Bermuda Vs. Caribbean- Please help me decide

Biris

Hi all,

I need your input/vote to help me decide between the following cruises:

1. A 7 day cruise to Bermuda on the Escape out of New York for the last week of May 2019. $800 more.

2. A 8 day cruise to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turks, Aruba, and Curaçao on Carnival Magic out of Fort Lauderdale, last week of May 2019.

We have kids ages 8-15. We have been to multiple Caribbean islands but have never been to Curacao, Grand Turks, or Aruba. We have never been to Bermuda either.

Which one would you choose and why?

TIA

Hi all,

I need your input/vote to help me decide between the following cruises:

1. A 7 day cruise to Bermuda on the Escape out of New York for the last week of May 2019. $800 more.

2. A 8 day cruise to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turks, Aruba, and Curaçao on Carnival Magic out of Fort Lauderdale, last week of May 2019.

We have kids ages 8-15. We have been to multiple Caribbean islands but have never been to Curacao, Grand Turks, or Aruba. We have never been to Bermuda either.

Which one would you choose and why?

TIA

to be honest, and this is hard for me to say, with 2 kids and new ports to you, I think I would choose Carnival. Equal ports, no way would I suggest Carnival. If you do choose Carnival be sure to encourage the kids to snorkel in Curacoa.

I'd choose the Carnival itinerary because it's 8 days, costs less, and the ports are great. Though we really love NCL, and we want to get to Bermuda one of these cruises, we sailed Carnival this past February and got to Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. Both were great, though HMC seemed more relaxed because they can only tender in one ship at a time (had 2 ships in GT, so it was busy!).

Lived on Curaçao; vacationed on Aruba when I was there.

Call it pride-of-place, but I think they are very underappreciated ports.

Lots to do, not expensive, and that time of year you are 100% guaranteed good weather.

US dollars accepted (local guilders pegged).

Language barrier is non-existent (everyone speaks four languages) and most parts of the islands are extremely safe.

Hi, where do you live? Would you have to fly to both ports and do your cost estimates include flights and pre-cruise hotel night? If flight cost isn't a factor, I think I would choose the Caribbean simply because with kids the 3 sea days on the Escape might get a bit long. You could find enough fun things to do in Bermuda for the 3 days, but the number of sea days on that itinerary tip me over to the Magic. When my kids were little, I recall not really enjoying the sea days (long days chasing them around the ship!). With kids, the variety of the different ports will bring new adventures to every day. Additionally, late May can still bring cool weather to NYC, the northern Atlantic, and Bermuda so hot & sunny pool deck and beach days may not be a guarantee. In Bermuda, could be in the low 70's and with water temps still in the min 70's. May also be beautiful and in the 80's, but there is a risk of cooler and rainy weather coming and going to NYC.

If you really want to sail on NCL (maybe you'd prefer freestyle cruising vs. Carnival?) what about the rather interesting itinerary for May '19 on the Breakaway to Honduras, Belize and Mexico?

Happy planning!

Lynne

From my personal experience any cruise on an NCL ship is FAR superior at ANY cruise on CCL. Ship, food, entertainment all MUCH better on NCL.

totally agree but considering the itinerary and 2 kids, Carnival seems like a better bet.

Thank you all for your replies. We have 4 kids total in our group, and they are all spoiled with beautiful beaches that they now prefer big pools instead! It seems like the Caribbean won! I actually booked carnival Magic 2 months ago, but now is torn because of recent reviews of the Bemuda, and we’ve been on the Magic twice already. We can go to Bermuda in 2020 I guess :D

Have you thought about RCC out of NJ on the Anthem. It’s a 9 day cruise that first goes to Bermuda then to the Caribbean. I think it goes to PR, St Martin then Labadee Hatti their private island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my personal experience any cruise on an NCL ship is FAR superior at ANY cruise on CCL. Ship, food, entertainment all MUCH better on NCL.

Opinions...we all have one, right? I go back and forth between Carnival and NCL, depending on the itinerary I'm looking for. I agree that NCL wins, hands down, when it comes to entertainment. They may have a slight edge when it comes to ships, but the biggest thing I dread about cruising NCL is the food. Sure, you can get decent food if you pay extra for the specialty restaurants, but the MDR is miserable. (Again, my opinion.)

All of that considered, with kids, I would definitely book Carnival Magic. Seems to be more for kids to do in the Caribbean.

Love the stops for Carnival... Really dislike Carnival. I would go NCL over the carnival, even with the stops. WE have 2 girls, They love the teen and kids club on NCL 1000% over Carnival. Plus the Escape is a great boat, with way better food and drinks included.

I am assuming that airfare is necessary for both cruises.

HMC is a private island and Grand Turk is a beach day at Margaritaville for 90% of those who disembark. IMHO, Bermuda is more for touring activities (but Horseshoe Bay is a must go to at least once beach). The water may be a bit cool for some in May.

You will have a good time on either, but the Carnival cruise may be better for your children.

There are plenty of options out of the FLL/MIA area that you might want to explore before a final decision.

For kids that age, the Escape is going to be LOADED with things for the kids to do. Those saying that Carnival would be better for kids must be thinking of other NCL ships.

That said, I think Bermuda is pretty boring for kids. Caribbean is going to be more of a party, and Bermuda is going to be more classy. If you are really into water activities such as snorkeling, Caribbean beats Bermuda most the time.

I would say go with best ports which is the Carnival ship. Turks has a tour where they can learn about John Glenn space capsule recovery in the 60's.

You should go on to You Tube and look at videos of both ships and islands

Half Moon is a great family beach and is rated 2nd behind Disney Castaway Cay.

I was on the Escape and very nice for families with rope course.

Bermuda is nice but the island is crowded with cars but beaches are great.

Also the NCL Bliss will be doing Bermuda I think later or in 2020.

Good luck making choice but I will lean towards Carnival this time. Then try the Bliss for Alaska in 2020.

I don’t have kids but most people I know with kids go on Carnival for the price. Personally, if I had kids, I would still sail on Royal Caribbean because of the treatments that they have. To me they treat you a whole lot better. At many times the element can be terrible on Carnival. As far as where to go, I’ve been to the Caribbean many of times but would choose eastern over western because I got drowned out with going to Cozumel so much. I know my way around well there. Been to Aruba and Curaçao a few times and I think you would like it. They are nice places. I highly recommend Royal but if you talk to enough people, you will get different opinions. But just pull out what each person says about each cruise line and be your own judge if you haven’t been on different ones already. Good luck and enjoy yourself on whichever you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Been on both EXACT ITINERARIES

Carnival 8 day! For 800$ less is by far your better option.

For young kids bermuda can be boring docked for 3 days. Not just onky having beaches but excursions are VERY EXPENSIVE.

Carnival will fit your needs best ! And grand turk once you go you will be addicted!!!!!!! Your kids will have a blast