Montreal Cruise Port Closed for "Weather" on May 6?

jimdee3636

My wife and I are booked on the Marina's "Majestic Passage" cruise (Montreal to Southampton, England, leaving May 6). We got an e-mail today from our TA informing us that "due to weather conditions in Montreal, it has been necessary to change the embarkation port to Trois Rivieres, Quebec." That city is about an hour and a half away. Supposedly, bus transfers will be provided for everyone (even those who, like us, did not purchase pre-cruise transfers from Oceania). But the Montreal weather forecast for May 6 is for sunny skies and 67 degrees.

This all seems strange. I tried getting through to Oceania and the TA but was on hold forever. Does anyone have any additional information about any of this? Thanks.

I live in the greater Montreal area. Tonight, we had warnings of severe thunderstorms and strong winds. The thunderstorm alert has now ended. Strong winds still expected later. Water levels in the St-Lawrence river are high.

I am wondering if these condition may impact your ship reaching Montreal.

This said, you’re correct, May 7 and May 8 are supposed to be very nice. So, I’m also curious about what could prevent your ship to get to Montreal.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Could be the weather between Trois Rivieres and Montreal is expected to be bad on the 7th making it hard to get to Montreal by the 8th.

Also if river levels are a lot higher there can be issues for getting under bridges.

We are on Marina now. The best explanation I received was from the reception desk, We could not understand the captain’s announcement.

There will be swells in Montreal that preclude the ship from entering a narrow passage, not sure where the passage is.

Passengers will be bused either to the Montreal port or the airport early Tuesday morning, it is a one hour and forty five minute transfer.

We are disappointed to miss Montreal, the ship was overnighting there and we had a private tour planned. But there is nothing we can do about it.

Our time in Saguenay was also cut because the ship had to slow down due to whales. Most tours there were canceled due to a delayed arrival at 2pm.

I am surprised and disappointed for you about your late arrival in Saguenay.

Surprised because, to my knowledge, the ship speed reduction regulation in place on the St-Lawrence river has been effective for quite a few months by now, in order to protect black whales.

This said, after further research, the speed limit which became effective in August 2017, was lifted in January 2018. ( I was unaware of that). Then, I learned that the speed limit was reinstated at the end of April 2018; which may explain why the cruiseline did not have time to readjust the itinerary.

I hope you were able to have time to enjoy yourself in Quebec and during your cruise despite this unfortunate turn of events.

Au nom des Québécois! Bonjour!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For anyone on the May 8 Majestic Passage

Important Itinerary Change

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Agent Partner,

We would like to advise you of an update to your cruise itinerary aboard
Marina.
Due to weather conditions it has been necessary to change the embarkation port to Trois Rivieres, Quebec.

Transportation will be provided for all guests arriving into Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport
Please look for our Oceania Cruises Representatives holding Oceania Cruises signs when you exit the baggage claim area. They will direct you to awaiting transfer vehicles.

We will also have representatives offering assistance to guests at the cruise terminal in Montreal as of
to facilitate transportation to the ship.

Guests who are on any of our pre-hotel packages will be transferred to the vessel as normal. All transportation arrangements are complimentary and any guests who have booked transfers through Oceania Cruises will be refunded for this expense on board.

The revised portion of the schedule is provided below for your reference:

DATE

DAY

PORT

ARRIVAL

DEPARTURE

ORIGINAL PORT

TUE

TROIS-RIVIERES, QUEBEC

DOCKED

MONTREAL, QUEBEC

WED

TROIS-RIVIERES, QUEBEC

MIDNIGHT

We apologize for this inconvenience and look forward to welcoming you aboard
Marina.

Warmest Regards,

Carlos Ortega

Vice President, Passenger Services

Oceania Cruises

About 5-6 years ago we were driving from the Gaspe to Quebec City. The rains were fierce, water was coming up to the highway, and I sympathized with anyone trying to sail up the driver. So I can see where problems might arise.

Very disappointing to passengers who can't get to Montreal, of course.

Mura

Update:

We just got an e-mail from friends who are on the Marina right now. The ship is staying an extra day in Quebec City. But the cruise will end in Trois Rivieres on Tuesday, which means that those having flights home from the Montreal airport that day will have to take a long (and early) bus ride in weekday traffic to get there. By the way, "high water levels" on the river is the official explanation. I wish they had said that in the initial e-mail instead of just "weather conditions," which is vague and confusing.

I wish they had said that in the initial e-mail instead of just "weather conditions," which is vague and confusing.

Maybe that was the reason given from the port authority

They have had lots of rain plus snow melt that runs into the St Lawrence

N.B. is flooded in some of the areas.... people being evacuated from their homes

We are leaving Saguenay now, the change to arrival time was made some week or so before we left, some people got notifications via their TA. As it happened the sail in being in daylight greatly enhanced the visit.

The announcement by the CD said that the water levels were high and this was the reason we couldn’t go into Montreal. Anyone with O transfers to or from the ship are getting the money refunded, everyone will be bused to or from Montreal airport or port for free.

For Those of us onboard now and staying on for the 8th May cruise there is a free Montreal On Your Own on the 8th May from Trois Rivieres, they may do the same for the 9th May for the new arrivals.

The water levels and force we have seen in the rivers here today convinced anyone who saw them that there could well be issues.

Maybe that was the reason given from the port authority

They have had lots of rain plus snow melt that runs into the St Lawrence

N.B. is flooded in some of the areas.... people being evacuated from their homes

The New Brunswick flooding is the St. John River intop the Bay of Fundy... nothing to do with the St. Lawrence.

Aside: an extra day in Quebec City actually feels like a win.

People in Montreal have pride in where they live, but for most tourists Quebec City should be far more interesting.

Thank goodness for CC and this roll call. We are independent travelers and have spent the last 3 days in Montreal. I have read the reports on here about Marina not docking in Montreal and the arrangements to take us to Trois Rivieres. I have not received any communication from either Oceania or our TA so, had I not seen the information on here, we would have been driving up to the quay and probably panicked because we couldn’t see the ship.

Thank you to all who have posted....we are very grateful and I will be bringing this lack of communication to the notice of both Oceania and our TA.

The New Brunswick flooding is the St. John River intop the Bay of Fundy... nothing to do with the St. Lawrence.

Aside: an extra day in Quebec City actually feels like a win.

People in Montreal have pride in where they live, but for most tourists Quebec City should be far more interesting.

We are on board. Oceania cruisers are seasoned travelers and we are taking the changes in stride.

However, I don’t consider the extra day in QC a win. Originally we were to be docked there 12 hours, plenty of time to see a lot. Then we were to dock Monday 8am in Quebec, with an overnight before disembarkation Tuesday. Many of us were to be first time visitors and had private tours arranged plus independent explorations planned.

But we will miss Montreal completely, save the airport. We have a 10:30 am flight. We need to be on the pier with luggage ready to load at 5:45 for the bus to the airport.

Some really unfortunate people had 7am flights Tuesday so they had to leave QC this morning for a four hour bus ride to a Montreal airport hotel. Some were Australians who were flying home.

We still had a great trip on the wonderful Marina.

Thank goodness for CC and this roll call. We are independent travelers and have spent the last 3 days in Montreal. I have read the reports on here about Marina not docking in Montreal and the arrangements to take us to Trois Rivieres. I have not received any communication from either Oceania or our TA so, had I not seen the information on here, we would have been driving up to the quay and probably panicked because we couldn’t see the ship.

Thank you to all who have posted....we are very grateful and I will be bringing this lack of communication to the notice of both Oceania and our TA.

Yikes!

Glad you were reading here.

We were originally booked for your leg of the cruise, which we canceled due to some family happenings.

Buses are dropping us off either at the airport or at the cruise terminal. I’m sure the same buses will be turned right around to take new passengers to the ship. You will be OK.

The Marina is terrific, as always. We love this ship. The crew is absolutely wonderful and they will take good care of you.

Enjoy.

Edited by sammiedawg

Thanks to everyone on here and the roll call board who posted information about the itinerary change and the arrangements for getting us to Trois Rivieres. It was a bit chaotic at the Montreal quay because a lot of people, including us, arrived at 10.00 but we were on the bus by 10.40 for the 90 minute ride.

It was interesting to see how much flooding there was in the countryside along the river. It really confirmed the fact that the river water level is very high.

We were on board having a lovely lunch at 13.00.

We are now looking forward to a trouble free cruise.

Thanks again.

The reason why the ship have to stop in Trois Rivières is because the level of the St-Lawrence river is to high and the ship can not pass under the bridge of Trois Rivières.

Boucalatrem

empofscotland-3f-03-1.jpg

This is not a new occurrence.

Canadian Pacific lowered the masts on their (formerly transpacific) Empress of Scotland, so that she could more regularly get under both the Quebec Bridge (about 5 miles upstream from Quebec City) and the Jacques Cartier Bridge at Montreal.

p1020915-2.jpg

The channel into Montreal had previously been deepened specifically for the Empress of Scotland, which was the largest vessel ever to dock in Montreal, up until that time. Interestingly, at 30, 030 tons, she was almost exactly the size of an R ship (which are 30,300 tons).

cruise-ship-sirena.jpg?x23406

Edited by StanandJim