persuade individuals decision making. The FTC is making it clear influencers need to clearly disclose their relationship.

You can also look on this CDC website and see which ships have scored 100 on their inspections in the past year. Interesting to see!!! I also agree that they need to check the rooms during their inspections but they probably don't check the eating areas, common areas and pool areas either.

The reports only cover the deficiencies found. The actual inspection covers virtually the entire ship, and virtually every aspect of ship operations. Areas inspected, in addition to galley sanitation and food safety include: medical center documentation, potable water production, loading, and distribution (both structural systems and sanitizing procedures), pools and water facilities (structural, safety and sanitation), HVAC systems (cleanliness, filters, and sanitizing methods), lighting, housekeeping (both crew and passenger cabins are inspected, as well as all public spaces (dining rooms, atriums, theaters, bars, lounges, etc), again both from a structural as well as operational standpoint), including things like the scheduled sanitizing of shower heads, laundry operations, pest control, child care facilities.

If you're interested, here is the VSP operations manual, which outlines all the things the ship needs to do while in operation, just updated this year, all 291 pages of it:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/docs/vsp_operations_manual_2018-508.pdf

And here is the construction manual, covering all aspects of ship construction in regards to sanitation and public health, that the ship must meet at newbuild and continue to meet through the ship's life:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/docs/vsp_construction_guidelines_2018-508.pdf

From the 1st document

Inspection and Maintenance Plan (43) Vessels must have a plan to inspect and maintain HVAC systems in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations and industry standards. The written inspection, cleaning, and maintenance plan for the HVAC system must be maintained on the vessel and available for review during inspections.

And in the 2nd document

33.1 Air Supply Systems

33.1.1 Accessible - Design and install air handling units to be ACCESSIBLE for periodic inspections and air intake filter changing.

Not well written, as one way to read it means they simply need to have a plan in place, not written evidence that they are implementing the plan.

The reports only cover the deficiencies found. The actual inspection covers virtually the entire ship, and virtually every aspect of ship operations. Areas inspected, in addition to galley sanitation and food safety include: medical center documentation, potable water production, loading, and distribution (both structural systems and sanitizing procedures), pools and water facilities (structural, safety and sanitation), HVAC systems (cleanliness, filters, and sanitizing methods), lighting, housekeeping (both crew and passenger cabins are inspected, as well as all public spaces (dining rooms, atriums, theaters, bars, lounges, etc), again both from a structural as well as operational standpoint), including things like the scheduled sanitizing of shower heads, laundry operations, pest control, child care facilities.

If you're interested, here is the VSP operations manual, which outlines all the things the ship needs to do while in operation, just updated this year, all 291 pages of it:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/docs/vsp_operations_manual_2018-508.pdf

And here is the construction manual, covering all aspects of ship construction in regards to sanitation and public health, that the ship must meet at newbuild and continue to meet through the ship's life:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/docs/vsp_construction_guidelines_2018-508.pdf

Thanks for the info!! That's good to know!!

From the 1st document

Inspection and Maintenance Plan (43) Vessels must have a plan to inspect and maintain HVAC systems in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations and industry standards. The written inspection, cleaning, and maintenance plan for the HVAC system must be maintained on the vessel and available for review during inspections.

And in the 2nd document

33.1 Air Supply Systems

33.1.1 Accessible - Design and install air handling units to be ACCESSIBLE for periodic inspections and air intake filter changing.

Not well written, as one way to read it means they simply need to have a plan in place, not written evidence that they are implementing the plan.

Continue your quote from the Operations manual:

"Documentation of the inspection, cleaning, and maintenance plan must beavailable for review during inspections.An electronic maintenance tracking system is acceptable for both theplan and the documentation if the work description and actioncompleted are available."

Bolding is mine. For those in industrial maintenance, the word "plan" does not imply simply a plan of what should be done, but a record of what has been done according to the plan. What use is an "electronic tracking system" for a one time written plan? That is a description of an industry standard electronic planned, preventative maintenance system. This system is required not only by USPH for systems involved in ship sanitation, but by port state agencies (USCG to ensure compliance with the ISM code) and class societies to ensure compliance with their rules which underwrite the ship's insurance.

Of course there are preventive maintenance plans and required procedures followed by inspections. So what? This does nothing to comfort the reputable OP who had an extremely filthy room. Kudos to the OP for pointing it out. By voicing his displeasure, at a minimum it brings to surface those accountable for the issues. Sunlight is the greatest disinfectant.

Everything I've read suggests that dirty air filters will stop being effective. As they reach saturation, fewer and fewer particles can be trapped and so continue to circulate.

As an HVAC guy having worked in the industry for close to 30 years now, dirty filters will filter more stuff but it will slow down airflow. Now if it becomes so dirty that it is sucked out of filter rack, then you will have unfiltered air getting through.

Depending on what type of HVAC unit it is, the reduced air flow can harm the equipment. If it has a refrigerant coil, it can freeze up. If it is a chilled water coil, no real damage will happen.

Now I am not saying it is OK not the change filters are anything like that. Just stating that a dirty filter does not start allowing unfiltered air to get through it.

Not going to read the entire thread so if this has been said forgive me.

My experience with uncleanliness in a cabin was in a suite on Carnival. When we got in the room I wasnot that pleased it just didn`t seem "right" somehow. The next day as I was pulling the curtain back in the living room behind the couch there was a lot of garbage, dust, hair :eek: I inspected the entire suite I was disgusted even the balcony was a mess, clogged drains full of gunk and there were bugs all over.

I called for the deck supervisor and he came within minutes. He took pictures. I said I wanted all the furniture shampooed pulled away from the wall and all the carpeting shampooed as well as the balcony washed.

Then I asked about the vents he said the filters were changed every 3 months . This was a housekeeping issue.

When we got back from dinner it was a different cabin...shampooed...dusted...furniture repaired. I was a happy cruiser.

Allergies can come from many sources not only the HAVAC system....so inspect, inspect, inspect EVERYTHING.

I work in occupational health and safety.

And deal with and design ventilation systems as part of my profession.

I am not commenting on the other issues in the cabin, just the comments about the air filter being dirty. WHICH IS NO BIG DEAL. No matter how much you want to try to make of it.

You probably also believe in duct cleaning. Which is a huge scam.

I am not commenting on the other issues in the cabin, just the comments about the air filter being dirty. WHICH IS NO BIG DEAL. No matter how much you want to try to make of it.

You don't think the filter is indicative of the standards of cleanliness and maintenance of the rest of the room? There's no correlation? It is disconnected and "no big deal"? Put your thousands of dollars on the line for filth and let us know your opinion then.

As far as your tactic of asserting I believe in random scams, I don't know what point you are getting at but when you can handle an adult discussion the rest of us will be waiting.

Like I said, wish I had posted all the photos together so the internet air filter experts did not have their one thing to latch on. How about that hair and dust though?

Then the things you have read are wrong.

There is one case, where the filter gets so loaded, and the system so powerful, that it dislodges the filter and suck are around it.

Otherwise, as you put dust and dirt on a filter, it fills up the holes, making them smaller. Smaller holes trap smaller particles. And so on, until nothing, even air flows through.

This is for any air filter, including your house, your car engine filter, and your car cabin air filter.

Wow. Do you have ANY source that says I am compensated by any cruise line?

Otherwise, what you are stating is libelous.

I am not employed by, or otherwise compensated by ANY cruise line.

I do happen to be a certified professional in occupational health and safety, and have been in the field for over 34 years. And have been involved with designing, testing, evaluating, and trouble shooting a number of ventilation systems from home HVAC to large buildings, to industrial operations.

I also hold a Bachelor of Engineering Science in Bio-engineering, including course work in Mechanical Engineering, including fluid dynamics.

And what is YOUR expertise in this field?

As an HVAC guy having worked in the industry for close to 30 years now, dirty filters will filter more stuff but it will slow down airflow. Now if it becomes so dirty that it is sucked out of filter rack, then you will have unfiltered air getting through.

Depending on what type of HVAC unit it is, the reduced air flow can harm the equipment. If it has a refrigerant coil, it can freeze up. If it is a chilled water coil, no real damage will happen.

Now I am not saying it is OK not the change filters are anything like that. Just stating that a dirty filter does not start allowing unfiltered air to get through it.

Thanks. :D

Perhaps you could post some links for data that support the contention that clogged air filters, like the one pictured, are "no big deal".

Wow. Do you have ANY source that says I am compensated by any cruise line?

Reading comprehension is your friend.....at no point was my comment specifically directed to you. It is a general statement about web sites. The OP is/was being grilled, disqualified and misdirected by several for simply posting a topical discussion about room cleanliness. This is what this cruise board is for. I for one am grateful for the awareness the OP's post brings. It is disturbing for long time cruisers who are witnessing first hand the deterioration in over all service. I do not think I am far off with my earlier post about the possibility of a futuristic up charging for better service. Carnival seems to be setting the table with their current "when do you want your room cleaned" room steward question at the beginning of each cruise. I would not be surprised if this turns into a "we will stop by once a day" and anything further will result in a service charge.

Maybe because I am one of the few that has been saying that the filter is no big deal, and immediately after one of those posts, you bring up paid shills. Maybe next time, when you post such things right after a dissenting opinion, you point you are you NOT saying this about the previous poster.

Many hotels are now giving extra loyalty points for not having your room cleaned every day.

Yep, you hit it right, homes in New England tend to be older, and forced hot air heat and central air conditioning are the exceptions and not the norm.
My Florida, Virginia, Missouri, Maryland, and Georgia homes have all had filter at unit. My Alabama house was the only one with filter at return.

I kind of liked filter at return because you could see it was dirty. Many of our 'southern' homes had air handler in the attic. Had to pull down stairs to get up there

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk