Library on Koningsdam?

Zeno

No library. There is a small area on the side of the Crows Nest with an atlas and a few take one leave books from guests. The Koningsdam is a beautiful ship with much to offer, but with the popularity of E books and on line access (which is not free in most cases), the company will not offer libraries on new builds according to the officers.

This is....sadly.....the Koningsdam library....

The books on the two sets of shelving units on the right....were not in English....

I left two paperbacks and they were gone within minutes....

However....every other part of the Koningsdam was great....!!!!

23w5l5s.jpg

Our CD Carson on the Kdam last year stated that HAL is losing lots of money on the conventional library due to stolen or damaged books so don't look for a library you have back home

Please drop off finished books or magazines so others can enjoy

Bob

No there isn't, it's a weird ship...

That is one personal opinion. Another personal opinion (mine) is that K'dam is a wonderful ship with a great crew. Sailed on her twice and have her booked for another two cruises. Nothing weird about that :D

We were on the K'Dam in Jan/Feb. During the Capt coffee talk he said that during the dry dock this fall they would be expanding the library. From further discussion with the CD it appears that most of the books to be added will be related to the areas the ship is visiting and not the traditional library like the one's on the Maasdam or Veendam.

We're just off the Koningsdam after a 12 day European cruise (Rome to Amsterdam). Even though most people on the cruise had to fly to either Rome to embark or Amsterdam to disembark, or both like myself, I noticed MANY passengers were reading traditional hard-cover books. So they managed to squeeze them into their suitcases after all! Our Koningsdam experience was wonderful. Great ship with great crew! Would definitely sail again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No there isn't, it's a weird ship...
Weird? Can't imagine why you would say that, K'dam is a lovely ship. Yes, we wish there was a library, but this does not make it "weird"- just moving in a different direction, like most cruiselines are doing.

Weird? Can't imagine why you would say that, K'dam is a lovely ship. Yes, we wish there was a library, but this does not make it "weird"- just moving in a different direction, like most cruiselines are doing.

Totally agree with you. We loved the Koningsdam. We have sailed three time on her and would gladly sail on her again. She is definitely not weird.

Our CD Carson on the Kdam last year stated that HAL is losing lots of money on the conventional library due to stolen or damaged books so don't look for a library you have back home

Please drop off finished books or magazines so others can enjoy

Bob

Please please

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We're just off the Koningsdam after a 12 day European cruise (Rome to Amsterdam). Even though most people on the cruise had to fly to either Rome to embark or Amsterdam to disembark, or both like myself, I noticed MANY passengers were reading traditional hard-cover books. So they managed to squeeze them into their suitcases after all! Our Koningsdam experience was wonderful. Great ship with great crew! Would definitely sail again.

That's great! Did they leave them on the exchange shelves so they didn't have to take them home? I've been on several B2B on K'dam and witnessed every time that books were left on the last night and then they magically disappeared upon the embarkation of new passengers. Not exactly the definition of EXCHANGE. I always bring a couple of paperbacks that I don't want to keep in addition to my 10 downloaded library books on my kindle. I've spent more days on K'dam than any other ship so far and am looking to the next new ship in December with lots of sea days to read.

That's great! Did they leave them on the exchange shelves so they didn't have to take them home? I've been on several B2B on K'dam and witnessed every time that books were left on the last night and then they magically disappeared upon the embarkation of new passengers. Not exactly the definition of EXCHANGE. I always bring a couple of paperbacks that I don't want to keep in addition to my 10 downloaded library books on my kindle. I've spent more days on K'dam than any other ship so far and am looking to the next new ship in December with lots of sea days to read.

I have no idea what other people did with their books. This was a VERY port-intensive cruise with only 2 sea days on a 12 day cruise. No time to read. My unfinished book is coming home with me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 years later...